Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Examining the Antikythera mechanism

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:56 AM

user posted image rThere may be nothing new under the sun after all. It's been more than two millennia since a large ship went down off the coast of the Greek island of Antikythera, and more than a century since a sponge diver discovered the ship's valuable cargo, which included bronze and marble statues, pottery, and glass and silver vases.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Archaeology.org

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    STIX

STIX

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

• The fact that threshold points exist and dictate matter suggests a pattern and layered geometry to the universe.

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:55 PM

wow that is really really cool

#3    Harriet The Ripperologist

Harriet The Ripperologist

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

• What is sacred? Of what is the soul made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer is love, only love.....

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:01 AM

Could it be an elabourate hoax? It sounds a little unlikely to me, but does anyone know anything else about it? huh.gif

Posted Image
And he began to have it in mind, as so many gentlemen had done before him, to marry a woman of fortune and condition. And, as such things so often happen, these thoughts closely coincided with his setting first sight upon a lady who will henceforth play a considerable part in the drama of his life....

#4    Thozzman

Thozzman

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:22 AM

There was a program on the Discovery channel about this a few nights ago. It's (according to some scientists) a device used to measure the time for different events i.e. planting seasons for particular crops, the vernal equinox, summer and winter solstice and so forth.
It's quite a piece of complex machinery.

To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond.
Hypatia

#5    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,738 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:14 PM

Isn't the Antikythera Mechanism dubbed as the world's oldest computer?

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users