Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

atlantis...fact or fiction...

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: Atlantis.. fact or fiction? (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Atlantis.. fact or fiction?

1. Fact (45 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. Fiction (4 votes [7.41%])

Percentage of vote: 7.41%

3. Pishaw! atlantis is gay! (5 votes [9.26%])

Percentage of vote: 9.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46    Fairie

Fairie

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 224 posts

• I am a practical methodology!

Posted 18 May 2004 - 04:50 PM

I've said it before and, however boring and repetitive, I'll say it again, all legends have a basis of fact. The original written evidence for Atlantis comes from a single source, ol' Plato, but how can anyone denounce its authenticity when you consider that the bible has a very similar basis.
Just because it's not recorded anywhere else doesn't mean it might not be true.
I've just been studying a guy named David Rohl, who reckons that the entire established timeline for the egyptian pharoahs is out by a good 200 years, if we can be that far out on one thing, I don't see why we should believe implicitly upon the findings of science for everything else.
Have a little faith my banana splits!!

rolleyes.gif  

Oh brave new world that has such creatures in it!
"You can knock, you can rock it, you can go to Timbuctoo, but you'll never find a Nessie in the Zoo!"
*Signature removed, exceeds permitted size guidelines - Click Here for details.

#47    hamellr

hamellr

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

• President of the Back in my day club

Posted 19 May 2004 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (fluffybunny @ Dec 15 2003, 06:42 PM)
I vote fiction. Plato could have been making the whole thing up, who knows...It seems like an advanced civilization would have been able to leave some sort of record of itself outside of the references of Plato...

I don't 100% agree here. You have to remeber that cultures tended to plunder other's for various reasons. Either to destroy evidence of a "greater" culture, or simply for building materials. IE, the Great Wall of China has been destroyed for most it's length for the stones.

Also remeber, the Library of Alexandria got burned down, and the bulk of it's records destroyed. Who knows what kind of information it contained about cultures that we no longer know about. The problem is - before writing people had to rely on word of mouth. Even now in the US antropologist are working hard on recording the oral traditions of many Native Americans before they're lost completly. Who knows how valuable that information will be in 10, 20, 100 or a 1000 years from now?

Edited by hamellr, 19 May 2004 - 06:01 PM.

#48    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

• "Sanity may be madness but the maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be." (from) Don Quixote

Posted 19 May 2004 - 06:12 PM

Also remeber, the Library of Alexandria got burned down, and the bulk of it's records destroyed. Who knows what kind of information it contained about cultures that we no longer know about.
As long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress.
Julius Robert Oppenheimer. (1904-1967)
Posted Image

#49    Wild-Eyes

Wild-Eyes

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 118 posts

• The only thing worth pursuing is the truth.

Posted 20 May 2004 - 02:29 AM

QUOTE (hamellr @ May 19 2004, 06:59 PM)
QUOTE (fluffybunny @ Dec 15 2003, 06:42 PM)
I vote fiction. Plato could have been making the whole thing up, who knows...It seems like an advanced civilization would have been able to leave some sort of record of itself outside of the references of Plato...

I don't 100% agree here. You have to remeber that cultures tended to plunder other's for various reasons. Either to destroy evidence of a "greater" culture, or simply for building materials. IE, the Great Wall of China has been destroyed for most it's length for the stones.

Also remeber, the Library of Alexandria got burned down, and the bulk of it's records destroyed. Who knows what kind of information it contained about cultures that we no longer know about. The problem is - before writing people had to rely on word of mouth. Even now in the US antropologist are working hard on recording the oral traditions of many Native Americans before they're lost completly. Who knows how valuable that information will be in 10, 20, 100 or a 1000 years from now?

Well, I disagree, but for another reason: tales of Atlantis are not just in Plato's work. A great deal of cultures around the world have stories about a 'great advanced civilization' that was eventually destroyed by cataclism: Plato, Diodorus, Herodotus, and Strabo from Greece. Pomponius Mela. Plutarch. Olaus Rudbeck (Scandanavian). Bailly (France). Holy Mountain tales from China. Book of Dyzan (Tibet). The Codex Troano of the Mayas. Native American legends.  Mineoathi. Mu. Lemuria. Etcera. Many of these existed far before Plato. Plato's own story goes back to Egyptian myth 200 years before.

The point is, it's a universal legend of old civilizations. If one's to believe the axiom 'In every myth there's a grain of truth', then it's very likely some form of Atlantis existed.

Heh, and just a little comment about there being no Atlantean records. An advanced civilization does not have to use written language, that's a myth. It used to be the definition of being a 'civilization' in anthropology; it is no longer. It is very possible that Atlanteans were an oral society; besides that, if they were suddenly destroyed in cataclism and sunk to the sea, what's to say any records survived?

Maybe they used computers.  whistling2.gif  

To believe with certainty we must begin with doubting. Stanislaus I
Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth. Gandhi

The Scholars of Shen Zhou | Wild-Blog

#50    nickma71

nickma71

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 06:07 PM

Atlantis was real, and destroyed during the great flood.

#51    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• 2,033 posts

• "Sanity may be madness but the maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be." (from) Don Quixote

Posted 21 May 2004 - 06:10 PM

Atlantis was real, and destroyed during the great flood.

Which one?

As long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress.
Posted Image

#52    Apocalyptic Cryptid

Apocalyptic Cryptid

Psychic Spy

• 1,035 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 10:04 PM

Well Captain Nemo found it so i believe it is there......... w00t.gif  w00t.gif  

Peace

#53    Great Big Sea

Great Big Sea

Poltergeist

• 2,459 posts

• We should respect a person not because who they are, but what they do with their life, is the way they earn our respect.

Posted 23 May 2004 - 11:38 PM

I really never grew up with the belief of Atlantis so I would have to say I don't believe in it but if it was real then it would be cool to go down and check it out. To see how people lived back then.

"This is probably the strangest position I've been in on this show." Adam Savage.

"Notice how he says "On this Show." Kari Byron

Mythbusters.

#54    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• 2,033 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 11:57 PM

I really never grew up with the belief of Atlantis so I would have to say I don't believe in it but if it was real then it would be cool to go down and check it out. To see how people lived back then

You may get your chance to check it out. There is an expedition going on right now that could allow you the oppurtunity.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/04/...3224579144.html

This is another expedition underway as well.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3227295.stm

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users