Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Is Your Life Already Written?

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#106    charmer512

charmer512

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

• When life gives you lemons, make grape jus. Then sit back and let the world wonder how you did it.

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:16 PM

Our lives aren't written in a book exacually. But they are already set out for us. It's just we have to ask for everything that set before us. . . in a sense.
But fate doesn't exist nor do coincidences.

Charmer512

#107    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:07 PM

Our lives aren't written in a book exacually. But they are already set out for us. It's just we have to ask for everything that set before us. . . in a sense.
But fate doesn't exist nor do coincidences.

Coincidences clearly do exist. Our lives our not set out, we can not control circumstance but we have a choice, we always have a choice.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#108    Please Explain

Please Explain

• Closed
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:20 AM

No, there are options available, just because you do not like them does not mean options are not available.

You are talking something that is beyond my comprehension.
Are you raising a family sir?

#109    drakonwick

drakonwick

Government Agent

• 4,198 posts

• There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:46 AM

You just really don't quite understand it do you?
Okay lets put it this way it does not matter what comes at you, you have a choice to perceive this matter and make a choice that best suites you.

I do understand that freak accidents do happen and you do not have any control of these incedents but thats just life it has nothing to do with you're life being already written down.

~Moro

I remember the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says: "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." I suppose we all thought that, one way or another." - J. Robert Oppenheimer.

#110    Mr.Dot

Mr.Dot

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:54 PM

If there is a book, then it is written that there is a book. And in that book everything is written and then there is another book and blah  rofl.gif

Its a paradox...

So my guess is that there is no magic books.  tongue.gif

Edited by ImAlien, 13 February 2007 - 03:40 PM.

#111    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:05 PM

No I am not. But I fail to see the relevance.

Edited by Mattshark, 13 February 2007 - 03:05 PM.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#112    sihtecrof1

sihtecrof1

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:28 AM

concerning free will, its all a matter of opinion so far...

If you're a "spiritual" person, read here...

God created man with free will. God knows all. God created man already knowing each specific end. Does this mean truly can give up his power to know all at the moment of creation, or did He infact create you, and lead you to believe you are free. This is often called predestination. If you belive you are freewilled then go ahead and be spontanious, but... never once will you surprise God;)
Acceptance of God being able to grant free will and know all at the same time is often considered the "leap-of-faith" for believing in a creator.

If you believe modern science, read here...

According to Quantum Physics, Our universe is a reflection of the state of all atoms at any given moment. At any given moment the state of an atom is endless. (Meaning particles have the possiblity of simultaneously being in multiple places at any give moment.) The act of observation or the passive ability of perception in all life reduces the chance of particles being in more than one place, to a very precise probability in which we can calculate. This seems to give all life a small margin for choices in thequantum world, but that small margin of probabilty is infinite free-will to us. This accounts for the mathematically unexplainable anomalies in nature as well.

#113    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 16,456 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:31 AM

I am sure the last post was articulate and convincing, but i chose not to read it, and thus, by the smallest degree, created a point of divergence from the life i might have lived if i had chosen to read it.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#114    WBDollface16

WBDollface16

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:27 PM

Do you believe that life is already written?   I ran into a friend today who's religion is Hindu.  He was telling me that he knows a Chief Priest (Astrologer) like a psychic.  He told me something interesting.  That he believed that there is a book about life in general.  Life is already written and its in this book.  So your life, my life is written in this book.  What are your thoughts and views.  Do you believe that your life is already written?

I have read about this "life book" but I can't recall exactly what it is called.  What I do believe is that maybe to some extent our ultimate destinies are written but there are many different paths to getting there which we choose by our own free will.  Obviously, different decisions will cause different outcomes, but what if in the end, any of the decisions we made only affected the path and not the destination?  I guess those are things we may never know until we move on from this physical life.

#115    wjsa

wjsa

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 116 posts

• What we do in life - Echoes in Eternity

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:44 PM

In my opinion, I think the answer is both yes and no.
Let me explain.

For those of us who have entered into the final stages of our lifepath (old souls - multiple re-incarnations), I believe the future is predertermined.
This comes about after multiple lives and lessons learnt, and your soul guides you to where you need to go whether you want it or not.
I have been struggling with this for quite some time now. It seems whatever direction I take is fruitless, and life is on autopilot and eventually leads me to where it wants me to go. No matter how hard you fight it, it will go where you are supposed to go. At times it seems the whole cosmos is working against you and your decisions have no impact whatsoever.
Believe me, I fight this daily, but I think it is time to let go and surrender to destiny.
This obviously does not include the day-to-day choices about what you will wear or eat, but mainly affects your direction in life.

On the flipside, you have new souls with what seems to be an ocean of choices ahead of them. They take a direction and nothing prevents them from making those choices. They will ultimately go through many lifetimes making decisions until they realize their purpose in life. That will be the end of free will and their next life will be one with fewer choices. Live and learn.

