Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 5 votes

hidden chambers under the great sphinx

• Please log in to reply
754 replies to this topic

#46    The Gremlin

The Gremlin

Gnawing at the ankles of Falsehood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

• sniffing the finger of truth

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:22 PM

yay, at last this thread is becomming sensible.

I rarely talk about such things but I once shoveled 18 tons of material in 11 min-
utes. It was under ideal conditions which allowed use of the legs and gravity
but I know no one who could have matched it and I do know work
...Cladking
If you were a dragon wouldn't you rather eat fat, alocohol fill, Nordic giants, than stringy little Chinamen?   Draconic Chronicler.
You claim you do research and then disregard the fact the Pyramids were built by God, which is why no man-made computer can replicate it.  The Interpreter

#47    louie

louie

Alien Abducter

• 4,844 posts

• The greatest sceptics are normally the biggest sheep. Anon

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:29 PM

The egyptans have stated that the carving in front of the sphynx protraying the sphinx sitting on a room is a misconception. amd it really shows the sphinx on a pedestal as all gods and idols should be worship.. i dont know but its a pretty reasonible explnation

www.tmblive.com
If you dont know what it is, it must be art.

#48    The Gremlin

The Gremlin

Gnawing at the ankles of Falsehood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

• sniffing the finger of truth

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:38 PM

wink2.gif

I rarely talk about such things but I once shoveled 18 tons of material in 11 min-
utes. It was under ideal conditions which allowed use of the legs and gravity
but I know no one who could have matched it and I do know work
...Cladking
If you were a dragon wouldn't you rather eat fat, alocohol fill, Nordic giants, than stringy little Chinamen?   Draconic Chronicler.
You claim you do research and then disregard the fact the Pyramids were built by God, which is why no man-made computer can replicate it.  The Interpreter

#49    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence. He whose k

• 11,480 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:37 PM

Tell me about it.

Do you think theres any way that the angier you get in your posts, the faster your heart avatar beats? Maybe one day it'll just pop. That'll show 'em.

LOL.

Thinking of altering the .gif file to make it beat faster - maybe redder or squirting, and using that avatar for replies to posts like the one in question here!

The egyptans have stated that the carving in front of the sphynx protraying the sphinx sitting on a room is a misconception.

Considering that there never has existed any such carving as you describe it, I doubt very seriously that the "egyptans (double sic) have stated" anything at all about it, much less called it a misconception.

amd it really shows the sphinx on a pedestal as all gods and idols should be worship.. i dont know but its a pretty reasonible explnation

Since it doesn't exist, I doubt it "really shows" anything like this.

Lay off the mushrooms jack.

Harte

Posted Image
See the new Harte Mark III
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#50    louie

louie

Alien Abducter

• 4,844 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:30 PM

LOL.

Thinking of altering the .gif file to make it beat faster - maybe redder or squirting, and using that avatar for replies to posts like the one in question here!
Considering that there never has existed any such carving as you describe it, I doubt very seriously that the "egyptans (double sic) have stated" anything at all about it, much less called it a misconception.
Since it doesn't exist, I doubt it "really shows" anything like this.

Lay off the mushrooms jack.

Harte

Im very sorry to inform you.
I was watching a history program on monday night on terrestral TV about the theorys and realitys of the pyramids and the  sphinx, and  Dr. Zahi Hawass, chief of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, was standing beside it, its a large tablet stone with 2 sphinxs carved, he was showing the stone wich is directly in front of the sphynx and that was his explnation of it. then he took the guy and camera crew inside the Great pyramid and above the kings room are 5 rooms on top of each other ( attics if you will.) he took them up through them(wich have been closed to the public for some years now.) to the last one where he showed writing and measurement he maintains were made by the workers.
i think the name of the show was, mysteries of the pyramids. he also has a guy walking around the pyramids talking about Edgar cayace and the hidden room and other theorys. so the show was shown from both sides. im not saying i agree with the egyptans, but i was watching the show on tv
ok got that,
Do a background check before you make my posts look like lies.

