Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Idaho Wolves

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    rob lester

rob lester

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:51 PM

Not sure this is correct topic , but natural  world seems fitting.

Below is a news article , and a link to write the Governor.Personally this makes me sick..Hope people take time to write him....

By JESSE HARLAN ALDERMAN, Associated Press Writer Thu Jan 11, 10:46 PM ET

BOISE, Idaho - Idaho's governor said Thursday he will support public hunts to kill all but 100 of the state's gray wolves after the federal government strips them of protection under the Endangered Species Act.
ADVERTISEMENT

Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter told The Associated Press that he wants hunters to kill about 550 gray wolves. That would leave about 100 wolves, or 10 packs, according to a population estimate by state wildlife officials.

The 100 surviving wolves would be the minimum before the animals could again be considered endangered.

"I'm prepared to bid for that first ticket to shoot a wolf myself," Otter said earlier Thursday during a rally of about 300 hunters.

Otter complained that wolves are rapidly killing elk and other animals essential to Idaho's multimillion-dollar hunting industry. The hunters, many wearing camouflage clothing and blaze-orange caps, applauded wildly during his comments.

Suzanne Stone, a spokeswoman for the advocacy group Defenders of Wildlife in Boise, said Otter's proposal would return wolves to the verge of eradication.

"Essentially he has confirmed our worst fears for the state of Idaho: That this would be a political rather than a biological management of the wolf population," Stone said. "There's no economic or ecological reason for maintaining such low numbers. It's simple persecution."

Wolves were reintroduced to the northern Rocky Mountains a decade ago after being hunted to near-extinction. More than 1,200 now live in the region.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service plans to start removing federal protections from gray wolves in Montana and Idaho in the next few weeks.

A plan drafted by Idaho's wildlife agency calls for maintaining a minimum of 15 wolf packs higher than Otter's proposal of 10 packs.

Jeff Allen, a policy adviser for the state Office of Species Conservation, said 15 wolf packs would allow "a cushion" between the surviving wolf population and the minimum number that federal biologists would allow before the animals are again considered endangered.

Allen said Otter and state wildlife officials agree on wolf strategy and will be able to reach a consensus on specific numbers.

"You don't want to be too close to 10 because all of a sudden when one (wolf) is hit by a car or taken in defense of property, you're back on the list," Allen said.

HERE IS LINK TO SPEAK UP   http://gov.idaho.gov/ourgov/contact.html

#2    Samael

Samael

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

• Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. - Dana Scully, The X-Files

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:08 PM

You know, removing federal protection will mean people will just shoot wolves whenever they feel like it. They'll be extinct in the US soon, mark my words.

Posted Image

Attempting to sound vaguely intellectual since 2006

#3    The Lone Wolf

The Lone Wolf

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:19 PM

WTF!! IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!! IS THAT ALL THEY DO SHOOT WHAT EVER THE HECK THAT MOVES ooooo!! i wanna shoot them see how they like it!!!

#4    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:33 PM

You know, removing federal protection will mean people will just shoot wolves whenever they feel like it. They'll be extinct in the US soon, mark my words.

I know it is sad isn't it.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#5    Symbol

Symbol

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 07:35 PM

This thread will become a huge flame war.

#6    Jjbreen

Jjbreen

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,868 posts

• Time is the teller of all tales great and small.

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:36 PM

WTF!! IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!! IS THAT ALL THEY DO SHOOT WHAT EVER THE HECK THAT MOVES ooooo!! i wanna shoot them see how they like it!!!

I'm curious why KILLING is always the first "answer"?? I mean - what about capture and take to other natural wild-life reserves or into Alaska wildnerness and such? There are other answers besides KILL FIRST - come up with ideas later - umm, when it's too late!  blink.gif

#7    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:43 PM

This thread will become a huge flame war.

Why? Anyone with a modicum of sense can see that this is a truely ridiculous idea. I am not opposed to hunting, but this is truely idiotic.

YNWA

#8    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:45 PM

Double post

Edited by Mattshark, 13 January 2007 - 08:46 PM.

YNWA

#9    m. Moe

m. Moe

UMs Official Fiend

• 1,730 posts

• I'm that evil voice in your head that tells you to burn things.

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:32 PM

Most people, including myself, hunt to keep down the deer and elk population because the predator populations were driving to near extinction. But here is a place were the balance is restored between predator and prey, and they want to ruin it all over again?!

And I used to have so much respect of Idaho, now I see it cares far more about a few extra dollars than the enviroment. no.gif

Posted Image
Signature by the_scorpian
"Sweet lovely death, I'm waiting for your breath, come sweet death one last caress"
Congrats, you found my subliminal message. Now pat yourself on the back and stop highlighting my signature

#10    Wsiabtwcnbs

Wsiabtwcnbs

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:15 PM

WWW.defenders.org

www.savewolfs.org

These massacrs are also takeing place in Alaska
HELP SAVE THE WOLFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Wsiabtwcnbs, 13 January 2007 - 10:24 PM.

#11    m. Moe

m. Moe

UMs Official Fiend

• 1,730 posts

• I'm that evil voice in your head that tells you to burn things.

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:14 PM

Lets not turn this to "don't kill wolves cause they are cool", but does anyone else really see the irony in this situation? Once they got the predator population back up, they go off and kill them again. hmm.gif

Posted Image
Signature by the_scorpian
"Sweet lovely death, I'm waiting for your breath, come sweet death one last caress"
Congrats, you found my subliminal message. Now pat yourself on the back and stop highlighting my signature

#12    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:30 PM

Lets not turn this to "don't kill wolves cause they are cool", but does anyone else really see the irony in this situation? Once they got the predator population back up, they go off and kill them again. hmm.gif

See Iceland and whales.

YNWA

#13    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:53 AM

There's no massacre going on in Alaska. They have a very healthy population of wolves there.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#14    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 14,419 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:17 AM

A much better idea would be to reduce the number of Elk hunted rather than increasing the number of wolves.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#15    Falco Rex

Falco Rex

The Winged Avenger

• 4,702 posts

• I'll write something pithy here later, for now just use it to advertise your band.

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:17 AM

I could see killing some Wolves had they turned dangerous to humans, but a massive hunting effort so a few guys can get a trophy buck is pretty much ridiculous..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users