Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

atlantis...fact or fiction...

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: Atlantis.. fact or fiction? (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Atlantis.. fact or fiction?

1. Fact (45 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. Fiction (4 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

3. Pishaw! atlantis is gay! (5 votes [9.26%])

Percentage of vote: 9.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1    Firebolt

Firebolt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 118 posts

• Its a pirates life for me...

Posted 17 November 2003 - 04:30 AM

I believe that atlantis is real. What about you? Fact or Fiction? I think it would be neat to go on an expidetion to find it. I believe.. what about you?

Bro

#2    Engulf

Engulf

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

• "The wise only speaks when it is right, while the fool always speaks as though he is right."

Posted 17 November 2003 - 07:37 AM

I believe it's real. thumbsup.gif  

"Remember the truth is not for everyone - most people just do not want to know." --Robert Morningsky

"Since you are like no other being ever created since the beginning of time, you are incomparible." --Brenda Ueland

"Knowledge is strength, ignorance does not grant you any immunity." --Purple Crow

"I do not see any sin in the world, but I see a great deal of ignorance." --George Sand

#3    xgaryedgex

xgaryedgex

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 104 posts

• Liberate te ex inferis

Posted 17 November 2003 - 11:18 AM

i believe also. its just a matter of time before we find it.

There is no such thing as an inevitable war. If war comes it will be from failure of human wisdom.-Andrew B. Law

#4    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,909 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 01:06 PM

I personally like the small article in a back issue of Fortean Times about this, (and I promise I will actually find the issue one of these days) in which it stated that if we look at what the sea level was like way back when Atlantis was supposed to have existed, there is a small island in between the pillars of heracles, exactly where Plato said we'd find Atlantis.

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
David Gemmell

#5    thefirstman

thefirstman

Psychic Spy

• 1,007 posts

• Finding inner peace through outer rage.

Posted 17 November 2003 - 01:28 PM

I like to think  that Atlantis is real and that there is still some sort of civilisation living there,hiding from us.But ever asked yourself why they would be hiding from us?Maybe they are a peacful race,with no weapons no malice,only peace.Then along we come with the weapons the pain and suffering.I think if there are people there,they do not want to be found.

Posted Image

"if we fight for money,I'll stop hitting you when you ask me to. If we fight for honour,I'll stop hitting you when I feel like it" Royce Gracie

#6    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 17 November 2003 - 07:15 PM

I don't neccassarily believe Atlantis was real as such, but there is a  large amount of evidence that there were many cultures that where engulfed since the last ice age, from places as diverse as Malta, India, persian gulf, japan and the North Sea.

I'll shut up now as this really is one of my pet subjects and i have rabbited on about ancient civilisations all over this forun already  laugh.gif  but i'll leave you with a link for those who are interested:

Underworld

never take me too seriously

#7    kreestar

kreestar

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 09:27 PM

I marked fiction, because I don't think they will find it today. I think it did exist at one time however.

Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.

#8    Obsidian76

Obsidian76

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 07:33 AM

I marked Fact. There is to many writings of it from past cultures, and these cultures and societys werent exactly next door to each other. Like the example PurpleStuart gave  India, Japan etc. Bye the way folks, i am glad i found this website. I have been very curious about cryptozoology, myths and legends for a long time. Glad to be a part of the site now. Take Care Obsidian76 rolleyes.gif  

#9    Kryso

Kryso

Always watching...

• 3,943 posts

• Truth titillates the imagination far less than fiction.

Posted 19 November 2003 - 03:50 AM

One researcher-scientist believes it is where modern-day Morocco is! If you like I can scan for and find the link, is a interesting read?

#10    lizettemarie

lizettemarie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 59 posts

• "Insanity is the only thing left to grasp onto in this world"

Posted 20 November 2003 - 03:20 AM

I think atlantis is real.  look at how many tribes of people we're still finding in South America.  It's crazy!

#11    Potholer

Potholer

Psychic Spy

• 1,114 posts

• It shouldn't be "Seize the day" but "Seize *every* day"

Posted 20 November 2003 - 03:32 AM

I put fact.

There's a fair amount of evidence out there to suggset there was such an island.
I read once that, when asked by Plato where they got their knowledge of certain things from, the Egyptian priest answered with "From the Atlaneans". Does it get much more straight forward than that?

Haha. My sister at the moment is at university, doing anthroplogy (which leads onto archeaology.) for the sole reason of finding Atlantis. That is her live-goal. To find Atlantis. She's convinced it's under Antartica.

Potholer

You don't have to believe that it will or believe that it wont - just that it's possible.

Ambyglam.com!
My Livejournal
Girl Power

He fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down...

Long live PLGROYR!

#12    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 20 November 2003 - 11:02 PM

There is a land mass near where Plato said atlantis would be which currently is underwater, but could of been above water at the last ice age, when the ocean levels were lower (added to a another factor which is quite hard to explain, but involves a bulge in the earths crust caused by a depression else where further north  inturn caused by the heavy weight of the enlarged polar ice caps).

The only part of it exposed now is the Azores.

#13    Casper

Casper

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 10:11 PM

Was Atlantis supposed to have a diverse culture..just like the Greeks?!!

#14    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 09:16 PM

All we know about the Atlantean culture if it ever existed is what plato wrote about - but he was using it as an example and so quite possibly made it up to prove the points he wanted to make

#15    KayEl

KayEl

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 09:39 PM

I think Atlantis is fiction.
It never ceases to amaze me that somehow we think everything the Ancients said is true, as if they do not have the ability to create fiction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users