Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Piri Reis Map

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    ChristianExtremist

ChristianExtremist

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:03 PM

http://www.world-mysteries.com/sar_1.htm  <--- overview website dealing with map.

Turkish map maker tried to combine a bunch of different maps, including some ancient ones.  In 1513  (1492 Columbus sailed, so that is a 21 years after Columbus sailed).

http://www.prep.mcneese.edu/engr/engr321/preis/pirimap3.jpg   <---big map

The map shows the eastern most part of Brazil as the most accurate, and everything radiating from that point in Brazil seems to get more and more outa wack.

http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/GRAPHIC1/PSCI/pirireis2b.gif  Real world against Piri Reis Map.

linked-image

However.  http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/image/2minrelief.html  If you take the topography of the earth, and lowered the sea level by several thousand feet, then the map starts to match up better.   (The conspiracy theorists say that bottom of the map is Antartica, which is an even bigger stretch then what I am proposing.)

A lowered sea level would expose allot more land, turning the Carribean into a sort of MEditerranean Sea, with several "Rock of Gibralter" equivalents.    http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/image/2minsur...350/45N090W.jpg

A lowered sea level can also explain that large eastbound coastline expansion, in the southern part of the Piri Reis Map.  The one the Conspiracy Theorists claim is Antartica.  Fakland Island area.  It would be one big landmass just like it shows on the map.   http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/image/2minsur...350/45S090W.jpg

A lowered sea level also would expose a bunch more islands everywhere in the Atlantic, even though the map doesn't even match half of them.  But if were dealing with many different cartographer sources, ancient and otherwise, what do you expect.

Also what is interesting is that with a lowered sea level, the easternmost part of Brazil undergoes the least change, the continental shelf is steep there, which could explain why it is the most accurate part of the map (Save the old world).

SO!  Is there any evidence the ocean sea level has been about 500-2000 meters below its present state?  Within the last, say 20,000 years.

#2    M.A.D CapeBretoner

M.A.D CapeBretoner

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:27 PM

what you are saying that atlantis is in the south,but the geoligy does not support this,for their are no islands in the south that has all the same quality's

as the island of cape breton.

and with the counter clockwise motion of the american plate from a dectionic veiw puts it in the north atlantic than in the south atlantic.

the island i talk about was not hidden from sight on a map but hidden in mind from knowing.

#3    Adam2006

Adam2006

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• From the seed of doubt grows the tree of fear- me

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:27 PM

SO!  Is there any evidence the ocean sea level has been about 500-2000 meters below its present state?  Within the last, say 20,000 years.

I don't know of any evidence but this gave me the idea of where Noah's Arc/k came from.
Theory:

There was a lower sea-level and then they suddenly rose to the current state. To the people of the time this would be a massive flood, causing coastal settlements to be washed away. As the years went by, the story grew and it ended up being entwined with current faiths. It seems like God/gods are against them and tried to kill everyone with a great flood. The Arc and noah could just have been incorparated into it, or a boat did get caught on the only island big enough to still stay above the levels.

I dunno what that sounds like but it struck me as i was reading it.  original.gif

Anyway, i think the only real way of finding out is to get to the places with radar and see if anything shows up. Other that i am unsure due to our current techlogy and mapping. We have satellites that can see things as they really are and would pick up any island. Back then they did not have such things, and maps can be drawn wrongly. hmm.gif

I like the idea though and think it is plausible. yes.gif

The things hardest to see are often the things right in front of you

Posted Image

#4    M.A.D CapeBretoner

M.A.D CapeBretoner

Psychic Spy

• 1,416 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:38 PM

maby with the story of noah you will see,at one time in the past the med -sea was alot smaller what i mean is those pillars were once one pillar and held back the atlantic ocean.

but because of detionic drift they opened up and like a great flood the ocean came in ,well noah surfed this wave to were he did and because he was the first to come into this airea of the known world  that he knew,

but there are other story's of men and boats who save humanity like in the mic-mac and his name sebanees and he was on this side of the atlantic.

#5    IamsSon

IamsSon

Unobservable Matter

• 11,855 posts

• ďIf you canít explain it simply, you donít understand it well enough.Ē ~ Albert Einstein

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:53 PM

The claim that the Falkland Islands explain the extended coastline at the souther end of the map is ridiculous.  Here is a link to a map of the islands.  They are way too far north and are fairly well represented on the Piri Reis map.

LINK

"But then with me that horrid doubt always arises whether the convictions of man's mind which has been developed from the mind of the lower animals, are of any value or at all trustworthy. Would any one trust in the convictions of a monkey's mind, if there are any convictions in such a mind?" - Charles Darwin, in a letter to William Graham on July 3, 1881

#6    ChristianExtremist

ChristianExtremist

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:51 PM

The claim that the Falkland Islands explain the extended coastline at the souther end of the map is ridiculous.  Here is a link to a map of the islands.  They are way too far north and are fairly well represented on the Piri Reis map.

