Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Is Your Life Already Written?

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#1    FOAM

FOAM

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:15 PM

Do you believe that life is already written?   I ran into a friend today who's religion is Hindu.  He was telling me that he knows a Chief Priest (Astrologer) like a psychic.  He told me something interesting.  That he believed that there is a book about life in general.  Life is already written and its in this book.  So your life, my life is written in this book.  What are your thoughts and views.  Do you believe that your life is already written?  

#2    Atheist God

Atheist God

Alien Abducter

• 5,438 posts

• At war with the evil Drug Enforcement Agency for over a decade!

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:53 PM

Do you believe that life is already written?   I ran into a friend today who's religion is Hindu.  He was telling me that he knows a Chief Priest (Astrologer) like a psychic.  He told me something interesting.  That he believed that there is a book about life in general.  Life is already written and its in this book.  So your life, my life is written in this book.  What are your thoughts and views.  Do you believe that your life is already written?

You refer to destiny and no I do not beleive this.
There is no fate but what you make!

Fact is we write our own lives individually, i often refer to people who beleive in destiny as fatalists because that is what they are.

Posted Image

A site I write my own articles. sw-gm check em out.

#3    Ness of Psionix

Ness of Psionix

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

• I challenge any "skeptic" to adopt an open mind and legitimately try Psionics for one month. You want proof? Here's your chance.

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:08 AM

I've heard of this book before, I think, but I think it's all BS. Our futures are made of what we do now, and what we do now is up to us. Therefore, we shape our own destinies.

My Psionics site - www.psionix.co.nr

#4    Razer

Razer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:26 AM

Free will is something that has been debated for hundreds if not thousands of years.  I have never come accross an arguement so compelling that it proves one over the other without a doubt.

I think this is something each person must come to terms with on their own.  I very much want to believe in free will, because it feels right and it sure seems that I can exercise free will.  However, I am not completely opposed to the idea that it may be an illusion.

As for as the book, I have not heard of a Hindu book like that, but I have not a great deal of studying on Hinduism either.

What you described sounds suspiciously like the book of life you find in Judaism, here is the wiki:

http://en.wikipedia....f_Life_(Judaism)

Edited by Razer, 24 January 2007 - 01:26 AM.

#5    m. Moe

m. Moe

UMs Official Fiend

• 1,730 posts

• I'm that evil voice in your head that tells you to burn things.

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:27 AM

No, only you can control your life. thumbsup.gif

Posted Image
Signature by the_scorpian
"Sweet lovely death, I'm waiting for your breath, come sweet death one last caress"
Congrats, you found my subliminal message. Now pat yourself on the back and stop highlighting my signature

#6    mewtwo

mewtwo

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:55 AM

Well actually, everything is caused by something else.  If you had a large enough computer you could use the location of all the particles in the universe to predict their future motions.

There are no random events. You cannot even make a random decision because every choice is based on your state of mind, which is effected by physical forces.

No man is an island.

You are as pathetic as the rest.

#7    FOAM

FOAM

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:32 AM

If this isn't true about how peoples lives are not already written.  What about the Mayan calendar written by Mayan Priests that can see the future.  Didn't that predict future events.  Or psychics and prophets.  How do these people see the future if it isn't written?  The pyramids in Egypt.  The hieroglyphics predicted future events.  How so if the future is not written.

The Influences that surround you which makes you the person who you are cannot be controlled by you.  We all walk this path towards who we are supposed to be.  The influences steer you towards what you are going to be.  So maybe,  who you are going to be is already written because you cannot control your surrounding influences.

Edited by FOAM, 24 January 2007 - 05:43 AM.

#8    Atheist God

Atheist God

Alien Abducter

• 5,438 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:37 AM

If this isn't true about how peoples lives are not already written.  What about the Mayan calendar written by Mayan Priests that can see the future.  Didn't that predict future events.  Or psychics and prophets.  How do these people see the future if it isn't written?  The pyramids in Egypt.  The hieroglyphics predicted future events.  How so if the future is not written.

