Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

Conscious succubus experience

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#16    Xzeta

Xzeta

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 64 posts

• Wherever You Go, There You Are

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:01 PM

But have you ever thought that that may be offensive to those of us with mental illnesses?

No. My son has suffered from psychosis for a very long time and I have worked with this condition myself.  To make a theoretical supposition on a board that welcomes "Unexplained Mysteries" is a different matter than if I said this directly to someone who was having a psychotic episode.  Even so, sorry if it upset you.

Xzeta

Learn to be silent - let your quiet mind listen and absorb - PYTHAGORUS

#17    Solidsdemise

Solidsdemise

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 93 posts

• "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C.S. Lewis

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:20 PM

To make a theoretical supposition on a board that welcomes "Unexplained Mysteries" is a different matter than if I said this directly to someone who was having a psychotic episode.  Even so, sorry if it upset you.

Same here... A lot of what I experienced in my psychotic episode was chemicals going awry. However, I wish to explore the doors that psychosis may open. A philosophy prof of mine once said "you have to be a bit cracked out to see the Light." Do people who have such experiences sometimes have such a heightened sense? Are there notable patterns in various forms of psychoses? Is this one path of science: intersecting psychology, religion, and philosophy, that can pursue greater understanding of ourselves and the world beyond the physical?

Edited by Uraeus, 09 January 2007 - 06:28 PM.

#18    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,381 posts

• ~*★*~Engine of destruction~*★*~

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:24 PM

No. My son has suffered from psychosis for a very long time and I have worked with this condition myself.  To make a theoretical supposition on a board that welcomes "Unexplained Mysteries" is a different matter than if I said this directly to someone who was having a psychotic episode.  Even so, sorry if it upset you.

Because your son suffers with episodes doesn't mean someone else who suffers wouldn't take offence.  I get riled up about this subject because of all the negative stigma attached to mental illness.  The things that people think about the mentally ill are just ridiculous sometimes.  It is a subject close to my heart and I am very sensitive about it, I'll admit.  I don't like it when people try and tie the paranormal to the mentally ill.  No one tries to tie diabetics to the paranormal.  Hallucinations do not have to mean paranormal.  I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just don't want any more stigma created that one day I might have to overcome.

Anyway, thanks for the apology.

#19    OMS Transmitting

OMS Transmitting

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:36 PM

But have you ever thought that that may be offensive to those of us with mental illnesses?

Have to agree w Xzeta on this one.  The truth is that none of us knows for sure whether or not there's a r-ship btw. mental illness and paranormal activity.  So we are reduced to admitting the possibility there is such a connection, regardless of how anyone responds to the fact of it.  

To me it seems rather pointless to allow oneself to get offended by a declaration of a possible truth.   Besides, it's all in how the r-ship is perceived.  Some people w/mental illness are praised for alleged psychic abilities while some people are demonized.  It depends.

Also, if any offense is taken, it should be spread to many fellow sufferers who go out of their way to claim psychic powers as the underlying reason for their mental illness.  It's a tricky issue and not everyone agrees this association is the cause of stigma.

Edited by OMS Transmitting, 09 January 2007 - 07:47 PM.

#20    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,381 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:52 PM

Have to agree w Xzeta on this one.  The truth is that none of us knows for sure whether or not there's a r-ship btw. mental illness and paranormal activity.

I know that there isn't.

Not everyone believes in psychic powers.  It's feeding stigma if you ask me.

#21    ~Onyx~

~Onyx~

The Wisest of Asses

• 7,141 posts

• They gave me life, I gave 'em hell.

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:05 PM

You have to ask yourself, which possibility seems more plausable(and just for the record, I could care less if this was a forum about the paranormal, if my opinion happens to not fall under the realm of the paranormal....so be it).....A chance meeting with a Succubus....or an episode brought-on by the combination of fatigue(both mental and physical), and the emerging chemical imbalance?

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views. Which can be unconfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

#22    boorite

boorite

Tub of Goo

• Closed
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:46 PM

A hallucination or delusion might or might not contain "psychic" or spiritual insight. The same goes for ordinary perception and thought. So Ethyl is right: psychosis and spiritual activity don't appear to be causally related.

Impairment in a person's linear thought processes might permit intuitions to emerge more clearly-- erupt is more like it-- but I'm sure that such intuitions are occurring more or less in the background of everyone's mind.

