Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 7 votes

If A Tree Falls In The Woods...

• Please log in to reply
577 replies to this topic

#526    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

Only man to have fought Sasquatch. And lived...

• 15,163 posts

• ...highly unlikely, but not outside the realm of Extreme possibility.

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:27 PM

View PostFoolsMartyr, on 27 July 2009 - 11:08 PM, said:

Hey, I have another good one.

If an animal goes extinct and leaves no evidence of its existence, did it ever exist in the first place?

Im saying yes, because then you wouldnt even be talking about this animal in the first place, as you would have known about it despite it being extinct and leaving no fossil record.

the truth is out there....

#527    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

• 15,163 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:29 PM

View PostThe Word of Thoth, on 24 August 2010 - 10:24 AM, said:

There is no tree.....

without the act of observing the tree could fall or could not, could make a sound or could not... it is only when an object or energy is observed that it takes on solid form and does one thing or another. Without the observer there to witness the fall of the tree there simply is no tree.... and therefore no sound.

Too bad we KNOW that when something falls, it produces the energy of sound in which we are capable of picking up. However, we are now no longer in the range of that sound to hear it, but when you see the fallen tree you know it made a sound. It just wasnt loud enough for you to hear.
Its like asking: if a pin falls on a carpet, and you didnt hear it, does it make a sound? Well, yeah, obviously. You could get some seriously good mics and pic it up too, despite the fact your ears couldnt hear it.
Simple, the tree makes a sound.

#528    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

• 15,163 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:41 PM

View PostMarietta, on 29 July 2009 - 11:15 PM, said:

More to the point would be: "If a tree falls in a forest and there is nobody there to hear (or see it) does the tree exist?
All of existence is created by light and sound but matter/tree is a different subject.  We exist in a  hologram which is merely a 3dimensional stage in which we have projected our consciousness to experience within.  
Science knows that all that truly exists is energy and that the only time energy takes on the forum of matter is when it is viewed/thought about.
Omni Love,Marietta

All of existance is just light and sound, but matters Not Included there?
Our 3d environment that we know isnt a hologram. Its made of light, sound, and matter (which you just said is our whole existance), and our consciousness could be running through it i guess, in a physical body. Where does science say "energy is the form of matter only when its seen or thought about"?

#529    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,319 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:57 PM

if a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it it does make a sound.   just as if a tree fall on the moon  and someone was there to hear it it still does not make a sound.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#530    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

• 15,163 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:59 PM

View Postdanielost, on 24 August 2010 - 02:57 PM, said:

if a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it it does make a sound.   just as if a tree fall on the moon  and someone was there to hear it it still does not make a sound.

But, there is no sound on the moon. But, there is on earth as there is air for sound to carry. The sound from the tree carries fairly far (since it actually makes a sound), but no ones close enough to hear it.

#531    greggK

greggK

Poltergeist

• 2,756 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

That's right.  If you were down in the valley on the moon, you wouldn't hear the avalanche 'bout to overtake you.  You run at .00013 MPH and the avalanche is coming at you at .00413 MPH.  A slow crush.

And you wouldn't hear a thing.

Edited by greggK, 24 August 2010 - 03:39 PM.

It is me!

#532    greggK

greggK

Poltergeist

• 2,756 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:07 PM

View Postcheo_vl, on Aug 5 2009, 02:57 AM, said:
here's another one, what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?

Both cannot exist at the same time, for if there is an immovable object, then there would be no such thing as an unstoppable force and vice versa.

It would be nothing would happen; life would go on just as if neither one existed.  As soon as they met, they would cancel each other out.  Imagine it, though.  An unstoppable force goes plowing along and hits an immovable object.  Well, I guess it would be an irrevocable blur.

Edited by greggK, 24 August 2010 - 09:09 PM.

It is me!

#533    Black Hound

Black Hound

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

[color="#FF0000"]Oh my. is this a Zen question? How about the sound of one hand clapping? or reading the mind of the mindless? To say one understands "Zen" is a true indication they do not.Got several books here with all kinds of "Zen-like" sayings in them. The story of the satori bird and the wood cutter is the best.

#534    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:57 PM

Leave a tape recorder in the woods during a hurricane. Guaranteed we'll be hearing some trees falling.

#535    Finity

Finity

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:43 PM

View PostgreggK, on 24 August 2010 - 09:07 PM, said:

View Postcheo_vl, on Aug 5 2009, 02:57 AM, said:
here's another one, what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?

Both cannot exist at the same time, for if there is an immovable object, then there would be no such thing as an unstoppable force and vice versa.

It would be nothing would happen; life would go on just as if neither one existed.  As soon as they met, they would cancel each other out.  Imagine it, though.  An unstoppable force goes plowing along and hits an immovable object.  Well, I guess it would be an irrevocable blur.

It would create an infinite amount of heat energy, which would eventually destroy the entire universe :P

#536    jake50003

jake50003

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

Not to be rude but you guys are all wrong. Sound DOES MAKE a sound (scientifically speaking) because its the vibrations of the molecules of the medium, in this case, the tree is the medium. (Again, this is scientifically speaking). Now, sound does NOT make a sound if you use the regular definition of sound, which is... If sound is only sound that affects someone´s nervous system...in this case sound is NOT able to be heard.

In less words... it all depends what kind of DEFINITION you are using for sound. (There are TWO DEFINITIONS for sound) This is the most accurate answer scientists can give.

#537    Realm

Realm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

• "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
    Albert Einstein

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:18 AM

Anything capable of hearing will hear the tree fall if standing near it.
Gather 50 deaf people around it, and no they won't hear a thing.
Take everyone away when the tree falls, and the capacity to hear the tree still remains. (sound vibrations)
And anything capable of detecting those sound vibrations should be able to playback what a falling tree sounds
like when unobserved, based solely on the vibrations it gives off.

So, to answer the question, no a tree does not make noise when there is nothing to hear or observe it, however
the capacity to hear it remains, based on sound vibrations of any reciever.

Those that mistake my meekness for weakness, suddenly find themselves destroyed.

#538    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,500 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:36 AM

View Postjake50003, on 04 October 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

Not to be rude but you guys are all wrong. Sound DOES MAKE a sound (scientifically speaking) because its the vibrations of the molecules of the medium, in this case, the tree is the medium. (Again, this is scientifically speaking). Now, sound does NOT make a sound if you use the regular definition of sound, which is... If sound is only sound that affects someone´s nervous system...in this case sound is NOT able to be heard.

In less words... it all depends what kind of DEFINITION you are using for sound. (There are TWO DEFINITIONS for sound) This is the most accurate answer scientists can give.

Do you know you're replying to a two years old conversation?  :)

Welcome to UM!

#539    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,096 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

it's quite an interesting philosophological question though. The answer is, of course, that sound is caused by sound waves in the air which are detected by the ear of the recipient (or microphone). Therefore, the potential for sound is there, but it only actually manifests if there's someone within range to hear it. That, at least, is my theory.

:-O

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#540    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,066 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

Did the sun shine on the earth before it was seen, or felt, by a living thing?   Did meteorites and volcanoes make noise before life on earth ?
..  If it rains in the woods, and no "one"  is there, does the woods get wet ?   If the wind blows in the woods, and no "one" is there, do the leaves move?  If there is a forest fire and no "one" sees it,  does the woods burn?  If i put a dot •  < here  and  no one sees  it... it it still there?    ...  Yes, of course trees make sound when they fall.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users