Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

brain size does not always equate iQ

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    cyrus11

cyrus11

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:16 AM

why are people always stuck on the archaic belive that when it comes to intelligence, size of the brain matters..   many members in here who claimed to be educated or knowledgable tries to hammer in the fact that dinosarus had a small brain and that they are not where as intelligent as mammals and that they were lower on the evolutionary tree.. it is not the case...it is a fact that diosaurs out competed mammals in the evolutionary race. had not been whatever the catastrophy that wiped them out.. comet, disease, climate.. whatever.... they would have still survived today and they would have their contemporary model of human-like beings walking around instead of us...maybe they've already appeared and flown to the stars leaving nothing behind for the mammals to one day dig up and reverse engineer back their technologies...  anywho.. thats another topic....  back the the topic at hand... those of you who are stuck on the idea of brain size equal intelligence.. that in fact isn't always true... the first computer that was gigantic.yet it cannot even meansure up to today's hand held calculators..  sometimes it's not the size of the brain it's how it's wired.. a specie of jumping spider whos got a brain the size of the tip of a needle is able to remember locations and strategize the best possible attack on it's prey.......dinos other relatives the crocs..can even learn to recognize their names when called.. demonstrated by a zoo with its keepers with the cuban crocs.. where they called out names of each individual crocs and only the croc whos name was called responded to the command to come feed.. none of the crocs whos name were not called came up for food only after their name was called they did so...  but dinosaurs were a different story...dinosaurs were like birds, and probably endothermic..and their brains were probably shrunken to conserve energy or whatever evolutionary adaptation that gave them advantage... they got microprocessors fraction of mammalian size and probably just as  efficient if not maybe more..  take today's more intelligent brids for example.. kias, ravens... they rutinely out perform abstract intelligent tasks over many mammals.. and on par with great apes and young human children in solving problems and yet their brains were no bigger than a walnut.... smaller brain size and higher intelligence also found it's counterpart in mammals as well.... the new homo florensis who had the brain size of chimps yet display complex behaviors and created stone tools and fire... even humans for example..have brains smaller than those of neanderthals, our closest human relatives yet we out created them, competed them, out lived them all... sperm whales, having the biggest brains on the planet, never had the mind to create poetry, wondered about it's origins or looked to the stars..   mammals were not the first advanced creatures, we just got a huuuuge lucky break from evolution.  do not underestimate other creatures because of our lack of knowledge of them. thinking with that mentality is just arrogant and "unintelligent".

#2    speshall mareens

speshall mareens

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

• "hand me the holy hand grenade!!" monty python, search for the holy grail

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:22 AM

yes, we humans beleive we are so different and so smart, and look down on other cretures. they are smart. its really brain sixe realtivity to the animals that decide wehter theya re smart or not. but in reality, we're no as smart as we think we are. not as human as we think we are.

speshall mareens;
       the few,
    the proud the,
mentally challenged

#3    Opus Magnus

Opus Magnus

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

• blessed be

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:00 AM

Sorry, I didn't feel like reading that huge block of text, but I was taught that it's not the size of the brain, but the number of wrinkles it has.  The technical name of brain wrinkles escapes me at this time.

#4    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:03 AM

^The wrinkles are called sulci.

I read an article a while ago which said Einstein was partially missing a single sulcus, which allowed for more neuron connections to be established, boosting his intelligence. No idea if it's true or not, though.

#5    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:01 PM

yes, we humans beleive we are so different and so smart, and look down on other cretures. they are smart. its really brain sixe realtivity to the animals that decide wehter theya re smart or not. but in reality, we're no as smart as we think we are. not as human as we think we are.

No we are not, most people actaully have intelligence levels that are not particulary good (some just not good at all). The human race develops because there are some very intelligent individuals, not because the human race on the whole is intelligent.
Brain size is also dependent on sensory systems, more well developed sensory systems require a better developed brain, as does better co-ordination and dexterity. Brain is not just for thinking, it is primarily for control of the bodies vital functions and hormone control, cos lets face if you could but you couldn't regulate homeostasis, it would be rather pointless wouldn't it.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#6    cyrus11

cyrus11

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:19 PM

Sorry, I didn't feel like reading that huge block of text, but I was taught that it's not the size of the brain, but the number of wrinkles it has.  The technical name of brain wrinkles escapes me at this time.

it's true for mammals.. i don't think birds have any wrinkles to their brains yet they still have relatively high intelligence and good memories...
the smartest birds the corvids (crows / ravens) and the parrots both can problemsolve at a 5 yr old childs ability.. yet their smooth bird brains are just the size of walnuts...( walnut not including the shell.. but the small meaty part inside).  thus akin to micro-processors we have today comparing to the huge energy sapping unefficient computers back in the days.