Edited by louie, 29 March 2007 - 02:25 PM.

www.tmblive.com

#51    Harte

Harte

• 11,480 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:38 PM

Im very sorry to inform you.
I was watching a history program on monday night on terrestral TV about the theorys and realitys of the pyramids and the  sphinx, and  Dr. Zahi Hawass, chief of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, was standing beside it, its a large tablet stone with 2 sphinxs carved, he was showing the stone wich is directly in front of the sphynx and that was his explnation of it. then he took the guy and camera crew inside the Great pyramid and above the kings room are 5 rooms on top of each other ( attics if you will.) he took them up through them(wich have been closed to the public for some years now.) to the last one where he showed writing and measurement he maintains were made by the workers.
i think the name of the show was, mysteries of the pyramids. he also has a guy walking around the pyramids talking about Edgar cayace and the hidden room and other theorys. so the show was shown from both sides. im not saying i agree with the egyptans, but i was watching the show on tv
ok got that,
Do a background check before you make my posts look like lies.

Dear louie,

I'm aware of the tablet you think you're talking about.  It's called the Dream Stela.  I don't need to do any "background check" since I'm fully aware of anything this stela says that's pertinant to the Sphinx.

Perhaps you'd like to do a little check of your own.  Why not read what Zahi Hawass himself has written about this tablet you misremember:

Evidence for Thutmosis IV's campaign is preserved in the so-called dream Stele he erected between the two paws of the Sphinx in ca. 1400 BC. According to the story he inscribed in the Stella, prince Thutmosis went hunting in the Valley of Gazelles southeast of the Sphinx. The Sphinx spoke to him in a dream and asked the prince to free him from the sand. The Sphinx (Hor-em-Akht) offered in return the crown of Upper and Lower Egypt.

From this story we know that the Sphinx was buried up to its neck in sand by 1400 BC.

Source: HISTORY OF THE CONSERVATION OF THE SPHINX by Dr. Zahi Hawass

BTW, www.guardians.net is Hawass' website.

Here's what you said concerning this stela:

The egyptans have stated that the carving in front of the sphynx protraying the sphinx sitting on a room is a misconception. amd it really shows the sphinx on a pedestal as all gods and idols should be worship.. i dont know but its a pretty reasonible explnation

The Dream Stela doesn't portray the Sphinx at all.  Much less "sitting on a room" or "on a pedestal" like you seem to think.  The idea of a hidden chamber under this monument dates no further back than the early part of the twentieth century, it was dreamed up by Edgar Cayce, an itinerant mystic who even today is revered by mouth breathing idiots.

The Dream Stela tells a story.  That's it.  It's only description of the Sphinx itself is about how Tutmoses restored it after he fell asleep in the shade of the exposed portion of the monument (the Sphinx spoke to him in a dream asking him to restore it - thus the name "Dream Stela.")

Wasn't trying to make you look like a liar, I was pointing out that you had made yourself look like a fool.  Sorry, but there is a difference.

Harte

Posted Image
And the Mayan panoramas on my pyramid pajamas haven't helped my little problem. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Anybody like Coleridge?

#52    louie

louie

Alien Abducter

• 4,844 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:39 PM

Dear louie,

I'm aware of the tablet you think you're talking about.  It's called the Dream Stela.  I don't need to do any "background check" since I'm fully aware of anything this stela says that's pertinant to the Sphinx.

Perhaps you'd like to do a little check of your own.  Why not read what Zahi Hawass himself has written about this tablet you misremember:

Source: HISTORY OF THE CONSERVATION OF THE SPHINX by Dr. Zahi Hawass

BTW, www.guardians.net is Hawass' website.

Here's what you said concerning this stela:

The Dream Stela doesn't portray the Sphinx at all.  Much less "sitting on a room" or "on a pedestal" like you seem to think.  The idea of a hidden chamber under this monument dates no further back than the early part of the twentieth century, it was dreamed up by Edgar Cayce, an itinerant mystic who even today is revered by mouth breathing idiots.

