Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Unexplained reflection in astronauts visor

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#61    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,063 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:23 PM

Back on topic.

#62    Snozzberry

Snozzberry

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

• the snozzberries taste like snozzberries

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:56 PM

If this is the level of seriousness you bring to the discussion, I'm really surprised that people here are not ignoring you...

Read the thread, particularly the last two pages or so. I didn't start the jokery I was merely playing along.

Now as I stated earlier I'm not so sure it could be just a smudge. Why would he be touching his visor for? It couldn't be from a salute to the flag because it would be in a different spot. hmmm

I'm back. And meaner than ever.

#63    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,463 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:56 PM

Why would he be touching his visor for?

The Apollo helmet had not one but a series of visors, a protective visor and a gold plated visor  to protect the astronaut from the sun. These visors could be raised or lowered over the clear visor  by pulling on tabs protruding from the lower edge of these visors. Guess where the astronaut would have to place his gloved hand in order to pull these visors down?

Remember the spacesuit gloves are bulky and awkward. It would be more surprising if the astronauts accomplished this task without touching the visor.

Here is a photo graph of Apollo 12's Pete Conrad in training with his protective visor lowered about one third lowered and the sun visor only slightly lowered. The tabs can be easily seen.

linked-image
Detail from 69-HC-1037

Picture Source: NASA - Apollo Lunar Surface Journal

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 11 February 2007 - 10:59 PM.
corrected spelling mistake.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#64    crystal sage

crystal sage

Telekinetic

• 7,367 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:56 AM

The Apollo helmet had not one but a series of visors, a protective visor and a gold plated visor  to protect the astronaut from the sun. These visors could be raised or lowered over the clear visor  by pulling on tabs protruding from the lower edge of these visors. Guess where the astronaut would have to place his gloved hand in order to pull these visors down?

Remember the spacesuit gloves are bulky and awkward. It would be more surprising if the astronauts accomplished this task without touching the visor.

Here is a photo graph of Apollo 12's Pete Conrad in training with his protective visor lowered about one third lowered and the sun visor only slightly lowered. The tabs can be easily seen.

linked-image
Detail from 69-HC-1037

Picture Source: NASA - Apollo Lunar Surface Journal

grin2.gif with the studio track lighting reflected on the visor..!!!!! yes.gif

#65    frenat

frenat

Poltergeist

• 2,905 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:36 AM

grin2.gif with the studio track lighting reflected on the visor..!!!!! yes.gif

Yeah, because as noted that was a picture taken during training.

-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
-Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
-If I wanted to pay for commercials I couldn't skip I'd sign up for Hulu Plus.
-There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.
If you have to insist that you've won an Internet argument, you've probably lost badly. - Danth's Law

#66    crystal sage

crystal sage

Telekinetic

• 7,367 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:25 AM

Yeah, because as noted that was a picture taken during training.

blush.gif
grin2.gif

Yes...you're right!!!!

Here's an interesting site...argues both sides....

http://www.clavius.org/cokebottle.html

I hadn't heard of the coke bottle incident before... Lol.. but people kicking around discarded objects...especially  seeing  coke bottles was a common sight in the old days of consumerism...... It may not have registered subconsciously to the viewers... or maybe they  were so used to clever product placement in those days that.....it went over their heads....???

http://www.clavius.org/bibmilne.html

#67    louie

louie

Alien Abducter

• 4,844 posts

• The greatest sceptics are normally the biggest sheep. Anon

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:07 PM

What about all the space boots they had to leave behind on the moon to compensate for the samples they had to take back. they should still be there, any way we can look at the area for them.

www.tmblive.com
If you dont know what it is, it must be art.

#68    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,463 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:22 PM

blush.gif
grin2.gif
Yes...you're right!!!!

Here's an interesting site...argues both sides....

http://www.clavius.org/cokebottle.html

With the greatest of respect Crystal Sage, you aren't very good at this. Clavius is one of the best known hoax debunking sites on the internet. From the Clavius front page:

Moon Base Clavius is an organization of amateurs and professionals devoted to the Apollo program and its manned exploration of the moon. Our special mission is to debunk the so-called conspiracy theories that state such a landing may never have occurred.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 12 February 2007 - 03:24 PM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#69    crystal sage

crystal sage

Telekinetic

• 7,367 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:03 PM

With the greatest of respect Crystal Sage, you aren't very good at this. Clavius is one of the best known hoax debunking sites on the internet. From the Clavius front page:

I did say that it gives both sides... well at least a couple of views...they do not have to be diametrically apposed...  

grin2.gif
Like I said on  another thread... I do like reading all sorts of ideas...as they all have grains of truths ..interesting ideas.. that attracted the  the energies of those who came up with them in the first place...like little pieces of inspiration...

