Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

global warming

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#31    OlDrippy34

OlDrippy34

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

• If I woke up looking like that, I would just run to the nearest living thing and just kill it.

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:30 AM

Stop fighting!  Someone, please, think of the children!

All women are evil; the ugly ones just waste it on hating the pretty chicks.

#32    positron

positron

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

• I believe that aliens do exist among us.

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:59 AM

i would like to say that we cannot do anything about global warming    we are all going to die    please  prove me wrong

If everyone in this world listens then we can survive. Otherwise!

#33    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:18 AM

If everyone in this world listens then we can survive. Otherwise!

Global warming is not likely to wipe out the human race, most definatly not in our life time it will most likely lead to a mass extinction over the next 1000000 or years however. Sad though that this is avoidable, sadly though greed has more power than intelligence .

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#34    when.i.am.queen.

when.i.am.queen.

Think Big™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

• If she has no need for lovers
    Then what's stopping her?

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:45 AM

Global warming is not likely to wipe out the human race, most definatly not in our life time it will most likely lead to a mass extinction over the next 1000000 or years however. Sad though that this is avoidable, sadly though greed has more power than intelligence .

So...there is no hope?

Posted Image

#35    Cetacea

Cetacea

Poltergeist

• 2,352 posts

• "How inappropriate to call this planet Earth, when it is quite clearly Ocean."

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:01 AM

So...there is no hope?

With out a change in political ideas, not much imo, it is more a case of us having to live with the consequences of our actions. Or more accuratly the consequences of those who only care about their own financial gains actions.

"There is about as much educational benefit to be gained in studying dolphins in captivity as there would be studying mankind by observing prisoners held in solitary confinement" - Jacques Cousteau

"We're not unique, just at one end of the spectrum."

#36    Malakthrin

Malakthrin

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 169 posts

• When Injustice becomes law, Rebellion becomes duty.

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:21 AM

Which is why my father is so found of saying that our generation will be the ones to pay for previous' generations mistakes.  mellow.gif

#37    Cadetak

Cadetak

Defender of the Universe

• 6,371 posts

• Sometimes It's Darkest Just Before Dawn

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:27 AM

Buy the time global warming hits we will be living in bubble cities anyways...or on mars...or back in caves.

Between Red Team and Blue Team I stand colorblind

Posted Image

"The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not."-Eric Hoffer

#38    Bearly

Bearly

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

• And He who made kittens, put snakes in the grass, He's a lover of Life, but a player of pawns...

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:05 AM

IMO it is extremely unlikely that global warming will  wipe us  out.  It can however, screw up very badly the ecosystems and weather patterns, lead to sea level rise and other environmental problems.  It truth, we have no idea of the extent of problems it can cause as computer models can only account for known variables, but what about varibles that are unknown?  It has the potential to cause a great deal of economic hardship and environmental discomfort and loss of habitat for mankind, and make life in general pretty miserable, so it is no joking matter.  It is not too late however, there are ways of switching over to non-fossil fuels, such as the combustion of hydrogen, and other green technology.  This country should be leading the world in finding alternatives, but you all know that is not happening as this administration had other priorities.   And I was rather disappointed that the Clinton administration did so little about it also for that matter.  So, it looks like both parties deserve some blame.

Edited by Bearly, 18 January 2007 - 04:06 AM.

#39    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,700 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:16 AM

It's a little laughable, at times, to think that we can really have any sort of significant effect on our planet.  A shift of less than on degree of the axis of rotation of our planet turned the Sahara from a plush grassland to the largest desert in the world.  A temperature shift of a degree and half suddenly warmed up Europe and brought an end to the dark ages.

Such small things...so tiny and insignificant to our frame of reference...and yet they hold the power to transform our civilization as we know it, to the extent of leading to the extinction of entire species.

And people are claiming we can save ourselves by driving less?  There isn't a soul on earth who knows if that would have any effect whatsoever.  Frankly, it is presumptious to think that it might.  We are surely the most arrogant species on Earth, to think that our pathetically insignificant species could actually cause anything more than a blip on this planets climate.