The Dream Stela tells a story.  That's it.  It's only description of the Sphinx itself is about how Tutmoses restored it after he fell asleep in the shade of the exposed portion of the monument (the Sphinx spoke to him in a dream asking him to restore it - thus the name "Dream Stela.")

Wasn't trying to make you look like a liar, I was pointing out that you had made yourself look like a fool.  Sorry, but there is a difference.

Harte

Dude. the comments i made were taken directly from Zahi Hawass himself on the Tv program, standing beside the stone and that was his explnation, in not trying to make up storys, just relaying what he said on the show, personally id love there to be a room underneath, but this is what he said.
dont think for a moment im looking foolish on this, as the show is somewhere out there to be seen, search for it. ive seen it
i know what he said,
i dont care what side of the fence your on about this or how much knowledge you think you have or how much you cut an paste he said what he said.
maybe there is a huge cover up and he is tripping himself up on lies, i dont really know. but he gave that explnation on the show.
also the tablet he was standig beside actually has 2 sphynx on it he maintains 1 is the mortal sphinx and the other is the spirtual spinhx,, the Cayace guy says it shows there were 2 sphinxs, if its any help on the tablet 1 sphnyx faces left the other faces right.
he also stated adamently that the Egyptans and only the egyptans built the pyramids and as proof he brought the crew to graves of the workers where the graves were marked using stones that were used in the building of the pyramids.
BTW if you scroll about half way down the site you linked you can see tha tablet under the sphynx , with the 2 sphynxs carved on it.

Edited by louie, 30 March 2007 - 01:48 PM.

www.tmblive.com

#53    Harte

Harte

• 11,480 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:59 PM

Dude. the comments i made were taken directly from Zahi Hawass himself on the Tv program, standing beside the stone and that was his explnation, in not trying to make up storys, just relaying what he said on the show, personally id love there to be a room underneath, but this is what he said.
dont think for a moment im looking foolish on this, as the show is somewhere out there to be seen, search for it. ive seen it
i know what he said,

Apparently, you are talking about Hawass trying to shoot down some really "out there" idea about the sphinxes on the Dream Stela showing some underground room.

If this idea has ever been put forward by anyone, I'm not aware of it.

The Dream Steal was erected around 1400 BC. The artwork on the stela depicts Harmakhis, the god that the sphinx represents, and not the sphinx monument itself.  This is what I was trying to say when I stated that the tablet, as you described it, does not exist.  The Dream Stela does not depict the Sphinx monument.  Period.

Additionally, given that the stela was erected over or around a thousand years after the sphinx was carved, and the sphinx in that era was covered with sand from the neck down, I find it quite unlikely that Tutmose would be aware of any chamber or room under the sphinx, and so I also find it quite unlikely that any thinking person has ever proposed that the artwork on the Dream Stela, which depicts two sphinxes, a motif that was fairly common in Tutmose's day, indicates the existence of a secret room under the sphinx.

Now to revisit what you posted:

The Dream Stela does not portray the sphinx monument.  It portrays the god Harmakhis, who Tutmose credited with giving him the kingship of Egypt, though this story is extremely suspect.  It portrays Harmakhis in the usual manner for pictures of Harmakhis from that era.

So, then, what exactly is this a "pretty reasonable explanation" of, again?  If you didn't think the Dream Stela depicted the sphinx "sitting on a room," then what exactly are you trying to explain with this "pretty reasonable explanation"?

...maybe there is a huge cover up and he is tripping himself up on lies, i dont really know. but he gave that explnation on the show.

Perhaps Hawass has come across someone that believes the Dream Stela is some kind of illustration of the sphinx complex.  If so, I pity him.

...the Cayace guy says it shows there were 2 sphinxs, if its any help on the tablet 1 sphnyx faces left the other faces right.

Do you have a link or any information regarding this supposed claim by Cayce? It wouldn't surprise me if it were true, but I've never heard of him saying this based on the Dream Stela.  Makes sense though, Cayce was an unredeemable idiot.

For those that want to know, here's a somewhat clearer pic of the top of the Dream Stela - higher contrast probably because it's in black and white:
linked-image

Here's a drawing of the artwork as it appears across the top of the Stela:
linked-image

Both show somewhat common representations of the god Harmakhis.

