Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

More Strange Lights

smellsomethingfishy

(Charlotte, NC-AP) January 25, 2007 - Some people in the Charlotte area called 911 dispatchers and reported seeing a weird hovering light in the sky.

Emergency dispatchers answered the calls in Iredell, Lincoln, Mooresville and Huntersville Wednesday night. One Lincoln County officer reportedly saw it, and the National Weather Service in Greer, South Carolina got similar calls.

Even stranger - people in between the two areas in York, Gaston and Cleveland counties had no such 911 reports.

The Federal Aviation Administration had no reports of plane crashes, and law enforcement officers said they didn't see any extra-terrestrials.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is the entire article as it appears this morning on WISTV.com, a local television station in Columbia, SC.

Anyone know any more about this than what is stated in this artice?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• landscapecontractor

• smellsomethingfishy

• swmsouthbound

• Aztec Warrior

I don't want hear more "flares" ,"secret ballons" or" swamp gas."

I agree, however, that is most likely what we are going to get. I am not terribly familiar with the Charlotte area news/tv stations, I haven't really done a search yet, but I will. I live about 80 miles from Charlotte in Columbia, SC and my daughter and I saw something very strange in the sky on the way home from ball practice last night. That is why this article piqued my curiosity.

I didn't claim to have seen these lights, I didn't write the article, I don't have any photos......I asked if anyone else had any information on this report. If this is not the forum for requesting information, please direct me.

I grew up in this area, and it's pretty rural... It's not so much a mystery of it not being visible in those in between places as simply there may not have been anyone looking up in those counties at the time to see anything.

-- Jaylemurph

Its ball lightning!

Kidding... It needs to be looked at for sure!

Its ball lightning!

Kidding... It needs to be looked at for sure!

Good picture and it surely does look strange. However, it might not be as strange though. Further down in the article it says:

Based on the reports, Caton believes it was an unusually bright meteor that burned up about 30 miles high in the atmosphere somewhere above Charlotte. Sightings came from more than 100 miles away.

Many witnesses say the light appeared to fizzle at the end and break into pieces, making it a special kind of fireball called a bolide. In the universe of meteors, they're A-List entertainers, known for their splashy finales.

If that is indeed the case that it fizzled and broke up, then it sounds like a meteor like suggested by the astronomer (Caton).

Best,

Badeskov

Good picture and it surely does look strange. However, it might not be as strange though. Further down in the article it says:

If that is indeed the case that it fizzled and broke up, then it sounds like a meteor like suggested by the astronomer (Caton).

Best,

Badeskov

When I was a jr high schooler in 1971 or 72 a friend and myself were standing in an alley way used only for foot traffic (we used to hang out there a lot with skate boards and such). This was in santa rosa california, summer time in the evening just before dark, somewhere around 9:00pm.. we both happened to be facing mostly south and had a pretty large patch of sky directly and periferally. A huge orange ball for lack of a better word crossed from somewhat northwest to somewhat southeast. It took 1 or two seconds to pass from our field of vision to beyond the horizon. The size was enormous, like 10 times the apparent size of the moon, it blocked a good portion of the sky completely out and wasnt hugely bright.. it looked like it was on fire or atleast had that kind of heat with it. My friend looked at me immediately after the very short event and said "DID YOU SEE THAT"? I dont honestly remember what I said but was in instant synch with it and we discussed it for years afterwards. I have never once thought this thing was an alien craft (lol, maybe it was...), but I have over the years looked for any event which was recorded by astronomers and cant find a thing even close. I diddle around in astronomy and astrophotography, have 3 nice scopes and use them often.. I have seen much lesser meteors and what looked like debris entering the atmosphere and breaking up with the tail and everything.. But this thing was truly enormous and at the very least it had to be a near miss with an asteroid or something. The closest I can estimate as far as date is somewhere between 1971 and 1973, between 11 and 13 years old give or take a year:-) I sure wish I had the presence of mind to record the date and all.

Got any idea how I might find something about this event?

My brother and i had a weird sighting also, we were laying down on a dock at a lake and saw this object zip across the sky and then it just disappeared it freaked me out, and it definitly wasnt a shooting star or an airplane. it was pretty messed up. :unsure2:

I live in rocky Mount that's about 4 hour's from there and i have not seen it on the new's..But if you ask me 4 hour's is too close for a UFO sighting....... :blink::alien:

My brother and i had a weird sighting also, we were laying down on a dock at a lake and saw this object zip across the sky and then it just disappeared it freaked me out, and it definitly wasnt a shooting star or an airplane. it was pretty messed up. :unsure2:

I fully think this was an object in the form of something natural like a huge asteroid or something.. it had to be. I've spent a lot of time trying to find "near misses" and such but had no luck. This thing was apparently HUGE, it had to be recorded somehow because it was very, very close but still outside our atmosphere (I think anyway) because I really didnt see a tail or the usual streaking like you see when things enter the atmosphere.