#40    IamsSon

IamsSon

Unobservable Matter

• 11,870 posts

• “If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.” ~ Albert Einstein

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:49 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with aquatus!  dontgetit.gif  

The world will end in 10, 9, 8, ...

"But then with me that horrid doubt always arises whether the convictions of man's mind which has been developed from the mind of the lower animals, are of any value or at all trustworthy. Would any one trust in the convictions of a monkey's mind, if there are any convictions in such a mind?" - Charles Darwin, in a letter to William Graham on July 3, 1881

#41    carini

carini

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:54 AM

It's a little laughable, at times, to think that we can really have any sort of significant effect on our planet.  A shift of less than on degree of the axis of rotation of our planet turned the Sahara from a plush grassland to the largest desert in the world.  A temperature shift of a degree and half suddenly warmed up Europe and brought an end to the dark ages.

Such small things...so tiny and insignificant to our frame of reference...and yet they hold the power to transform our civilization as we know it, to the extent of leading to the extinction of entire species.

And people are claiming we can save ourselves by driving less?  There isn't a soul on earth who knows if that would have any effect whatsoever.  Frankly, it is presumptious to think that it might.  We are surely the most arrogant species on Earth, to think that our pathetically insignificant species could actually cause anything more than a blip on this planets climate.

And yet we have killed off more species of life then any animal that has ever lived on the earth.

::sarcasm on::
Seems pretty insignificant of us to do this.
::sarcasm off::

We are having a huge effect on the planet.

#42    Tremor

Tremor

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:00 AM

The ice caps will melt, and then it will be just like water world! (im assuming you all have seen that movie)

98% of the Internet population has a MySpace. If you're part of the 2% that can resist stupid fads, copy & paste this into your signature.

#43    jedi_yarael_poof

jedi_yarael_poof

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:32 AM

I'm not a believer in global warming, but I'd be grateful to be proven wrong if it'd kick in by tomorrow.  This winter is feeling like glaciers should be on it's way to oklahoma. Got 10" of snow in November where I live (I've never seen that much). The panhandle got 10" in December. Got over an inch of ice last weekend and now this weekend will (supposedly) dump 4"-8" of snow on top of the ice, which hasn't melted much. Whereever global warming is happening, bring some over here! Al Gore, Help us!
Gonna get the pick out to clear out as much ice as I can before the snow hits.

#44    carini

carini

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:17 AM

I'm not a believer in global warming, but I'd be grateful to be proven wrong if it'd kick in by tomorrow.  This winter is feeling like glaciers should be on it's way to oklahoma. Got 10" of snow in November where I live (I've never seen that much). The panhandle got 10" in December. Got over an inch of ice last weekend and now this weekend will (supposedly) dump 4"-8" of snow on top of the ice, which hasn't melted much. Whereever global warming is happening, bring some over here! Al Gore, Help us!
Gonna get the pick out to clear out as much ice as I can before the snow hits.

What you are saying just reinforces the points of global warming, weather patterns changing and dumping large amounts of moisture in places where it doesnt normally happen and removing it from places it normally does.

#45    kobie

kobie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• Life is lifes ultimate goal, to achieve a boundless intricate web of limitless possibilities.

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:28 AM

well i think your all being negative,you may all believe that death is floating just above your head, but ill be just fine!

what will u die of,well freak storms, flooding,ice age conditions,none of these will wipe us out,its when a comet or another major tsunami happens these will certainly dwindle our numbers,

being positive in the interment eyes of death is the only way forward,even if you do end up being crushed to death or incinerated or even smashed to smithereens its probably for a good cause....as its being stated,at the end of the global warming effects now this is worrying every one starving to death together or if you survive that, gradually melting and ultimately catching on fire!

earth and venus defiantly would be twins at these stages, for some strange reason though i believe we wont end up like a poll of smoldering sick,i believe that as we all know this is as-well part of a natural earth cycle we are just interfering with our emissions,the future will be better and things are in place for change.

Users/repro/Desktop/dimsum-3.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users