LINK

Look at the topological map, the link I provided, the NASA one.  At the Falkan Islands there are hundreds of miles of shallow water surrounding it of depths 500 meters or more shallow.  And in actuality the Falkan Islands are not too far north, they are further south then what that old map shows.  Antartica is even way way further south.

Im not talking about Atlantis.  If Atlantis was near the America's, then they would be too far, and it would be too impractical to launch an invasion against the Greeks (per old Egyptian Priest story).

Edited by ChristianExtremist, 28 January 2007 - 05:53 PM.

#7    Razer

Razer

Psychic Spy

• 1,356 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 06:29 PM

I have not seen any, but that would be interesting.

"During the most recent ice age (at its maximum about 20,000 years ago) the world's sea level was about 130 m lower than today, due to the large amount of sea water that had evaporated and been deposited as snow and ice in northern hemisphere glaciers. The majority of the glaciers had melted by about 10,000 years ago, but minor glacial melting has continued (with occasional reversals) throughout recorded human history. More detail about the changes in sea level for the past 140,000 years can be seen by accessing this chart."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_level

#8    ChristianExtremist

ChristianExtremist

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:52 PM

130 meters isn't enough.

#9    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 14,901 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:48 AM

Christian,

Here is a link to a satellite image of global topograhpy. Even a drop in sea level of up to 2000m wouldn't produce the land mass jutting out from Brazil as the map purports to display. It is more likely the map simply has a few cartographical errors (not uncommon for the time.) I have read that the non-existent land mass was a duplication of the Brazilian coast from another map but the original cartographer had got the latitudes/longitudes transposed (or Reis mistranslated them.)

As the Reis map is a confusion of up to 20 more ancient maps any errors would be carried over and possibly exaggerated.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#10    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,409 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:52 AM

I don't know of any evidence but this gave me the idea of where Noah's Arc/k came from.
Theory:

There was a lower sea-level and then they suddenly rose to the current state. To the people of the time this would be a massive flood, causing coastal settlements to be washed away. As the years went by, the story grew and it ended up being entwined with current faiths. It seems like God/gods are against them and tried to kill everyone with a great flood. The Arc and noah could just have been incorparated into it, or a boat did get caught on the only island big enough to still stay above the levels.

I have been saying this for ages too....

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#11    Bosanchero

Bosanchero

Psychic Spy

• 1,450 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:56 PM

Christian,

Here is a link to a satellite image of global topograhpy. Even a drop in sea level of up to 2000m wouldn't produce the land mass jutting out from Brazil as the map purports to display. It is more likely the map simply has a few cartographical errors (not uncommon for the time.) I have read that the non-existent land mass was a duplication of the Brazilian coast from another map but the original cartographer had got the latitudes/longitudes transposed (or Reis mistranslated them.)

As the Reis map is a confusion of up to 20 more ancient maps any errors would be carried over and possibly exaggerated.

quiet unprobeably actually.... if u look at the REST of the map its pretty much picture perfect (ofcourse with some flaws) but this is one hellova mistake original.gif makes u wonder doesnt it ??? he maped Everything right than he "Mistranslates" something so major ???

as good of an excuse as Idk ... lets say he gre tiresome of drawing maps so he just wanted to finish fast ???

Heaven won't have me and Hell's afraid I'll take over

View Postwhen.i.am.queen., on Jan 10 2007, 06:57 AM, said:

Here is a crazy thought

... perhaps.....not?

#12    Razer

Razer

Psychic Spy

• 1,356 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:37 PM

if u look at the REST of the map its pretty much picture perfect (ofcourse with some flaws)

Picture perfect but with some flaws, gotcha.

#13    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,678 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:19 PM

Not that I particularly hold to his theories, but in his book 1421, Gavin Menzies suggests that 15th Cenury Chinese sailors were one of the primary sources for the map. If I recall correctly, he suggests part of the southern landmass is Antartica. Its improper position was a mistake made by cartographers who didn't account for extra speed from prevailing currents as they drew their charts. It seems slightly more reasonable than the sea rising and falling hundreds of meters or aliens helping out the Turkish navy.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#14    Bosanchero

Bosanchero

Psychic Spy

• 1,450 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:24 AM

Picture perfect but with some flaws, gotcha.

yes sir ... land masses change all the time... islands dissapear in water rasing.. some apear....

picture perfect was PERFECT PERFECT for the time of maps creation... and to say that someone who spent so much to get his hands on so many maps made an translation errorr is obsurd

Heaven won't have me and Hell's afraid I'll take over

View Postwhen.i.am.queen., on Jan 10 2007, 06:57 AM, said:

Here is a crazy thought

... perhaps.....not?

#15    Razer

Razer

Psychic Spy

• 1,356 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:47 AM

yes sir ... land masses change all the time... islands dissapear in water rasing.. some apear....

There must have been some serious changes that science is not aware of for this map to be considered picture perfect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users