The mayan calender ends in 2012 and nothing you mentioned above has been proven to be able to tell future events. Hieroglyphs in Egyptian pyramids, psychics/prophets or the mayans could tell the future.

The Influences that surround you which makes you the person who you are cannot be controlled by you.  We all walk this path towards who we are supposed to be.  The influences steer you towards what you are going to be.  So maybe,  who you are going to be is already written because you cannot control your surrounding influences.

Sure you cannot change things that happen around you but you can decide how you will react to them. For example you see a ladies purse get snatched and you can make a 'choice' whether to help her or not. Some things like car accidents etc just happen you have no control over these types of events. However there are lot's of events you can controll for example what your career will be or whether or not you will have pancakes for breakfast.

Posted Image

#9    Razer

Razer

Psychic Spy

• 1,394 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:10 PM

However there are lot's of events you can controll for example what your career will be or whether or not you will have pancakes for breakfast.

Some would argue that those "choices" are just illusion and the everything from career choices, what you will have for breakfast, to altruistic behaviour are determined by ones own genetics and cumulative experiences.  Such that, any individual with that exact DNA who was exposed to those exact life circumstances would have chosen exactly the samething.  So in the end, you have no free will.

(I'm not argueing with you by the way, just putting this out there for discussion)

Edited by Razer, 24 January 2007 - 12:11 PM.

#10    Atheist God

Atheist God

Alien Abducter

• 5,438 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:44 PM

Some would argue that those "choices" are just illusion and the everything from career choices, what you will have for breakfast, to altruistic behaviour are determined by ones own genetics and cumulative experiences.  Such that, any individual with that exact DNA who was exposed to those exact life circumstances would have chosen exactly the samething.  So in the end, you have no free will.

(I'm not argueing with you by the way, just putting this out there for discussion)

I ask people to prove scientifically that we do not have free will. If they can't we have our answer...

Posted Image

#11    Fleur-de-lis

Fleur-de-lis

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 189 posts

• "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:50 PM

I think that major things that shape your life are alreadly planned, but there are lots of different paths to get to them, and its up to the choices and descions you make that decides which path you take.

So, there is free will, but in the end the most important parts in your life will happen whatever you do.  Obviously there is no way to prove this....It's just how I feel.

Edited by Fleur-de-lis, 24 January 2007 - 06:51 PM.

"These trials are only to test your faith, to show that it is strong and pure. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold-and your faith is far more precious to God than mere gold. So if your faith remains strong after being tried by fiery trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world."

#12    Jjbreen

Jjbreen

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,868 posts

• Time is the teller of all tales great and small.

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:59 PM

Here is the analogy that I have often used:

I have three kids. Each are very different from each other. 2 daughters and 1 son.

Now as their parent, I know based on their personalities, likes and dislikes what they will do/choose. Does this mean they do not have 'free will', no - it means I so understand them that the "odds" of me knowing the outcome of their choice is 95% or greater.

But they do surprise me at times and go a different 'choice'.

Some of our 'free will' choices are dictated by peer preasure, money, environment and so on. But even under these 'stimulus' we still sometimes just go a 'different direction'. Call it 'whim', 'gut feeling' and so on. Each choice is a choice of your will. Just how much of your 'will' you put into the choice is the question.

Did that make any sense???  blink.gif

Jj -

Edited by Jjbreen, 24 January 2007 - 07:31 PM.

#13    Alara

Alara

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 321 posts

• Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:59 PM

I think we, ourselves chose the way we are to live this life and the lessons that will be presented. There is an infinite number of possible futures and we choose one by every choice we make. It's not something bad. And it doesn't mean we don't have free will.

Edit: somewhat related to what I just said---> http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...p;#entry1513817

Edited by Alara, 24 January 2007 - 07:01 PM.

Love cures people -- both the ones who give it and the ones who receive it.

#14    Violet_Blue

Violet_Blue

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 160 posts

• “When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” Mark Twain

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:19 PM

I've been thinking about this for a while... and feel that it's possible our lives and future are written... but can also be changed by our actions and the decisions we make.

