Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Lunar Eclipses

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:05 AM

The sky's extremely clear tonight here in London, so I got a good chance to see it. It was definetely one of the best I've seen. yes.gif

#17    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

♔ Queen

• 8,482 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:37 AM

I see no redness in the moon. What a disappointment. *Sighs* Oh well. disgust.gif And I kinda just saw the moon itself. No eclipse.

#18    eden grange

eden grange

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

• ~Zauvijek~

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:41 AM

Could not see jack from here the moon was tiny, gutted.

#19    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,473 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 04 March 2007 - 02:44 AM

Could not see jack from here the moon was tiny, gutted.

The full moon is always around the same size. When it is near the horizon an optical illusion makes it seem larger.

If you did not allow your eyes to get fully dark adapted then it may have been difficult to see the redness.

If you were looking at the moon before or after totality then the moon may have looked like a crescent or half moon rather than a full moon. the missing "segment was the part that was in the Earth's shadow.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#20    Cinders

Cinders

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:09 AM

I realized later today that WEST of the MISSISSIPPI River here in the US, would not see this event (I am in Oregon)  
And I figured it was going to be cloudy all night anyway as it was for the past two days..but I was totally wrong!

We did not get to see the lunar eclipse, but we did get to see the FULL Moon tonight

With my DV camcorder I took several pics of the lovely FULL moon ...
here is one example of the 30 shots I took tonight...(working on practicing more with my cam..)

linked-image

Hopefully next ones will be better.. I know I should have focused better on this image.. but I am working on it! original.gif

Edited by Cinders, 04 March 2007 - 05:11 AM.

"We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it's forever." ~Carl Sagan

#21    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,002 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 04 March 2007 - 02:36 PM

I was pretty cloudy here in the N E USA, but I decided to go out with just my binoculars and give it a try. It was actually kind of cool, the clouds were broken so they passed over the moon as the eclipse took place. It gave the whole event a very eerie look. I still wish it had been clear but, c'est la vie! I'm just happy that I got to see it.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#22    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:55 PM

Yes, unfortunately, the Mid-Atlantic had thin clouds most of the night.
It was enough to see the eclipse, but it was unfortunately covered by a hazy thin cloud layer that masked any real detail.  It was, however clear that an eclipse was taking place.

#23    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,473 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:22 PM

Nice image Cinders.

I tried taking some images of moon from just after totality until the umbral part of the eclipse was finished. Unfortunately there was some thin hazy cloud towards the end. I have had limited success in lunar photography recently so I am not 100% confident that they will be any good. If they are OK I will post them here.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#24    Cinders

Cinders

Psychic Spy

• 2,012 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:12 AM

Nice image Cinders.

I tried taking some images of moon from just after totality until the umbral part of the eclipse was finished. Unfortunately there was some thin hazy cloud towards the end. I have had limited success in lunar photography recently so I am not 100% confident that they will be any good. If they are OK I will post them here.

Thank you for the kind compliment Waspie Dwarf.  (I really need to practice more with this thing lol)

Oh I would still love to see what you have.. please pm or email me if you don't wish to post in here. I would love to see these. A sweet friend from the UK and ON this forum, emailed me a few FABULOUS pics he took.. he is in the UK.. I'll try to see if he will post them here or give me permission to.

Because I am on the WEST USA coast, I totally missed this spectacular event. But in the same, I am greatful our overcast clouds here cleared away last night that I was able to see the Full Moon my way.. original.gif

"We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it's forever." ~Carl Sagan

#25    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,473 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:38 AM

Oh I would still love to see what you have.

It might be a while. I am using that old fashioned technology... film, so it might be a while before I finish the roll off and get them developed. I used the same set up as when I took this photo in June 2005, so fingers crossed.

linked-image

Posted Image
Click on button

#26    sheleven

sheleven

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 01:00 AM

Im in ireland.Had a great view of it.Spent hours just staring at it.My eyes  wacko.gif .

Who put that there?

#27    Cinders

Cinders

Psychic Spy

• 2,012 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 03:14 AM

It might be a while. I am using that old fashioned technology... film, so it might be a while before I finish the roll off and get them developed. I used the same set up as when I took this photo in June 2005, so fingers crossed.

linked-image

I have a dear friend in Holland that is like that too.. and he is an excellent photographer.. it is well worth the wait Waspie Dwarf.. I would love to see. original.gif  *keeping fingers crossed*

#28    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,982 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:09 PM

Hello,

I took photos through my telescope of the Eclipse which turned out ok, but i had problems with my camera and light levels, to be honest i was a bit disapointed with the photos i got, i must have took about 140 pictures and only a hand full were just about good enough to view,

Steve

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/6921/lunareclipsetd3.gif

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#29    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

♔ Queen

• 8,482 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:50 PM

Pretty picture, Waspie. <3

Awsome animation, Stevewinn. happy.gif

#30    Cinders

Cinders

Psychic Spy

• 2,012 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:05 AM

Hello,

I took photos through my telescope of the Eclipse which turned out ok, but i had problems with my camera and light levels, to be honest i was a bit disapointed with the photos i got, i must have took about 140 pictures and only a hand full were just about good enough to view,
Steve

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/6921/lunareclipsetd3.gif

This is sooo awesome Steve! Incredible!
Thank you so much for sharing this with us here.  thumbsup.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users