Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

atlantis...fact or fiction...

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: Atlantis.. fact or fiction? (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Atlantis.. fact or fiction?

1. Fact (45 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. Fiction (4 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

3. Pishaw! atlantis is gay! (5 votes [9.26%])

Percentage of vote: 9.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 26 November 2003 - 11:01 PM

It also amazes me that much of what has been written down has been ignored or passed over because it doesn't fit in to our set beliefs of history. Many historical finds are ignored because a Historians career is on the line. A good example of this is that there are two tombs in egypt one is partially built over the other. Conventional Egyptology states that the Pharoah in the tomb above ruled first - approx 500-600 yrs before the one in the tomb below was made for. obviously this is wrong but as far as i'm aware they haven't acknowledged it as it would upset their version of history which they have made their career on.

I'm not sure a place called Atlantis existed, but i'm pretty much convinced there was an ancient culture out there which was destroyed which influenced the civilasations we know about and believe to be the first

never take me too seriously

#17    KayEl

KayEl

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 03:21 PM

This reminds me of the controversy concerning the Sphinx, there are signs of water erosion (in the SAHARA) around the enclosure that surronds the Sphinx to suggest that it may have been built way earlier than what historians claimed...perhaps 10,000 years ago when the Sahara wasn't a desert yet. Of course, that would screw up history was they think it was supposed to be, so despite the evidence right in front of their eyes, they pretend it doesn't exist.

#18    dantheman2435

dantheman2435

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

• "Wat."

Posted 12 December 2003 - 04:44 PM

I think it is real

#19    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 13 December 2003 - 07:47 PM

KayEL - unfortunately that erosion could also be caused by moisture trapped under the sand (like a wind trap)- the sphinx spent a great deal of it's life up to it's neck in sand and the moisture got to it that way. That doesn't mean thats how it happened, but it's the more likely possibilty. I'd far prefer to believe the sphinx was far older though. One interesting fact is that in the same way that Great pyramids lining up to make a ground representation of Orion's belt, at approximately 12500 yrs ago  the sphinx would of lined up perfectly with the rising of the constellation Leo at the equinox, at the same time the milky way also 'looked' like it was a continuation of the nile and the great pyramids were set all in the correct place as Orions belt to the nile's representation of the milky way.

Coincedence or design? who knows

#20    The Krow

The Krow

Psychic Spy

• 1,275 posts

• Sunspots in the House of the Late Scapegoat

Posted 13 December 2003 - 07:51 PM

Atlantis...is real...but, we will never...EVER, find it...

I have morals, they're just subject to revision as the situation dictates.

Myspace...

This Is The Cancer From My Cellular Phone
That Emits Radiation Which Destroys My Brain
This Is The Cancer From My Television Screen
Which Reports The Danger While It Does The Same
So Can We Free Ourselves, From The Threat Of Death

Posted Image

#21    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 15 December 2003 - 05:27 PM

Atlantis is fiction. All of the major civilisations to exist left some sort of legacy no matter how advanced. Anyway the whole atlantis myth is based on one conversation plato had. Not a very strong base to build a case on in my opinion.

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#22    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 15 December 2003 - 05:42 PM

I vote fiction. Plato could have been making the whole thing up, who knows...It seems like an advanced civilization would have been able to leave some sort of record of itself outside of the references of Plato...

"Utopias" of one sort or another seem to pop up again and again throughout history, I am not sure why...I think it was just a fictional story to make a point. From that people ran with the concept, and it has grown to what it is today.

Of course I could be wrong, that is just my opinion on the matter...

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#23    moe eubleck

moe eubleck

No need to thank us

• 7,001 posts

• may the horse of Caligula drop one in your senate building.

Posted 15 December 2003 - 06:21 PM

I agree Fluffly. The existance of a utopia or a higher plane of existance is a running motif in every religion. I think that perhaps utopia was some ancient religious expression for a higher state of consiousness.