This is something that happened to me some time ago as I was about to fall asleep...

I was getting that dreaded feeling of falling into sleep paralysis, when I suddenly heard the doorknob to my bedroom jiggled and the door flew open.  I lifted up my head in time to see a tall man in dark clothing with a face mask on walk in... immediately lifting up his arm with a gun in his hand - pointing straigh at me and fired.  I only heard a zip through the air and felt a sharp punch-like pain in my chest as I fell back... and only had time to turn my head to the side to look at my husband lying next to me, still asleep as two more zips in the air hit him making his body jump, but he never got up.  The image faded and I saw blackness...  In my mind I desperately tried to wake myself up and finally did, I sat up in bed shaking and really upset... I had never had such a real and horrible dream of my own death!  I convinced myself it was only a nightmare and lied back down to try and sleep... seconds passed when the "dream" started again, but this time I heard a voice yell "Get up!! NOW, get up!!"... I sat up in a panic not wanting to go through that again, but I could still hear a faint voice telling me to "Get the door, Go!"... I jumped off the bed and now totally terrified I had to get to the door before this man got in, I ran in the dark towards our front door.  Just as I got to the living room I heard sounds by the front door, the doorknob shook and I knew someone was outside!!  ohmy.gif  I quickly hit the switch to turn on the front lights... I ran to the backdoor and turned the lights on to the back patio.  I peeked out the window and could not see anyone outside (wondered if maybe it was a relative who had stopped by)... I hoped at least all the lighting would scare them off and hopefully some of the neighbors would look out their window, wondering what was going on.  I sat there for a while still very upset.

After about a half hour I noticed lights outside, like someone was walking around with flashlights, and suddenly a very bright light was shining towards our house.  I looked out the window to see a police car parked on the street (while another slowly drove down the street) and a police officer walking towards our house.  They had noticed our lights were all ON and were checking to see if anyone had seen anything... What I was told by the officer was that a man had just held up a gas station near by and shot at the cashier, some witnesses had seen him run down our street and they were still searching for him!  blink.gif  I told him I had heard someone by our front door half an hour earlier and they looked all around our home outside as well as the rest of the street.  I don't know if they caught him, but it was definately one of those things you never forget.   no.gif

Now did I change my future? or did I simply keep this man from changing what was already written for my life? How and why do people get these sort of warnings about things that are yet to happen?  I don't know...

* Violet *

“The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity.”  Albert Einstein

#15    dlv

dlv

Psychic Spy

• 1,156 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:24 PM

Do you believe that life is already written?

Apparently, God revealed His plan (specifically) for Jesus.

"If you knew all that I knew, my poor Jerusalem, you'd see the truth, but you close your eyes..."  (Jesus Christ Superstar)

I believe at this point, Jesus made a conscious decision to give up his free will and die on the cross. In a way, it is an offer (from God, Himself) one can't refuse. Perhaps, it is an offer of a lifetime, an offer of freedom. This is beyond me, of course, because that plan was meant for Jesus. Whether the rest of the story is a mere PR concocted by his disciples is beyond me -- a man did die on the cross, regardless. A great power walked this earth, at one point in time, and I absolutely believe this happened because of special people I've met in this lifetime. To believe in the glory of this story (and Jesus to be equal to God and is God...) is to be a Christian. I am not a Christian, just because I don't believe Christ is God.

Prophets also saw and heard of God's plan for them.

But is one's life already written in a book..., that I don't know. I am grateful that I don't know God's plan for me. Again, I could only be grateful. In this case, ignorance is bliss, I think. If God does (concretely) reveal Himself or Herself to me, then perhaps, I will follow. I really couldn't tell you what I would do. Although, God's plan is not always so dramatic, nor tragic. For example, I exist; therefore, it is a plan, if one would like to see it that way, whether you and I consciously know it as such. I go about doing my daily routine. And I am extremely thankful for the people and cool things in my life. I count my many blessings, the miracles of life, everyday. Anything so profound is beyond my mind, in the first place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users