Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Street Lights going out when driving under

jelly

For many years now (not everyday), I will be driving down the road at night or early morning, and one or two street lights will go out when I drive underneath them. They do not come on again (as much as I can tell) afterwards. I simply wondered if anyone else had experienced this, and if there is a hidden meaning in this weird phenomenon. Any comments would be appreciated.

Jelly

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jelly

• The Silver Thong

• randomhit10

• Opus Magnus

Top Posters In This Topic

For many years now (not everyday), I will be driving down the road at night or early morning, and one or two street lights will go out when I drive underneath them. They do not come on again (as much as I can tell) afterwards. I simply wondered if anyone else had experienced this, and if there is a hidden meaning in this weird phenomenon. Any comments would be appreciated.

Jelly

This happens to me all the time, when I'm walking, and one time even a succession of four or five in a row happened to go out when I walked under each; a strange coincidence, nothing more. These, and others that I walked under, simply had bulds that were old and regardless of whether one passed under them, would flick on and off from time to time. Now that the city has done something about it, the problem has been solved.

The most likely explanation is that the lights turned off because the sensor/timer in them cut them off to prevent overheating. I did see a documentary on lights going off when a man was near them, but I don't recall the title, name given the phenomenon, or the channel it aired on. maybe somebody remembers and or can link you to that information

This happens to me all the time, when I'm walking, and one time even a succession of four or five in a row happened to go out when I walked under each; a strange coincidence, nothing more. These, and others that I walked under, simply had bulds that were old and regardless of whether one passed under them, would flick on and off from time to time. Now that the city has done something about it, the problem has been solved.

Thank you BlueMoods. I did think of the timer issue, but since it is only one every so often, and never the same one, I thought it might be something more interesting. Who knows?

are they activated by photocell? When it gets dark they turn on and if some reflections of lights hit the right way could shut them off... clouds can turn them on etc...

Edit: also, vibrations and loose connections can cause wierd things like this

Edited by Celumnaz

it is cool you asked about this.....they (the street lights) turn on when my wife passes them....i thought that it was just some wild fluke or something about passing in a certain spot, etc....you have made me re-think this....cool post....thanks

randomhit10

Edited by randomhit10

are they activated by photocell? When it gets dark they turn on and if some reflections of lights hit the right way could shut them off... clouds can turn them on etc...

This is absalutly correct. :tu: no real mystery here.

The photo cell triggers and electromagnet, which in turns pulls a lever so a circuit of electricity will go through to make the light go on. I sometimes wonder if a car can emit electromagnetism to effect this lever. There's a streetlight just next to my house that does this, I watch all the time as cars drive under it and make it turn off. Some street lights are defective like that.

• 3 years later...

Jelly

i have this same experience and i've been noticing these occurrences for a little over a year now. i actually just researched the cause for this today and i found this: http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1600/pg1

at first i thought it was just a coincidence, that i was just more observant than others, but i've asked several of my friends if it ever happens to them and they laugh at me like i'm crazy! i'm not sure how much of the information on that site i believe, but it was pretty interesting. i do think it has a lot to do with the way they make the lights, but i know it can't be the cause for it THAT often. but you can draw your own conclusions :)

The photo cell triggers and electromagnet, which in turns pulls a lever so a circuit of electricity will go through to make the light go on. I sometimes wonder if a car can emit electromagnetism to effect this lever. There's a streetlight just next to my house that does this, I watch all the time as cars drive under it and make it turn off. Some street lights are defective like that.

this actually makes alot of sense to me. i think you and silver thong are on to something...

What's happening, is the lights are overheating and turning themselves off.

I think it's called street light interference phenomena (SLI)...

About ten years ago my dad was out on his early morning rounds - he was a milkman - and it was winter so still dark. All of a sudden, the streetlights he was driving under went out; immediately after that the motor on his float cut out - along with the vehicle lights - and he rolled to a halt in the dark. He went into his bag for a torch which - surprise surprise - didn't work. After what he says was about five minutes of banging the torch around to try and get it to work it came on. Followed by the float. Followed by the streetlights.

very strange.

SLI yeah

it's some mirco wave the brain of some people produces which causes the lights to turn off untill they're out of your range or the wave get weaker

these wave are stronger when the person is weary and tired

it's nothing serious used to happen alot to me

i have heared some people can control it and turn off the lights on and off willingly

and some electric equipment too

though i have saw nothing with my eyes of that

but i keep open mind i think it's possiable