Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Stream of Consciousness #8

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 22 November 2003 - 05:38 PM

Every day or so I see a story on the news about more American soldiers being killed in some kind of violence in Iraq.  Roadside bombs, ambushes, car bombs, suicide bombers, whatever does the job.  This is six months or so after major combat was said to be over.  Six months after we did what we were told we were sent over there to do.  Six months and still no solid proof of weapons of mass destruction have been found.  Six months and we still seem to have no idea of what to do with a country weíve just plunged into chaos.  I read that the handover was supposed to be taking place, that we were getting ready to set the rebuilding in progress, so that we could start pulling our troops out of there.  So they could come home. I just read the other day that Bush is asking for more help, that there are no immediate plans on withdrawing our troops.  In fact, it looks like weíre sending more.  Which makes me wonder, was there ever  a plan for after Saddam was out of power?  I, personally, donít  think there ever was.  And now,  weíre paying for it, big time.  While the Bush administration sits on their thumbs, asking the European community for more troops and money, more people are dying, every day, waiting for, something.  It seems to me that whatever progress was being made in Iraq is stagnating.  The situation seems to be getting worse everyday.  And those WMDs, still no sign.  

Maybe they were destroyed before American and British troops got over there, maybe maybe Saddam was like, crap, theyíre coming to take over my country, flush the mustard gas so they donít find it.  Wouldnít they have just said ďscrew itĒ and used them on us?  That theory makes no sense to me at all.  Or they were really, really well hidden.  Well, I think there would be something found by now.  Iím beginning to think that maybe there never were any WMDs in the first place.  Maybe that was a load of crap that Bush handed us to get over there and whup Saddam for his daddy.  To finish what Bush Sr. started.  He was riding a wave of approval after winning in Afghanistan and how he handled the 9-11 attacks.  Hey, why not take advantage of it?  Go all out.  After all, we love him, right?  Well, after 9-11, I would have invaded Afghanistan.  Nobody in their right mind is against finding and destroying terrorists, wherever they may hide.  The War on Terror is necessary, and gettting after any countries that support it is part of that.  But, we also need to present our best face with the situation.  

I think that removing Saddam Hussein from power might have been the best thing for all involved, in the long run.  In fact, I supported that part of the war.  What I donít like is that there was never a plan for running Iraq after he was out of power.  Doesnít seem to me like there was even a skeleton idea for an interim government.  It was all personal, Dubya was getting even for Iraq attempting to assassinate Bush Sr.  So now we have troops over there milling around, not accomplishing anything.  All they are doing is providing targets for car bombers.  Itís time to face the music and get our people out of there and give the country back to itís people.  Get this thing going while we still have a modicum of respect.  We did what we came there to do, now letís do right by those people.  After all, proving that Americans really are nice, caring people may change a few minds over there, and extremists may have fewer minds to work with.  

I donít pretend to know everything thatís going on in Iraq.  I only know what Iíve read and seen on the news, and can only give my perspective.  If Iím wrong, Iíll admit it.  No problem.  But what I see is a lot of inactivity and indecision, while a lot of people are dying needlessly.  Iím glad Iím an American, I may not always be the most patriotic guy, but I love my country as much as anyone.  But Iím smart enough to know that we canít save everybody.  I think weíre finding that out the hard way, as the Middle East comes apart around our ears.  Thousands of years of hatred and war do not just change because The U.S. of A. is over there kicking some butt.  Changing the hearts and minds of the Muslim world is going to take a long, long time, and military force is not the answer, in the long run we have to prove that what theyíve learned about us is wrong, and tanks are not the way to do it.  But like I said before, thatís just my opinion.    

Nothing to see here.

#2    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 26 November 2003 - 06:39 PM

Well, nobody's reading this one crying.gif   I think I'm gonna sit in the corner and cry.

Nothing to see here.

#3    gonzowalker

gonzowalker

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

• Many things in this life
    Are not what they appear
    Yeah, I look like a hare
    But if you stop and you stare
    I'm related to a deer

Posted 27 November 2003 - 01:48 AM

Snuffy, remember my cousin that I said looks like Eddie Munster? Now he's got it in his head that he's gonna' join the Army. I'm kickin' his little ass tomorrow after dinner. He picked a hell of a time to become patriotic, and we've already got one cousin to worry about in the army.

It's hard to kiss the lips at night That chew your *** out all day long. - The Notorious Cherry Bombs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users