You might know people life this....Life seems pretty easy and things come their way without much effort. Rewards, money, fame, you name it.

Feel free to comment. I would like to know if some of you have had similar experiences.

#116    Please Explain

Please Explain

• Closed
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:44 AM

You just really don't quite understand it do you?
Okay lets put it this way it does not matter what comes at you, you have a choice to perceive this matter and make a choice that best suites you.

If i'm holding a key of reincarnation, i will throw you in a drought stricken country and see if you have choices to make that best suits you.

#117    Swandancer

Swandancer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 283 posts

• "Without fear and illness, I could never have accomplished all I have." Edvard Munch

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:01 PM

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or start a new thread. It's clearly not about life being written in a book, but it comes close.

Here is a site for a free online Course in Consciousness from the University of Virginia that says in Chapter 5: Conscious Mind and Free Will, that scientific studies and experiments have been conducted that prove, in the opinion of the course's professor, that not only do we not have free will, but also that we do not decide our actions.

This both encourages and discourages me, and I have not, in the two times I have read through this course completely, decided if I believe this or would want to. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. (Is that 'me' deciding? He says there is no "I", no "doer" and no "doership"). ph34r.gif

The biggest problem I have had with this is, I've spent so much time trying to get or do or be things I ended up not being able or allowed to do/be/have/get, etc. Would that not be too contradictory, if something else is determining our thoughts and actions? Why all that time wasted on something that wasn't "meant to be"? If a 'higher intelligence' is determining this, then why wouldn't it just direct my efforts to what I can definitely accomplish and be successful with? I suppose it could go to the argument about learning and growing..... There was a scientific experiment that showed a person does not initiate their own actions, and Chapter 5 talks about it at length. But his own argument about how this proves that we do not decide our thoughts or actions is that if we did, we would automatically choose that which would make us constantly happy, etc. However, in my argument, why am I sometimes led to things that only frustrate me? If Consciousness is deciding 'for' me, then why am I not consistently happy and successful? This is my biggest problem with the whole theory of "Oneness".

This professor does respond to email questions, but I have not been totally satisfied as yet with some of his answers.

Edited by Swandancer, 16 February 2007 - 09:06 PM.

"We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace."

"For the mystic what is how. For the craftsman how is what. For the artist what and how are one."
William McElcheran

#118    Please Explain

Please Explain

• Closed
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:13 AM

That's a very nice thought Dancingswan.
We decide, we choose but something gonna change it.
I always work dayshift and never in my mind to do afternoon or nightshift because my family is gonna be affected. But something happened at work that i have to go afternoon shift. It turn out very very good changes. Now i understand why something bad happened to me at work because if that's not gonna happen, they wont put me in afternoon shift.
We really have free will to choose but someone always changing it and ended up fake will.
I guess we're only here to learn a lesson and we leave everything on earth when we die but the knowledge remains with us.

#119    wjsa

wjsa

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 116 posts

• What we do in life - Echoes in Eternity

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:56 AM

I also believe that the things we do have some control over are not necessarily CHOICES.
I believe that instead of choices, we only have OPTIONS.

In a sense there is a big difference between choices and options.

With choices, you get to decide what you want and this would ultimately constitute free will.
With options, you only get to choose from the options that are presented to you...and normally there are only a few.

Maybe this is to balance life and the universe in some way...for every action there is a reaction, yin-yang whatever.
If we all had free will, we might destroy this delicate balance...

#120    Swandancer

Swandancer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 283 posts

• "Without fear and illness, I could never have accomplished all I have." Edvard Munch

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:01 PM

That's a very nice thought Dancingswan.
We decide, we choose but something gonna change it.
I always work dayshift and never in my mind to do afternoon or nightshift because my family is gonna be affected. But something happened at work that i have to go afternoon shift. It turn out very very good changes. Now i understand why something bad happened to me at work because if that's not gonna happen, they wont put me in afternoon shift.
We really have free will to choose but someone always changing it and ended up fake will.
I guess we're only here to learn a lesson and we leave everything on earth when we die but the knowledge remains with us.

Somehwere in that very long online course he says "You are not living, you are being lived". Of course, he means being lived by Consciousness. This is extremely hard to accept, especially given that it begs the question of why there are psychopaths and so much suffering in this world.

He also says when a person is meant to become enlightened, they will, and not before. If you are meant to do spiritual practices (such as meditation, etc., to raise your awareness) you will; if not, you won't.

If Consciousness is deciding all this for each person, my question has always been why it doesn't choose to have everyone do this right away, and end all this suffering.  wacko.gif

"We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace."

"For the mystic what is how. For the craftsman how is what. For the artist what and how are one."
William McElcheran

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users