#7    speshall mareens

speshall mareens

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 08:26 PM

No we are not, most people actaully have intelligence levels that are not particulary good (some just not good at all). The human race develops because there are some very intelligent individuals, not because the human race on the whole is intelligent.

yeah, i know. alot of us are dumb. hell my country is led by the worrst of al. Goerge W. Shrub

speshall mareens;
       the few,
    the proud the,
mentally challenged

#8    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:12 PM

Intelligence depends on a variety of factors. Like pointed out, the "wiring" of the brain is very important.

bigger brains does lean toward hightened senses.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#9    randym23

randym23

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

• the question IS the answer

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:21 PM

little science trivia:
if you unfolded all the sulci and made the human brain perfectly smooth it would be the size of a barrel.

apparently the folds allow for more reactive surface area, allowing for more neurons and the folds allow it to be compartmentalized in our skulls ( and probably add to the neural impulse patterns as well)

and visit my site:
Posted Image

#10    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 06 February 2007 - 05:28 PM

The human race develops because there are some very intelligent individuals, not because the human race on the whole is intelligent.

Yes!!  Yes yes yes yes yes.  So very much in agreement with that.  Not everyone is equal.

#11    bornagainuhmanduh

bornagainuhmanduh

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:31 PM

I recently saw a show on Primordial Dwarfism.  This is an extremely rare form of dwarfism and people who have it are tiny, some being the size of a newborn baby at adult-hood.  Unlike other forms of dwarfism, they are proportionately small so they have tiny heads as well.  Doctor's who treat these patients are often very surprised that they are of average or above average intelligence, instead expecting them to be mentally retarded due to their much smaller brain size.  I think this in itself makes a good argument against the big brain=big iq theory.  

As pointed out earlier, whales and dolphins have much larger brains than humans, yet most people believe that we are intellectually superior to them.    (I personally believe that we really can't judge or compare their intelligence with ours because it is entirely different)

"They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as the truth rather than truth as the authority."
Gerald Massey

www.peakoil.com

#12    War-Junkie

War-Junkie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:08 AM

sometimes size doesn't matter...............well dont tell a woman that

#13    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:39 AM

I recently saw a show on Primordial Dwarfism.  This is an extremely rare form of dwarfism and people who have it are tiny, some being the size of a newborn baby at adult-hood.  Unlike other forms of dwarfism, they are proportionately small so they have tiny heads as well.  Doctor's who treat these patients are often very surprised that they are of average or above average intelligence, instead expecting them to be mentally retarded due to their much smaller brain size.  I think this in itself makes a good argument against the big brain=big iq theory.  

As pointed out earlier, whales and dolphins have much larger brains than humans, yet most people believe that we are intellectually superior to them.    (I personally believe that we really can't judge or compare their intelligence with ours because it is entirely different)
Most dolphin brains are not much larger than humans. The ones that do are generally bigger animals than humans. Dolphins also have echolocaton, which requires and increase of the brain, but not the part that is used for cognative purposes.

Edited by Mattshark, 07 February 2007 - 12:40 AM.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#14    frogfish

frogfish

ஆங்கிலத்த&

• 11,142 posts

• Flyfishing -- the Art of the Gods

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:13 AM

Like I said, bigger brains means more atuned senses. Your olfactory lobe and optic fornix is better in direct correlation to size.

-Frogfish-
Posted Image
Researcher-Prostate Cancer Oncogene Research
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center

The National Center for Biotech Information
My Photo Gallery: Capturing India

Fishing is a Way of Life!

#15    speshall mareens

speshall mareens

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:47 AM

yes. the size of the parts of your brain that control senses are sense-size relative, but in terms of IQ, size doesn't matter.

speshall mareens;
       the few,
    the proud the,
mentally challenged

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users