Posted Image
Moe's Poetry Corner
Moe's Big Adventure
" Behavior is a function of its consequences, invoked by the antecedant conditions"

#24    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 15 December 2003 - 06:43 PM

The word Utopia was actually first used in 1516 in a book named Utopia although written in Latin by Sir thomas More and has only been added to plato's writing's retroactivley though it was a pretty good idea and may have some truth.
The truth is that i would love Atlantis to have existed or even better still exist but there is just no real evidence to ever support that such an advanced civilisation ever existed.

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#25    moe eubleck

moe eubleck

No need to thank us

• 7,001 posts

• may the horse of Caligula drop one in your senate building.

Posted 15 December 2003 - 07:10 PM

yeah i would love it too actually. Ya know they said the ancient city of Troy was also just a myth. But it was recently dicovered.
  Who knows what the future will reveal about Atlantis?

Posted Image
Moe's Poetry Corner
Moe's Big Adventure
" Behavior is a function of its consequences, invoked by the antecedant conditions"

#26    Firebolt

Firebolt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 118 posts

• Its a pirates life for me...

Posted 15 December 2003 - 07:44 PM

I accually hope they don't find atlantis because it has been a mystery for so long. Also, if they find it and something wonderus is found there, someone is going to try to exploite it.. i don't want that to happen...

bro

#27    pappagooch

pappagooch

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 08:30 PM

I for one believe that there could have been an advanced civilization in the past that invented advanced tools, were quite the seafaring culture, and may have utilized machinery very advanced for the time period they existed in. This would then lead to the possibly that they suffered their own demise due to some type of cataclysmic event that destroyed their culture.

Maybe this place was called Atlantis, maybe this culture called themselves something else in their own language. One thing I do know is that ancient structures are (slowly) being discovered, underwater, which may open our eyes to the possibility of other ancient cultures we are not currently aware of that did exist in our past.

I do not believe in the "crystal" powers and other fantasies spun regarding  supposed atlantians...

While on this topic, if you believe it to have existed, what is everyone's perception of Atlantis? How do you envision the place? Whats your fantasized or realistic view of the Atlantis you believe in?

What do ya'll think?

...the truth of things is the chief nutriment of superior intellects.

Leonardo da Vinci

#28    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,083 posts

• 'For we walk by faith, not by sight.' II Corinthians 5:7

Posted 15 December 2003 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (pappagooch @ Dec 15 2003, 07:30 PM)
While on this topic, if you believe it to have existed, what is everyone's perception of Atlantis? How do you envision the place? Whats your fantasized or realistic view of the Atlantis you believe in?

Okay... this might sound silly (no .. not from Nxt2Hvn?  ohmy.gif ).......

I envision that it looks something like the underwater city on The Little Mermaid... don't know why... but that is what comes to mind when I think of Atlantis!

But more realistic and not cartoonish!  

I hope that makes sense!  wacko.gif  blink.gif  

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin. ~anonymous~

#29    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 09:57 PM

I personaly believe a civilisation (or period of civilisations) existed for which we use the term atlantis to describe. I think they were an urban and sea-farering culture which had mapped a lot of the globe and were at a level or technology similiar to 18th century western europe in some ways. I don't believe this was a Utopia, but  just another civilisation which was wiped out by on of the three periods of global flooding that happened after the ice age. It is a period of our history hinted at by our oldest myths and legends and holy books. It is possible that it is thought of as a utopia due to the decendants of the survivors passing down stories of what they had lost.

#30    Ikanian

Ikanian

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (Potholer @ Nov 20 2003, 02:32 AM)
I read once that, when asked by Plato where they got their knowledge of certain things from, the Egyptian priest answered with "From the Atlaneans". Does it get much more straight forward than that?

Im not completley sure, but in this book I was reading earlier it said Plato was taught about Atlantis from Solon. They said Plato wasnt known for fabricating stories, so they dont think he would have lied about it. But at the same time it said Solon traveled many lands and exchanged stories with different people. In this one land, he exchanged stories with some king. One of the residents in that land was none other than Aesop (of Aesope's Fables fame).

Im not sure how accurate that is up there from the book I was reading, I should go back and read over it again.

But to me it could go either way, and I personally would prefer that there would be an Atlantis over there wouldnt be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users