Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Taos Hum

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Owlscrying

Owlscrying

• 13,909 posts

•    

Posted 03 March 2007 - 09:17 PM

Some residents and visitors in the small city of Taos, New Mexico, have for years been annoyed and puzzled by a mysterious and faint low-frequency hum in the desert air. Oddly, only about 2 percent of Taos residents report hearing the sound. Some believe it is caused by unusual acoustics; others suspect mass hysteria or some secret, sinister purpose. Whether described as a whir, hum, or buzz—and whether psychological, natural, or supernatural—no one has yet been able to locate the sound’s origin.  

http://www.livescience.com

#2    magnetar

magnetar

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 10:18 PM

Did not know about this. Thanks. The other day, I was reading about meteors, and the effects they can produce- especially particulate residue. I noticed an article on the accoustic reponses they can produce in the atmosphere. People occasionally hear a bolide explode, but I never considered other subtle effects.

As for me, I get instantly and uncomfortably quesey from low cycle sounds- automotive engines, helicopters, and boom-boom music. I hate bad music, anyway. tongue.gif

#3    NightWyvern

NightWyvern

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 03:19 AM

odd,never knew about that

#4    Clobhair-cean

Clobhair-cean

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 08:18 AM

I read into it while ago, and found this site, which gives a rather plausible  explanation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users