Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Real pain in a dream...

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1    dog soldier

dog soldier

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 180 posts

• Strive most to understand what you fear most

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:39 PM

Has anyone had this experience?  I know people dream they have died. But has anyone dreamed of being physically hurt and actually felt the pain?  I was once stabbed in my leg in a dream.  I was standing on a chair, and this person run up and stabbed me near my ankle.  I immediately felt the searing pain.  I saw the blood.  I woke up crying out in pain.  I was told it's not possible, but I believe.  Anyone else?

#2    Mabon

Mabon

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

• Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:45 PM

Hello dog soldier,
yes you can feel pain in dreams. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...p;dopt=Abstract

Mabon.

One need not be a chamber to be haunted;
One need not be a house;
The brain has corridors surpassing
Material place.  ~ Emily Dickinson

#3    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:28 PM

Yep.  Happened to me last night as a matter of fact.  I have been bitten in the same spot twice by a spider.  I don't currently have a bite there but in my dream I did and someone was touching it and I felt the pain.

Not the first time and I don't think it will be the last time.

#4    RedFFWolf

RedFFWolf

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:36 PM

I got stung by some weird mosquito-like creatures and that hurt, happened more than once aswell but with different things. I also get what I call "Breathing Dreams". In these, I feel myself unable to breathe in the dream and it's really scary. I don't automatically wake up either. I think I nearly died a few times cause of it... unsure.gif

#5    Lotus Flower

Lotus Flower

Alien Abducter

• 4,480 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:27 AM

I remember one of my dreams whereby somebody stuck a syringe in my thigh.  I remember it hurt, in fact when I awoke I was so convinced it was real that I was worried that whatever drugs had been in the syringe were actually really in my body when I was awake lol.

One crowded hour of glorious life, is worth an age without a name
Thomas Osbert Mordaunt

The only time you fail is when you haven't tried in the first place!

#6    Vice

Vice

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:52 AM

I remember one of my dreams whereby somebody stuck a syringe in my thigh.  I remember it hurt, in fact when I awoke I was so convinced it was real that I was worried that whatever drugs had been in the syringe were actually really in my body when I was awake lol.

Yes this has happened to me too. I had a dream that someone was trying to saw off my arm and I felt the pain. And when I awoke I felt a very extremely painful sharp pain across my arm.

#7    Ryo Ohki

Ryo Ohki

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:59 AM

I dreamed a dog bit my arm and then I woke up and my arm felt funny.

Heaven didnt want me and Hell thinks I will take over.

#8    my_psychosis

my_psychosis

Psychic spy

• 2,736 posts

• Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
    "Pigkiller"

Posted 09 March 2007 - 02:51 AM

I have had pain in dreams. For instance I dreamt once I got shot in the chest with a machine gun. When I woke up i couldnt breath and man did my chest hurt. After I calmed down though I was more concerned with who shot me. It was my big brother. I wonder what that means.  unsure.gif

Onomatopoeia. Well, that doesn't change the fact that it's a dumb word. I mean, you gotta wonder what was going on in the room the day they needed to make up that word.
Bridgette Dubois ( from TV's Medium)

#9    Jules22871

Jules22871

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:35 AM

Yeah, def possible. I have them all the time. I routinely incorporate my real pain into my dreams and most times it is bad enough to wake me.

Posted Image

#10    SunDogDayze

SunDogDayze

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 02:37 PM

Of course you can feel pain in dreams. Theres several reasons for it...

One might be that it isnt the DREAM thats causing pain, but the other way around. If you have a sudden muscle cramp in your sleep, you might dream someone is hurting you. Its the same thing as when a sound (like the phone or alarm clock) is incorporated into a dream. (alarm clock goes off but you dream its the buzzer at the end of a basketball game you singlehandedly won against an all star team of gerbils. in reality, your calf muscle spasms, and in your dream, the team captain gerbil runs up and slams you in the leg with a croquet bat.) In this case, you might still feel the cramp when you wake up, but in your sleepy state, attribute it to the thug gerbil basketball player.