...he also stated adamently that the Egyptans and only the egyptans built the pyramids and as proof he brought the crew to graves of the workers where the graves were marked using stones that were used in the building of the pyramids.

Did he get to the part about the graffiti left by the workers inside previously-sealed relief chambers located above the King's Chamber in the G.P.?

Harte

Edited by Harte, 30 March 2007 - 06:05 PM.

Posted Image
Anybody like Coleridge?

#54    Pax Unum

Pax Unum

< 420 Conspirator >

• 18,862 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:20 PM

Did he get to the part about the graffiti left by the workers inside previously-sealed relief chambers located above the King's Chamber in the G.P.?

Harte

wasn't some of the graffiti located where it could only have been made during the construction of the G.P.? just wondering

#55    Harte

Harte

• 11,480 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:47 PM

wasn't some of the graffiti located where it could only have been made during the construction of the G.P.?

Yes.

This graffitti mentions at least one of the gang names now known to be associated with the worker's village site.  The graffitti itself is usually dismissed as forgeries by pseudoscientists that want the pyramids to be much older.  Don't let them fool you.  While originally it was thought that the hieroglyphic style displayed by the graffitti was incorrect for the era it is attributed to, it was later discovered that it was the Egyptologists that were wrong, and not the hieroglyphic style, about what the style was for that era.

Oddly, this latter tidbit of information is seldom if ever revealed in the ravings produced by Hancock, Sitchen, Schoch, VonDaniken, Hoagland, Childress, Cremo, etc. etc. etc.  It would tend to put a kink in their cashflow.

Harte

Posted Image
Anybody like Coleridge?

#56    cladking

cladking

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,498 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:21 PM

The following is a post of mine to another thread.  It appears to
be relevant to this subject and to what might lie under this struc-
ture: (it will probably be deformatted since it's no longer possible
to copy it from the edit function)(it should still be readable)

I found what appears to be a much more scholarly work on water erosion
at the Sphinx.

The following is the link and some excerps;

http://www.hallofmaat.com/modules.php?name...icle&sid=93

"With regard to the location of the Sphinx, the fact that the degradation of the Sphinx enclosure is more intense in the west and, moreover, is restricted to the walls of the enclosure is highly significant.

Although arid conditions dominated during the dynastic period of Egyptian history, wetter periods are known to have been experienced up until as late as the end of the 5th Dynasty (OC approximately 2350 BC). [26] So, the rainy conditions of 5000 to 7000 BC, to which Schoch attributed the degradation of the Sphinx, were separated from the later arid conditions by a transitional phase which, between the Predynastic period and the end of the 5th Dynasty, was characterised by an increasingly arid climate interrupted by occasional, probably heavy, seasonal rains.

The Giza necropolis sits on a gently sloping limestone plateau, which falls from its highest point in the west (beyond the pyramid of Khafre) for a distance of over one and a half kilometres before reaching the former limit of Nile inundation (a short distance east of the Sphinx). With limited vegetation or sub-soil cover, sporadic heavy rainfall would have quickly saturated the fine grained limestones which form the surface of the plateau. Any excess water, unable to infiltrate through the saturated surface, would have been shed downslope as run-off. Although these rain-storms would have been of short duration, the momentum gained by run-off across an extensive catchment (such as that at Giza) must have produced surface flows capable of significant erosion.

The presence of a small wadi to the north of the Sphinx (as already discussed above) suggests that the area originally lay within part of the natural drainage system of the Giza plateau. This natural drainage system may actually have been modified by the excavation of the Sphinx but the extent of any such modification cannot be assessed with any certainty. However, the important issue is that the eastward sloping topography of the site, together with the orientation of the Sphinx enclosure and any effect the excavation of the Sphinx may have had on the local surface hydrology, is likely to have led to the discharge of run-off into the west part of the Sphinx enclosure, eroding the limestone along the exposed western enclosure walls and selectively exploiting any joints exposed along the cut face.