Like religion... if you gather all the most attractive pieces  from all the religions  and pieced them together , you may  eventually get a truer picture of the way things could really be...

#70    The Skeptic Eric Raven

The Skeptic Eric Raven

Master Blaster

• 11,065 posts

• One day love will find me.....

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:19 PM

I seems like people who believe in this particular conspiracy, believe in many  more as well. Kind of all or nothing. To live life believing everything is against us is a sad way to live.

........the sleeper has awoken!
Sometimes we need a kick in the butt to wake us up. Well, I'm up now!Boo ya.

...there are many things in life that will capture your eye, but very few will capture your heart. These are the ones to pursue. These are the ones worth keeping..."

#71    crystal sage

crystal sage

Telekinetic

• 7,367 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:57 PM

I seems like people who believe in this particular conspiracy, believe in many  more as well. Kind of all or nothing. To live life believing everything is against us is a sad way to live.

I don't believe that everything is against us!!!!  ...

I just find listening to lots of different views interesting...
  I do suspect that they have found evidence of alien life... ancient civilizations on the Moon and Mars... so the .. 'we didn't really  land on the Moon theories totally contradict it'....
I do have an idea that 'debunking organizations' and false leads... via specially planted disinformation. .. or disinformation to discredit those that are getting too close to the truth..... could be spured on by

high up , or various government  organizations, to distract us... and have us running around chasing our tails... whenever we get too close to the truth...

The disinformation sites are cool  grin2.gif  ....

Edited by crystal sage, 12 February 2007 - 07:02 PM.

#72    phunk

phunk

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:19 PM

What about all the space boots they had to leave behind on the moon to compensate for the samples they had to take back. they should still be there, any way we can look at the area for them.

An optical telescope on earth or in low earth orbit with the resolution needed to image a boot on the moon would need a mirror the size of a stadium.  Maybe the LRO will be able to image the sites from lunar orbit in a couple years, but I'm not expecting to see anything as small as a boot until someone lands there again. original.gif

#73    AtomicDog

AtomicDog

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

• NASA Disinfo Agent

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:21 PM

I do have an idea that 'debunking organizations' and false leads... via specially planted disinformation. .. or disinformation to discredit those that are getting too close to the truth..... could be spured on by

high up , or various government  organizations, to distract us... and have us running around chasing our tails... whenever we get too close to the truth...

The disinformation sites are cool  grin2.gif  ....

Can you give any examples of Pro-Apollo "disinformation" and false leads and why you believe it is so?

(You do understand, don't you, that my signature is a joke? wink2.gif )

#74    crystal sage

crystal sage

Telekinetic

• 7,367 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:40 PM

Can you give any examples of Pro-Apollo "disinformation" and false leads and why you believe it is so?

(You do understand, don't you, that my signature is a joke? wink2.gif )

"Profile Quote: NASA Disinfo Agent"

laugh.gif
I just looked up your profile...    tongue.gif   day job?... of hobby??

#75    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:54 PM

louie,

There was alot more substantial stuff left on the Moon by the Apollo crews then their lunar overshoes:  the PLSSs, and several bags of "trash" (we'll call it), and of course, a LM descent stage, which was fairly large, cameras, three LRVs (AS-15 through 17), an equipment cart (AS-14), and of course, 6 sets of experiments and instruments (the AESEP and ALSEP packages).

All of this is still there, but unfortunately there is no way to look at the area and image any of this stuff given the resolution capability that exists.   There may be some future pictures that will image the largest objects at Apollo landing sites, but even at a resolution of a meter, the largest objects (the LMs and LRVs) will be among the smallest things in the image.  Their shape of these objects could perhaps be resolved, but there'll never be a photo which shows a clear image of Apollo artifacts...until, that is, someone is standing there at those sites and takes pictures of them again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users