Coldethyl is also right that there's a lot the general public doesn't understand about mental illness. For instance, there's this popular image of the "psycho killer," but the truth is that psychotic persons do not commit violence any more often than non-psychotic persons. I think the same probably goes for having "paranormal" experiences.

#23    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,381 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:47 PM

^^  Thanks so much boorite.  This kind of thing gets me so worked up sometimes I can't even express myself properly.

thumbsup.gif

#24    Xzeta

Xzeta

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:56 PM

It is difficult on message boards to say exactly what you want to say and it’s hard to know who you may offend or hurt when all you wanted to do was explore a possibility or theory.

I am truly sorry and the last thing I would want to do is offend or hurt people and I can see exactly what you are saying – exactly. A diabetic does not get associated with paranormal – why would psychosis?

Apart from the very few cases where people have been institutionalized for having psychic awareness and labelled psychotic.  Other than that – yes, it is not nice for you and I am really, really sorry.

Xzeta

#25    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,381 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:03 PM

Other than that – yes, it is not nice for you and I am really, really sorry.

Hey, it's cool.  Thanks so much for understanding.

I bear no grudges.

thumbsup.gif

#26    Xzeta

Xzeta

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:12 PM

Hey, it's cool.  Thanks so much for understanding.

I bear no grudges.

thumbsup.gif

Thats good of you.  original.gif

Xzeta

#27    BigDaddy_GFS

BigDaddy_GFS

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:38 PM

Well, Uraeus, I've never heard of a succubus encounter such as this.
If anything, it sounds more angelic, assuming this was a real experience, and not a hallucination induced by sleep deprivation or something else.

Since succubi are classified as demons, I don't think this would qualify as a demonic encounter. Nor does it seem to be harmful to you.

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-- George Orwell

"A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point of doubtful sanity. "
--Robert Frost

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson

#28    Solidsdemise

Solidsdemise

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 93 posts

• "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." -C.S. Lewis

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:17 PM

Well, Uraeus, I've never heard of a succubus encounter such as this.
If anything, it sounds more angelic, assuming this was a real experience, and not a hallucination induced by sleep deprivation or something else.

Since succubi are classified as demons, I don't think this would qualify as a demonic encounter. Nor does it seem to be harmful to you.

Thanks. I'm sorry if I've hurt anyone by posting this.

#29    Xzeta

Xzeta

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:45 AM

Thanks. I'm sorry if I've hurt anyone by posting this.

Of course you didn't - it was an interesting post that was very brave of you to share.  It was what I late said and we've cleared it up now so not to worry.

Xzeta

#30    OMS Transmitting

OMS Transmitting

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:24 AM

I know that there isn't.

Not everyone believes in psychic powers.  It's feeding stigma if you ask me.

Not everyone believes there's 0 connection btw. the paranormal and mental illness either.   There's room for those who connect the two and those who don't.  And those who believe it's possible.  

I don't see the stigma you're talking about.   The cultures that traditionally have treated people w mental illness w/ the most reverence are those in which there's a belief that such individuals also may possess paranormal abilities.  Otherwise, such individuals usually just get labeled "psycho" and hidden from society or treated as second class citizens.  

Someone mentioned diabetes in comparison.   Well diabetes is not generally known to trigger thoughts about angelic and demonic beings; Godly visions or other images typically embraced by many in the paranormal community.   Unless or until someone can prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that the physiological imbalances responsible for psychosis aren't simultaneously affecting a spiritual change or perception,  there's no basis for claiming the spiritual theory of psychosis as a spreading of a stigma.  This is especially true since there is no medical consensus on an explanation for the cause of psychotic/thought disorders.  Only theories to offer incomplete explanations.   We're not even sure exactly why antipsychotic meds work.  

For years I worked closely w a clientelle with acute mental disorders.  Nor am I a stranger to them in my personal life.  In treating my clients there were many occasions when I noted what appeared to be pointed psychic insights arising in everyday conversations.  With hebephrenic schizophenics in particular, there'd be reports from my staff (and I witnessed this too) of all sorts of sudden, detailed info offered up about their lives or someone in the clinician's life ... details they couldn't have known about.   It happened so often that the staff joked about it at times.

Another fact:  A disproportionately high # of schizophrenic/schizotypal/schizoid pts in our facility (over the years) had been or were self-proclaimed psychics, several making good money at it.  

Boorite, this post is in part a response to what you said as well.

Edited by OMS Transmitting, 10 January 2007 - 08:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users