This rainfall run-off model is fully consistent with the distribution of the degradation which is present within the Sphinx enclosure. Not only would rainfall run-off lead to more intense degradation in the western part of the Sphinx enclosure but the less intense degradation elsewhere is also explained. Comparatively little run-off will have discharged over the exposed faces in the east of the enclosure and the body of the Sphinx generated little run-off itself as it was isolated from the plateau by the surrounding excavation of the Sphinx enclosure.  

So, the more intense degradation of the western walls of the Sphinx enclosure can be readily explained by the erosive potential of rainfall run-off. However, although erosion by run-off appears to offer the most likely explanation for observed features, it is important to give consideration to other processes in order to establish whether the degradation of the Sphinx enclosure could, perhaps, be explained in some other way.

Having already identified the problems associated with the wet sand hypothesis, I considered if there were any means by which chemical weathering and exfoliation may have led to the pattern of degradation which could be observed. The effects of chemical weathering could be modified in three ways:

(1) By certain exposures being protected from degradation by, for example, accumulations of wind blown sand. Under such a scenario, unprotected areas would be more heavily degraded;

(2) By variations in the intensity of chemical weathering itself, brought about by factors such as aspect (i.e. the orientation of an exposure with respect to the sun);

(3) By the effect of sand abrasion.

Given the dominant northerly wind direction and the easterly slope of the plateau, dry, windblown sand is most likely to start filling the Sphinx enclosure from the north and west, with the covering of windblown sand protecting the underlying exposures. The exposures which were the first to be covered with sand are therefore those in the west of the enclosure - which happen to be the most heavily degraded."

This dovetails with the flow of water from above at the site of the pyramids.

The water flowed naturally around a hard spot in the rock which was later to
become The Sphinx. The top of this rock was hard limestone which sat on softer
material which would become the neck. The causeway followed the original river
bed and deviated only enough to circumvent The Sphinx which was likely already
carved and somewhat old. Water flowed normally around this structure before and
after completion of the pyramids. The enclosure was heavily eroded by a steady
stream of water. This would flow only from July to September and only when it was
in excess.

Weathering is nearly non-existent on the east side of the enclosure because there
would have been a wide dam to retain water in this area for effect. The dam would
have taken all the wear.

Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

#57    Pax Unum

Pax Unum

< 420 Conspirator >

• 18,862 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:07 PM

Yes.

This graffitti mentions at least one of the gang names now known to be associated with the worker's village site.

Oddly, this latter tidbit of information is seldom if ever revealed in the ravings produced by Hancock, Sitchen, Schoch, VonDaniken, Hoagland, Childress, Cremo, etc. etc. etc.  It would tend to put a kink in their cashflow.

Harte

yeah, it would make it difficult to peddle the ancient astronaut/Atlantis etc. BS...  grin2.gif

One of the most compelling pieces of evidence we have is graffiti on ancient stone monuments in places that they didn't mean to be shown. Like on foundations when we dig down below the floor level, up in the relieving chambers above the King's chamber, and in many monuments of the Old Kingdom, temples, the Sun temples, other pyramids.

LINK-> Who Built the Pyramids?

Edited by Pax Unum, 30 March 2007 - 10:41 PM.

#58    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:27 AM

They never find anything interesting in chambers in the pyramids...it'll be the same for the Sphinx. Probably a sarcoughagas (sp?) or two and a few glyphs.

Unless you're really into sarcophagi and glyphs, then you're just totally jazzed, man. Totally jazzed. thumbsup.gif

Nothing to see here.

#59    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:31 AM

Yes.

This graffitti mentions at least one of the gang names now known to be associated with the worker's village site.

Yep, the Sharks and Jets were rumbling, even then.

Nothing to see here.

#60    louie

louie

Alien Abducter

• 4,844 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:51 AM

Yeah he brought them to the rooms over the kings chamber and showed the graffiti.
he also stated that the water erosion theory on the sphynx is only the opnion of 1 geoligst and he is incorrect.
he is very very agressive towards any theory that the pyramid or sphynx are not made by egyptans,
whatever did happen to the spynx nose.

www.tmblive.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users