Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Giant Shark Megalodon caught on tape?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#16    Aztec Warrior

Aztec Warrior

Ancient Order of Hibernians Grand Master

• 3,339 posts

• A neoconservative is a "liberal mugged by reality," one who became more conservative after seeing the results of liberal policies.Iriving Kristol

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:05 PM

How do you know the size of the cage?  innocent.gif

I looks like an ordinary crab cage. They tend to be about 2 or 3 meters across. And the other sharks are proportional.

Posted ImageBlurring and Stirring the truth and the lies

So I don't know what's real and what's not
Always confusing the thoughts in my head
So I can't trust myself anymore
I'm dying again

#17    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:21 PM

How do you know the size of the cage?  innocent.gif

Exactly, that is no shark cage, it is smaller than that, Even a shark cage is just over 2m. Aztec, they are just sleeper sharks, I know what a sleeper shark looks like (Also known as greenland sharks).

Edited by Mattshark, 05 January 2007 - 03:21 PM.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#18    Aztec Warrior

Aztec Warrior

• 3,339 posts

• A neoconservative is a "liberal mugged by reality," one who became more conservative after seeing the results of liberal policies.Iriving Kristol

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:31 PM

Exactly, that is no shark cage, it is smaller than that, Even a shark cage is just over 2m. Aztec, they are just sleeper sharks, I know what a sleeper shark looks like (Also known as greenland sharks).

Yeah, your probably right. thumbsup.gif

I'm dying again

#19    truethat

truethat

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:34 PM

No no no You are ruining my thread.  Its a monster.....

#20    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:44 PM

No no no You are ruining my thread.  Its a monster.....

Sorry. original.gif

YNWA

#21    Aztec Warrior

Aztec Warrior

• 3,339 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:44 PM

It has five large pairs of gills. Two small eyes are located towards the front of the shark's wide, flat head. The body is mostly grey with a white belly; three prominent ridges run along each side of the animal and the skin is marked with a 'checkerboard' of pale yellow spots and stripes.

linked-image

I don't believe the specimen in the video had these colors.

The largest specimen regarded as accurately recorded was caught on November 11, 1947, near the island of Baba, not far from Karachi, Pakistan. It was 12.65 m (41.5 ft) long, weighed more than 21.5 tons (47,300 lb), and had a girth of 7 m (23 ft).[4] Stories exist of vastly larger specimens - Quoted lengths of 18 m (59 ft) are not uncommon in the popular shark literature - but no scientific records exist to support their existence.

There have even been claims of whale sharks of up to 23 m (75 ft). In 1934 a ship named the "Maurguani" came across a whale shark in the Southern Pacific ocean, rammed it, and the shark consequently became stuck on the prow of the ship, supposedly with 4.6 m (15 ft) on one side and 12.2 m (40 ft) on the other.[5] No reliable documentation exists of those claims and they remain little more than "fish-stories".

source

Edited by Aztec Warrior, 05 January 2007 - 03:45 PM.

I'm dying again

#22    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:49 PM

It has five large pairs of gills. Two small eyes are located towards the front of the shark's wide, flat head. The body is mostly grey with a white belly; three prominent ridges run along each side of the animal and the skin is marked with a 'checkerboard' of pale yellow spots and stripes.

linked-image

I don't believe the specimen in the video had these colors.

The largest specimen regarded as accurately recorded was caught on November 11, 1947, near the island of Baba, not far from Karachi, Pakistan. It was 12.65 m (41.5 ft) long, weighed more than 21.5 tons (47,300 lb), and had a girth of 7 m (23 ft).[4] Stories exist of vastly larger specimens - Quoted lengths of 18 m (59 ft) are not uncommon in the popular shark literature - but no scientific records exist to support their existence.

There have even been claims of whale sharks of up to 23 m (75 ft). In 1934 a ship named the "Maurguani" came across a whale shark in the Southern Pacific ocean, rammed it, and the shark consequently became stuck on the prow of the ship, supposedly with 4.6 m (15 ft) on one side and 12.2 m (40 ft) on the other.[5] No reliable documentation exists of those claims and they remain little more than "fish-stories".

source

I know for sure that it is a sleeper, trust me, I know me sharkies.

YNWA

#23    Aztec Warrior

Aztec Warrior

• 3,339 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:53 PM

Could be a greenland shark, like Matt said.  The colors are similiar, but it seems to small.

linked-image

Greenland sharks are deep-water sharks, living at depths up to 2,000 m (1.24 mi). A 7.3 m (24 ft) specimen is frequently mentioned in the literature, and has come to be accepted as a general maximum length, despite the fact that the measurement is in dispute. As compared to the long-running discussion of the measurements of the great white shark, reported measurements of the Greenland shark face little scrutiny, as it is hardly as famous nor as ferocious as the other predatory sharks. Somewhat more credible is the reports of a 6.4 m (21.3 ft) specimen, caught off the Isle of May, Scotland, in January 1895. The weight was reported at 1,021 kg (2,250 lbs). References exist to a specimen with a weight of 1.4 tons (3,000 lbs), but in this case there is no note of the specimen's length.

shark link

I'm dying again

#24    truethat

truethat

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:53 PM

You know I watched it again and I think the cage is small because its open on either side so it is probably a small cage.  But even if its just the size of a man that shark is still friggin huge in comparison.

#25    Aztec Warrior

Aztec Warrior

• 3,339 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:56 PM

I found it.

linked-image

I'm dying again

#26    Clobhair-cean

Clobhair-cean

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:03 PM

Isn't 7 meters big enough?
linked-image
This is a pacific sleeper shark, a relative of the Greenland shark... The shape and the colour is the same and the size is also quite impressive (the camera that took the film footage was most likely to be small with a narrow field of view, so it would show a big, close thing even bigger than its actual size...)

#27    capeo

capeo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

• Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
    Aldous Huxley, "Proper Studies", 1927

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:03 PM

I assume the video was taken off the coast of Japan thus, given its size, it would have to be a Pacific Sleeper.  But, if were in the North Atlantic than, yes, it would have to be a Greenland Shark.  No other sleepers (that we know of anyway) get to that size, assuming the bait pot is a meter or so in length.  The parasites around its eyes are common to large Sleepers too.

"Come down off the cross, we could use the wood." - Tom Waits

#28    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

✻ Qᴜᴇᴇɴ Eʟsᴀ

• 8,441 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:06 PM

Jesus Christ!!!!! that thing is the largest shark i have ever seen.

Why is it everything in Japan is always bigger? except the people of course they're tiny....

As to what type of shark it is i'm not sure it is either a previously undiscovered species or possibly a megalodon. What tells me this is not the peaceful shrimp eating whale shark is the head. Judging by it's mouth it clearly has a massive bite

I agree with you. O_O

So it's a sleeper shark? Never heard of them before until now.

#29    truethat

truethat

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:20 PM

http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/sharks/great...harkattack.html

can you imagine........freaky

#30    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:09 PM

I agree with you. O_O

So it's a sleeper shark? Never heard of them before until now.

Yes, sleeper sharks are deeper water species, and rarely venture to the upper layers of the ocean...They are as mysterious as sixgill sharks.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users