Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Woman dies after water contest

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:25 AM

user posted image rA Californian woman who took part in a water-drinking contest to win a video game system has died of water intoxication, tests have shown. Jennifer Strange had taken part in the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" game run by KDND 107.9 radio in Sacramento, which promised the winner a Nintendo Wii.

A work colleague said Ms Strange had reported her head was hurting hours after the contest and was going home. Ms Strange, 28, was found dead on Friday at her house in Rancho Cordova.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: BBC News

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Saint

Saint

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

• I am the banshee

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:31 AM

Most odd.  Shows that anything can kill, really, then, doesn't it?

Wonder how the intoxication actually happens?  What's the physical result of drinking too much water?  Kidney failure, I would imagine???

Visit my Blog: Off The Fence

Posted Image

#3    truethat

truethat

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:50 AM

What a stupid contest.  Here comes the law suit.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/med/watertox.html

#4    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:59 AM

Most odd.  Shows that anything can kill, really, then, doesn't it?

Wonder how the intoxication actually happens?  What's the physical result of drinking too much water?  Kidney failure, I would imagine???

When you drink too much water too fast, when you expell the water it also flushes out the electrolytes in your body. When you lose so much electrolytes your body doesn't take kindly to that and starts to react. Everything from headaches, vomiting, seizures and death.

I bet a bottle or two of gatorade might have saved this woman's life if she had just drank them.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

#5    when.i.am.queen.

when.i.am.queen.

Think Big™

• 1,519 posts

• If she has no need for lovers
    Then what's stopping her?

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:32 PM

Hmm my father told me about this one...she must have been really desperate for it.
Strange to think that they went through all that pain just to get a $400 dollar game system...
I hope that her family gets a wii in colsolation...though I guess that she wins  now
I don't think that anyone else can beat her "hold your wee" record- forever is a long time

Posted Image

#6    SavvyWitch

SavvyWitch

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 251 posts

• Nevermind the mind that never looks to find the truth. I'll bide my time, for you to cross the line. All it takes is time.

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:40 PM

I was watching a show on one of the health channels (not sure which channel really.) A pledge died from the same thing (water intoxication) after drinking as much water as he could from a 5 gallon jug.. then had to do as many push ups as he could.. his mother sued the members who made him do this, I think the main two who thought of the idea got 10 yrs for manslaughter.. or something like that. Personally.. I don't think I could push my body, to drink that much. Unfortunately it's amazing what people will do to avoid paying for something.

}X{SaVvY}X{\\`iTcH}X{

Thanks Iam's
Posted Image

#7    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:46 PM

if I were the guy that Did win, would give it to her family.
don't think they should be able to sue.

Moderation in all things and Don't Hold It In.  You can hurt yourself.

#8    when.i.am.queen.

when.i.am.queen.

Think Big™

• 1,519 posts

• If she has no need for lovers
    Then what's stopping her?

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:48 PM

I was watching a show on one of the health channels (not sure which channel really.) A pledge died from the same thing (water intoxication) after drinking as much water as he could from a 5 gallon jug.. then had to do as many push ups as he could.. his mother sued the members who made him do this, I think the main two who thought of the idea got 10 yrs for manslaughter.. or something like that. Personally.. I don't think I could push my body, to drink that much. Unfortunately it's amazing what people will do to avoid paying for something.

It use to be a form of torture, and many endurance sports people also suffer from it as well...

I wouldn't...with all the money that they would get from the law suit, don't you think that they would by one theirselves?
I mean, you earned it

Posted Image

#9    truethat

truethat

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:56 PM

I'm not a fan of frivolous law suits but I think her family should sue them like mad.  Its their responsibility when hosting this contest to be sure its safe.   A quick google or check with a doctor would have prevented this.  If she had eaten a tablespoon of salt she probably wouldn't have died.  Ridiculous negligence on their part.

#10    Atlantis Rises

Atlantis Rises

The Ancient

• 1,521 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:56 PM

This happened two days ago and when I heard about it I was shocked that such a thing could happen. Two things scare me about this: 1) that such a thing can possibly happen (the body is 70% water), and 2), that it happens so often there's actually a term for it.

History is like Time - it always repeats itself.

#11    Star_girl

Star_girl

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

• I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars. Og Mandino

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:20 PM

This is very scary. I knew too much water was bad but I never knew that it was that bad...

The family should definately sue the station for every penny they have and still get the Wii...

Posted Image
Sig by The Scorpion

#12    Avinash_Tyagi

Avinash_Tyagi

Government Agent

• 3,871 posts

• Searching For Answers

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:24 PM

Hmm my father told me about this one...she must have been really desperate for it.
Strange to think that they went through all that pain just to get a $400 dollar game system...
I hope that her family gets a wii in colsolation...though I guess that she wins  now
I don't think that anyone else can beat her "hold your wee" record- forever is a long time

Actually its only $250, she was trying to win it for her kids, because they are so hard to find right now

Spider-pig, Spider-pig, does whatever a Spider-pig does   Homer Simpson

Everyday the cafe's and and outdoor markets of the middle east explode in anticipation! -Aasif Mandvi

Vir!  Intelligence has no place in politics! Londo Mollari

WWBD: What Would Belldandy Do?

When Christians attack!:

#13    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:36 PM

I'm not a fan of frivolous law suits but I think her family should sue them like mad.  Its their responsibility when hosting this contest to be sure its safe.   A quick google or check with a doctor would have prevented this.  If she had eaten a tablespoon of salt she probably wouldn't have died.  Ridiculous negligence on their part.

I agree. I hate all of these ridiculous law suits that hit the news every other day, but this competition was pretty damn stupid. It's amazing that they managed to actually go through with it without being stopped by anyone at all, I thought it would've been common knowledge that drinking so much water is harmful.

Shouldn't they have had to consult a doctor before actually hosting the competition, anyway?

#14    Azalin

Azalin

Psychic Spy

• 1,508 posts

• " If there were no God, there would be no atheists "

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:46 PM

What a stupid contest.  Here comes the law suit.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/med/watertox.html

I doubt there will be a lawsuit. Chances are the radio station had them sign a waver for the contest which takes the blame off them

Posted Image
"The worst moment for the athieist is when he feels thankful and has no one to thank."
"Fiat  Lux"

#15    Harriet The Ripperologist

Harriet The Ripperologist

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

• What is sacred? Of what is the soul made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer is love, only love.....

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:53 PM

Another one of those stupid contests. They'll probably get more publicity for it now. I think I heard of a competition where whoever could stare at a certain part of a van for the longest would win the van. Sue away, my dear friends, is what I would recommend. thumbsup.gif

Posted Image
And he began to have it in mind, as so many gentlemen had done before him, to marry a woman of fortune and condition. And, as such things so often happen, these thoughts closely coincided with his setting first sight upon a lady who will henceforth play a considerable part in the drama of his life....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users