Another possibility is that you physically do not feel the pain, but your mind tricks you into thinking you do. I mean, your brain tricks you every night, making you believe youre dreams are reality when you are in them (most of the time.)  Your sense of sight is fooled, when you are dreaming, into thinking that things you SEE are real, your sense of hearing is fooled into thinking you are HEARING something real. (Your brain THOUGHT you were seeing gerbils but you werent really, your brain THOUGHT you were hearing the sounds of the crowd cheering and the squeak of shoe soles on the floor, but you didnt hear them really. You thought you could feel the bat hit your calf and your leg hurt, but you didnt really.) Why would your brain not be able to fool your sense of touch and pain as well? So, you wake up and think you remember feeling pain, but its just your brain tricking you.

Im not saying these are the ONLY reasons you would feel pain in your sleep, but these reasons probably account for alot of examples.  happy.gif

Real Eyes
Realize
Real Lies

#11    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 09 March 2007 - 03:39 PM

^ Exactly.  Usually if I feel pain in a dream I wake up and there is real pain involved.  Usually with me a dog is asleep on one of my limbs.  Ouchies.

#12    my_psychosis

my_psychosis

Psychic spy

• 2,736 posts

• Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
    "Pigkiller"

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:56 PM

Of course you can feel pain in dreams. Theres several reasons for it...

One might be that it isnt the DREAM thats causing pain, but the other way around. If you have a sudden muscle cramp in your sleep, you might dream someone is hurting you. Its the same thing as when a sound (like the phone or alarm clock) is incorporated into a dream. (alarm clock goes off but you dream its the buzzer at the end of a basketball game you singlehandedly won against an all star team of gerbils. in reality, your calf muscle spasms, and in your dream, the team captain gerbil runs up and slams you in the leg with a croquet bat.) In this case, you might still feel the cramp when you wake up, but in your sleepy state, attribute it to the thug gerbil basketball player.

Another possibility is that you physically do not feel the pain, but your mind tricks you into thinking you do. I mean, your brain tricks you every night, making you believe youre dreams are reality when you are in them (most of the time.)  Your sense of sight is fooled, when you are dreaming, into thinking that things you SEE are real, your sense of hearing is fooled into thinking you are HEARING something real. (Your brain THOUGHT you were seeing gerbils but you werent really, your brain THOUGHT you were hearing the sounds of the crowd cheering and the squeak of shoe soles on the floor, but you didnt hear them really. You thought you could feel the bat hit your calf and your leg hurt, but you didnt really.) Why would your brain not be able to fool your sense of touch and pain as well? So, you wake up and think you remember feeling pain, but its just your brain tricking you.

Im not saying these are the ONLY reasons you would feel pain in your sleep, but these reasons probably account for alot of examples.  happy.gif

Da#$ them gerbils. They are tricky and quick little buggers. Not to mention poor losers. Anyway very good points SunDog.

Onomatopoeia. Well, that doesn't change the fact that it's a dumb word. I mean, you gotta wonder what was going on in the room the day they needed to make up that word.
Bridgette Dubois ( from TV's Medium)

#13    Lotus Flower

Lotus Flower

Alien Abducter

• 4,480 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 10:23 PM

^ Exactly.  Usually if I feel pain in a dream I wake up and there is real pain involved.  Usually with me a dog is asleep on one of my limbs.  Ouchies.

That's similar to when you lay on say, your arm all night, you awake, can't feel your arm and end up clouting yourself on the nose lol.  Trouble is, it feels like someone else has done it!

One crowded hour of glorious life, is worth an age without a name
Thomas Osbert Mordaunt

The only time you fail is when you haven't tried in the first place!

#14    Tia

Tia

The Naughty Angel.

• 6,280 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:42 AM

Yes I've had those dreams. I had one the other night where I was doubled up in pain only to wake to rush to the bathroom with a stomach bug. Sometimes it's laying in a funny position and getting a cramp which then translate to pain in your dream.

It makes sense though, people can have pleasure in their dreams and wake with the remnants of that, so why not pain?

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. Gandhi.
HEY I WON!

#15    Kalien

Kalien

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

• Meh.

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:27 PM

I feel pain and other sensations in my dreams all the time. A few nights ago I had a dream that we crashed into a tree (I just realized this was a night or two before my dad crashed into a tree on saturday, breaking his collarbone, lol) and I could feel my guts geting pulled and pushed around, hurt, sucked. And another night this week I dream of swallowing my hair and I tried pulling it out but it wouldnt come out ( I have very long hair) so I tried swallowing it and no go, woke up with the same feeling. Maybe I swallowed my hair :3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users