Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Dilophosaurus

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1    speshall mareens

speshall mareens

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

• "hand me the holy hand grenade!!" monty python, search for the holy grail

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:04 AM

for a long time paleantologists have debated over the point of crests on dinosaurs and even living animals as well as using them to support there argument. i just wanna no what others think. i'll be back in a little, i wanna go make fun of the idiots who believe in aliens and big foot. or not whatever works.

speshall mareens;
       the few,
    the proud the,
mentally challenged

#2    Cryptoman

Cryptoman

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

• "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
    -Douglas Adams

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:08 AM

I believe those were used to attract mates, but didn't they also debate if it produced poison as well?

The Earth holds a message for you...
http://www.geogreeti...html?ymBIzDywkx

#3    speshall mareens

speshall mareens

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:27 AM

doubt it, those movies are not quite acureate. but i thought i heard something about it. as to the frill, no way of proving that. still, destroy all humas is an awsome game( refering to pic). yah mating is the most plausible answer as the crests are fragile, but there is still heat regulation and territory. the same things with spined animals really.

speshall mareens;
       the few,
    the proud the,
mentally challenged

#4    Cryptoman

Cryptoman

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

• "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
    -Douglas Adams

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:31 AM

doubt it, those movies are not quite acureate. but i thought i heard something about it. as to the frill, no way of proving that. still, destroy all humas is an awsome game( refering to pic). yah mating is the most plausible answer as the crests are fragile, but there is still heat regulation and territory. the same things with spined animals really.

thanks for the compliment, but I'm not referring to Jurassic Park. They said they found two weird holes behind the eye holes in the skull that possibly held venom sacs.

#5    speshall mareens

speshall mareens

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:34 AM

entirely possible, but it all really depends on when the first venom evovled. they could be for tears. crying.gif  or an extraordinary fragile part of the skull that was broken.

speshall mareens;
       the few,
    the proud the,
mentally challenged

#6    Cryptoman

Cryptoman

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

-Douglas Adams

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:33 PM

That would be an intereting subject to investigate, when did venom evolve in reptiles?

#7    Cryptoman

Cryptoman

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

-Douglas Adams

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:35 PM

Oh, I almost forgot. Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries Speshall Mareens! Try not to make "too" much fun of the bigfoot and alien believers.

#8    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:38 PM

Dilophosaurus did not make poison. In no way to our knowledge were they venemous.

The crest, which is also present in Lillienasaurus and Crylophosaurus was probably used to attract mates.

See this link for the evolution of snake venom:
http://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/21/5/870

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#9    Cryptoman

Cryptoman

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

-Douglas Adams

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for the link Frogfish.

#10    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:51 PM

Like the Lambeosaurus, it was most likely used for distinguishing sex and age. More often than not, juveniles of species with crests are usually crestless, and they slowly grow the crest in with passing years. It could have even been used as a status thing.

Several species had crests on their heads that were used for communication by blowing air through it like a horn, although I doubt that was the usage of the Dilophosaurus crest.

And yes, the poison from JP was created by the author of the book, while the size of the creature in the movie was severly reduced as well. Movies play little role in fact.

#11    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:56 PM

Several species had crests on their heads that were used for communication by blowing air through it like a horn

Yup, such as Saurolophus and Parasaurolophus. Lambeosaurus and Corythosaurus did not have hollow crests. Dilophosaurus's crest is not hollow either, and was probably used as a display.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#12    Cryptoman

Cryptoman

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

-Douglas Adams

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:00 PM

Maybe the frills wre covered in skin and that area of skin had pigments like a chameleon skins. It could've been used to distiunguish there moods.

#13    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:04 PM

Maybe the frills wre covered in skin and that area of skin had pigments like a chameleon skins. It could've been used to distiunguish there moods.

Dilophosaurus never had frills, and we have no idea how the skin looked. For all we know, they could of been drab brown or hot pink (although very unlikley tongue.gif ).

-Frogfish-
Posted Image

#14    speshall mareens

speshall mareens

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:46 AM

Like the Lambeosaurus, it was most likely used for distinguishing sex and age. More often than not, juveniles of species with crests are usually crestless, and they slowly grow the crest in with passing years. It could have even been used as a status thing.

Several species had crests on their heads that were used for communication by blowing air through it like a horn, although I doubt that was the usage of the Dilophosaurus crest.

And yes, the poison from JP was created by the author of the book, while the size of the creature in the movie was severly reduced as well. Movies play little role in fact.

like deer and elk and moose., there crests had to be for display they were to fragile for anything else

speshall mareens;
       the few,
    the proud the,
mentally challenged

#15    Cryptoman

Cryptoman

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

-Douglas Adams

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:21 AM

Dilophosaurus never had frills, and we have no idea how the skin looked. For all we know, they could of been drab brown or hot pink (although very unlikley tongue.gif ).

I'm sorry, I meant the frills on the tops of its head. I don't want to sound retarded because I know the difference between the compltetely bogus (but cool) dilophosaurus from JP and the actual 20 foot predator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users