Was thinking there would be a data base of near misses but I cant find it <_<

I agree, however, that is most likely what we are going to get. I am not terribly familiar with the Charlotte area news/tv stations, I haven't really done a search yet, but I will. I live about 80 miles from Charlotte in Columbia, SC and my daughter and I saw something very strange in the sky on the way home from ball practice last night. That is why this article piqued my curiosity.

My girlfriend who lives in Columbia SC also had a sighting on Thursday Jan 25th 2007 at 6:30 PM and once again the following night, Friday Jan 26th, also at 6:30PM in Columbia, SC, after she told me of this I emailed her the picture of the oval shaped light photographed prior to her sightings from Wed. night Jan. 24th taken in Charlotte, NC, (there were sightings from Greenville, SC, Blacksburgh, SC & Charlotte, NC that night) but she said what she saw did not look like that, what she saw was "more like a big ball of light with something flat on the bottom -- no lights there and the bottom was barely visible." I live near Greenville, SC; Columbia, SC is about 80 miles from here, we spend alot of time together but unfortunatly I was at home that week. She has no real interest in the subject but knew that I did, it was after I told her of the Wed. night sightings that she told me of hers. I searched the net for any other Columbia, SC sightings during that time & so far only came across this posting. Could it be military activity from the base in Columbia? Or something else? We may never know for sure. I am SWMSOUTHBOUND@aol.com, Mike :)

Edited by swmsouthbound

• 1 month later...
My girlfriend who lives in Columbia SC also had a sighting on Thursday Jan 25th 2007 at 6:30 PM and once again the following night, Friday Jan 26th, also at 6:30PM in Columbia, SC, after she told me of this I emailed her the picture of the oval shaped light photographed prior to her sightings from Wed. night Jan. 24th taken in Charlotte, NC, (there were sightings from Greenville, SC, Blacksburgh, SC & Charlotte, NC that night) but she said what she saw did not look like that, what she saw was "more like a big ball of light with something flat on the bottom -- no lights there and the bottom was barely visible." I live near Greenville, SC; Columbia, SC is about 80 miles from here, we spend alot of time together but unfortunatly I was at home that week. She has no real interest in the subject but knew that I did, it was after I told her of the Wed. night sightings that she told me of hers. I searched the net for any other Columbia, SC sightings during that time & so far only came across this posting. Could it be military activity from the base in Columbia? Or something else? We may never know for sure. I am SWMSOUTHBOUND@aol.com, Mike :)

Sam Gordon, radio DJ on the Oil City, Pa radio station WOYL took a photograph of one of the UFOs sighted in Oil City in October 1975 from the McDonalds parking lot during the day time. Before I left Oil City about 25 years ago to move to West Palm Beach, Fla. he showed it to me while on his front porch. It was 3 points of light in the sky above some downtown buildings. I was 15 at the time of the sightings and heard all the talk on the CB radios that night. I had an amazing sighting of a cigar shaped object with multi colored lights revolving around it slowly flying along the hill line of the south side, that was around winter 1968, it was silent at the time and flew above my head and then back to the spot in which it came and continued along the hill line.

In the spring of 1977 or 1978 a UFO was also sighted by a friend of mine above Hog Back, he was in the Riverside Hasson Heights parking lot where he worked as a packer, which I think is a Bi-Lo store now. I can't remember too well how it was described. SWMSOUTHBOUND@aol.com, Mike :)

What began this thread was a certain meteorite. I remember checking at the time, and I feel certain there were three submitted reports from S.C., relevant to that event. I think it was traveling from NE to SW.

An enhanced version of the photo revealed typical meteorite effects, with an apex area, and a wake. The colors of bluish-green or greenish-blue, with a yellow-white core were not unlike some others, like the Peakskill meteorite.

That event is easy to understand. Where things are more difficult, is when people describe things they think they saw, if they were perhaps the only witness. Or, if it was a balloon-thing from a festivity, which should be against the law, since there are fire hazzard conditions in so many places. That's all I am going to say on that.

The cyclindrical object with other lights sounds unusual.

I wrote to a ufo researcher about a sighting I once had. The response was frosty, and nil. It can be difficult without some degree of corroboration.

Edited by leadbelly