Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Otherkin - Real or mental?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    BlueMoods

BlueMoods

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

• The ease or difficulty of life is all in our attitude toward it.

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:21 PM

OK the more or less clinical definition is: Otherkin is a subculture made up of people who consider themselves non-human or having a connection to a mythical archetype in some way, usually believing to be mythological or legendary creatures.[1][2] The otherkin community grew out of the elven online community of the early-to-mid-1990s, with the earliest recorded use of the term otherkin appearing in early 1996.[3] Outside of their own subculture, otherkin beliefs are often met with controversy.[4] According to diagnosis criteria put forth by mental health professionals, the belief that one is an animal or can be turned into an animal is termed clinical lycanthropy[5], a delusion of varying severity and significance.

Per Wikipedia

Types of Otherkin include:
Therian - animal kin such as wolf, fox, feline
Dragon
Elf
Fae or Faerie
Angel
Demon
Phoenix - the mythical bird

Questionably
Shadow kin - maybe a different view of demon
Vampire - true vampires do have physical aspects as well as spiritual and mental.
Lycan - some claim minor wolf like physical attributes

Some claim to take the form of thier otherkin when they astral project - a common skill in thier communities, many work to learn it. Some claim to be multi-kin ie dragon/vampire.

To my mind being otherkin, save clinical lycanthropes (a mental illness), is simply a spiritual matter or a unique way to describe your personality in terms of the traits f another type of being or animal. What do you think - is it more than that?

#2    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 18 February 2007 - 11:00 PM

Otherkin is a subculture made up of people who consider themselves non-human or having a connection to a mythical archetype in some way, usually believing to be mythological or legendary creatures.

Sounds like make believe to me.  At the very least it indicates a disatisfaction with their human status; at worst, a type of pyschosis.

Many pyschotics profess feeling an alienation to other humans, oftentimes manifesting as a form of superiority conplex in which humans are beneath the subjects worth, thereby justifying the horrible deeds done to the victims.

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#3    RougeRat

RougeRat

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

• "Children are gifts from the Devil"

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:13 AM

I think some people just want to be "different" or "special". I find a lot of people who think like that tend to not get a long well with others due to being picked on, so I believe they soon tend to believe that this must be so because they are either better or different than most humans. Hence the fact that they start to live in there fantasy world. The internet just tends to reinforce this belief with group forums and stuff.  disgust.gif

I like big butts and I cannot lie Posted Image

#4    ND-DAVE

ND-DAVE

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

• I am the diligent Paladin who will take up my sword and sheild to protect and help one and all

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:22 AM

I would have to say its mental. The fact that it only came about in society in the early nineties is one point to look at to. Most of these types of clics ended up coming about when fantasy movies and ect. came about in the 70's and 80's. Until they have any physical attributes aside from plastic surgery or deformity, I'll say its mental.

To judge one another is to damn one another and to damn ourselves. I am the diligent Paladin who looks not to cast sinfull judgement on his fellow people, but will take up my sword and sheild to protect and help them one and all.

#5    MUM24/7

MUM24/7

All Words And No Action !!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

• When I'm hungry, I EAT

When I'm thirsty, I DRINK

When my coffee is strong, I ADD sugar

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:42 AM

OMG....Does this mean that when my hubby calls me , "hey foxy lady", he's actually saying, 'hey you lunatic' ??...  unsure.gif  disgust.gif  sad.gif

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence,

Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.

Genius will not: unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.

Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race....

#6    RougeRat

RougeRat

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

• "Children are gifts from the Devil"

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:48 AM

OMG....Does this mean that when my hubby calls me , "hey foxy lady", he's actually saying, 'hey you lunatic' ??...  unsure.gif  disgust.gif  sad.gif

Hey, as long as he doesn't really wish that you were an actual fox (same for you) then I think you guys are ok grin2.gif
Once "fur suits" start coming up in conversations then it might be time to worry tongue.gif

I like big butts and I cannot lie Posted Image

#7    MUM24/7

MUM24/7

All Words And No Action !!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

• When I'm hungry, I EAT

When I'm thirsty, I DRINK

When my coffee is strong, I ADD sugar

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:34 AM

Hey, as long as he doesn't really wish that you were an actual fox (same for you) then I think you guys are ok grin2.gif
Once "fur suits" start coming up in conversations then it might be time to worry tongue.gif

Speaking of "fur suits", we went to this costume place once where..........*thinking twice about it*.......nevermind.. wink2.gif

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence,

Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.

Genius will not: unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.

Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race....

#8    Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy

Sandersnista

• 6,619 posts

• "Can't deny you're implacted, in the mayhem in my mind. You got me so frustrated, you should be mine!" - Rebecca Black, Person of Interest

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:26 AM

Even on a paranormal forum, there are enough "normal" people to consider Otherkin ... odd. Hmm.

| Ouija/Ideomotor | Sleep Paralys./Hypnogogia | Ouija: 252 hrs/4yrs

#9    Celestae

Celestae

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

i literally only just heard of this and thought i would search the forum to see if anyone has posted about "otherkin" low and behold .. i end up here... so hello everyone :yes:
anyway i dont really know much about this other kin business but i think i agree with

View PostRougeRat, on 19 February 2007 - 12:13 AM, said:

I think some people just want to be "different" or "special".   style_emoticons/default/disgust.gif

i think its interesting, and even if people want to believe this then i think its fine.... this world is about free will after all. I would like it to be true because i do liken people i meet to animal characteristics on occassion.

im not disregarding it... but i am just plain ol' human.
:clap:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users