Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How much would a Mastadon tooth be worth?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Am Boghadair

Am Boghadair

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 04:10 AM

Hello all,
This isn't exactly paranormal, but I was wondering if someone could answer a question for me. We found a giant tooth embedded in some gravelly soil under a few inches of water in Catoma Creek in Montgomery, Alabama. I took it to A.U.M. (Auburn Univ. at Montgomery) and asked an Archeologist about it. He took one look at it and told me it was a mastadon tooth, a molar, and to be exact an upper rear molar, showing me pics of the teeth in a skull. He said it could be as old as 9000 years old. My son pried and beat it till it came loose and pulled it straight up, its root embedded in the soil as if he was "pulling a tooth". This made me wonder if the skull is still under there laying upside down in the sedement??  
Anyway, I wonder how much something like that wold be worth, if anything? how could I check or find out what it would be worth.
Take care,
Dave/"Am Boghadair"

#2    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 28 November 2003 - 04:22 AM

Dave,

Didn't find much on a google search, but came up with this SITE which might help give you a rough idea of its value, depending on its condition. Seems you'd be better off going back to see if you could excavate more of the skeleton/fossil, as there is quite a bit more value to a complete skull.

Magikman

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#3    Am Boghadair

Am Boghadair

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 03:56 PM

Thanks Majikman,
I went there and bookmarked it. Neat site.

But you can't imagine what I did last night: I knocked it off the cabinet and it shattered into a million shards and powdery fragments. I should have treated it with something or coated it with varnish or something to keep it protected. I am just absolutly sick about it!!
Take care,
Dave, "Am Boghadair" (Scottish-Gaelic for "The Archer" or "Bowman").

#4    dennisruez

dennisruez

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:57 PM

We found a giant tooth embedded in some gravelly soil under a few inches of water in Catoma Creek in Montgomery, Alabama. I took it to A.U.M. (Auburn Univ. at Montgomery) and asked an Archeologist about it. He took one look at it and told me it was a mastadon tooth, a molar, and to be exact an upper rear molar, showing me pics of the teeth in a skull. He said it could be as old as 9000 years old.
Take care,
Dave/"Am Boghadair"

Archeologists don't study mastodons - you should take the tooth to a vertebrate paleontologist down the road in Auburn, where they actually do research on fossil mammals.  The age he gave you is wrong.  9000 years is the youngest it could be -- that's when they went extinct.

The rest of the skull is probably not there.  Skull pieces are thin and fragile, while teeth are the most durable part of any mammal.

#5    The Carnivore

The Carnivore

Therapsid

• 2,875 posts

• Once known as Sadistic Jellyfish of Doom.

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:37 PM

Well, my dad makes knives, and he uses mastadon ivory all the time. And were not really very wealthy...

ಠ_ಠ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users