Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 7 votes

If A Tree Falls In The Woods...

• Please log in to reply
577 replies to this topic

#511    marsapien

marsapien

Remote Viewer

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:53 AM

I was doing a search on Coens and to try and find another coen for you all and all I could come up with was the Coen brothers....I realized why cause I was spelling it wrong it is actually Koans.
Here is a link to understanding the meaning of Koans of zen budhhisim for those interested.

Edited by marsapien, 26 July 2009 - 02:54 AM.

#512    Number Fingers

Number Fingers

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:08 PM

Hey, I have another good one.

If an animal goes extinct and leaves no evidence of its existence, did it ever exist in the first place?

#513    trancelikestate

trancelikestate

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:14 PM

if a tree falls in the woods and noone is hear to hear it. NO it does not make a sound. it makes the vibrations and waves threw the air, but with noone there to perceive those vibrations as a "sound" they aren't a sound

#514    Marietta

Marietta

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:15 PM

More to the point would be: "If a tree falls in a forest and there is nobody there to hear (or see it) does the tree exist?
All of existence is created by light and sound but matter/tree is a different subject.  We exist in a  hologram which is merely a 3dimensional stage in which we have projected our consciousness to experience within.  
Science knows that all that truly exists is energy and that the only time energy takes on the forum of matter is when it is viewed/thought about.
Omni Love,Marietta

#515    trancelikestate

trancelikestate

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:06 AM

View PostMarietta, on Jul 29 2009, 06:15 PM, said:

More to the point would be: "If a tree falls in a forest and there is nobody there to hear (or see it) does the tree exist?
All of existence is created by light and sound but matter/tree is a different subject.  We exist in a  hologram which is merely a 3dimensional stage in which we have projected our consciousness to experience within.  
Science knows that all that truly exists is energy and that the only time energy takes on the forum of matter is when it is viewed/thought about.
Omni Love,Marietta

woe...

:|

#516    .i.

.i.

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:20 AM

View PostMarietta, on Jul 30 2009, 12:15 AM, said:

Omni Love,Marietta
Maybe it bouth falls and doesn't. Maybe it exists in a superposition of possibilities relative to those who are not watching and then decided when observed somehow, be it with your eyes or some other kind of information. :blink:

Posted Image

#517    Rhincewind

Rhincewind

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:12 PM

wow... 35 pages on the tree theory. That question has helpped me fall asleep so many times. This may have already been said but I know that If I read all of the posts I will nod off on my keyboard, but If no-one is around to hear it how can we tell if it makes a sound or not?

hope you find your answer soon.

who mentioned the quantum weather butterfly?

I am  a geneticly engineared lab mouse bent on taking over the world

#518    cheo_vl

cheo_vl

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

• "the oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:57 AM

see this is why i love philosophy, a question with no definite answer can ignite a 35 page long debate, here's another one, what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object? or, can god create a stone that is so heavy not even himself can lift it?

#519    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

• We are much more than we seem to be. :)

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:10 AM

View Postcheo_vl, on Aug 5 2009, 02:57 AM, said:

here's another one, what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?
Both cannot exist at the same time, for if there is an immovable object, then there would be no such thing as an unstoppable force and vice versa.

View Postcheo_vl, on Aug 5 2009, 02:57 AM, said:

or, can god create a stone that is so heavy not even himself can lift it?
Also known as the Omnipotence Paradox, for which possible answers are found here:

http://en.wikipedia....potence_paradox

Enjoy. :)

#520    cheo_vl

cheo_vl

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

• "the oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:10 AM

View PostHugh, on Aug 5 2009, 04:10 AM, said:

Both cannot exist at the same time, for if there is an immovable object, then there would be no such thing as an unstoppable force and vice versa.

Also known as the Omnipotence Paradox, for which possible answers are found here:

http://en.wikipedia....potence_paradox

Enjoy. :)

touché

#521    Byza

Byza

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

• Music is the strongest form of magic.

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:58 AM

Reality is perception. If sound is not perceived, sound is not a reality.

"You can't find the truth, you just pick the lie you like the best."

Marilyn Manson

#522    The Word of Thoth

The Word of Thoth

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:24 AM

There is no tree.....

without the act of observing the tree could fall or could not, could make a sound or could not... it is only when an object or energy is observed that it takes on solid form and does one thing or another. Without the observer there to witness the fall of the tree there simply is no tree.... and therefore no sound.

#523    The Word of Thoth

The Word of Thoth

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:31 AM

View PostMarietta, on 29 July 2009 - 11:15 PM, said:

Omni Love,Marietta

Absolutley spot on Marietta!!!!

#524    Zeteo

Zeteo

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 40 posts

• to seek in order to find

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:17 AM

View PostThe Word of Thoth, on 24 August 2010 - 10:31 AM, said:

Absolutley spot on Marietta!!!!

shhhhhhhhhhhh
the angels are singing can you hear them ?

Zeteo

#525    greggK

greggK

Poltergeist

• 2,756 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:06 PM

View PostMarietta, on 29 July 2009 - 11:15 PM, said:

Omni Love,Marietta

Marietta,

While it is true that we exist in a 3-D world, it is also true that we live in a separate dimension.  We are the 4th Dimension.  Do you think that we are the only creatures that can create?  Seems to me that any other creature that uses a tree for anything can create a tree.  Birds created trees for shelter and for food.  Every other creature started praising bird and gave bird the most lofty position because trees served all creatures.  All creatures learned how to make trees, but after awhile there were so many trees that they gave up the creation of trees and lived in them and got their food from them.  Along came the thief and the trees started disappearing.  Some fell here, some fell there, and the food was disappearing, and there was less shelter in this 3 dimensional world.  Where was it going?  The 4th dimension.  How do you feel when you see a ghost?  How would you feel if a group of ghosts started coming around you and all your buddies started disappearing?  Run, Run! But where?  All the shelter is gone!
If a tree falls in a forest and noone is around to hear it, does it still make a sound?  Probably not.

It is me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users