Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Best time to send satellites to mars?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    Doom

Doom

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 78 posts

• I am your destiny of Doom

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:49 AM

When is the best time to send satellites to mars?

My minions are every where whatching your every move, in fact you are looking at this screen, I know your there.

#2    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,115 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:21 AM

When is the best time to send satellites to mars?

The  best conditions for going to Mars occur approximately every 26 months, when the 2 planets are at their closest.

The picture below shows the route taken by ESA's Mars Express after it's launch 0n 2nd June 2003.

user posted image
Credits: ESA 2003. Illustration by Medialab.

(Source: ESA - Mars Express)

The following launch window was in August 2005. This is when Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter was launched (12th August 2005 to be precise).

The next window will be in 2007. This is when NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander is due for launch. It is slated to launch in August 2007 (why there is only 24 months between MRO and PML instead of 26 I don't know).

The launch window after that will be September - October 2009. NASA intends to launch the Mars Science Laboratory rover in that window.

I hope this has been of some help.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 27 April 2006 - 01:23 AM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users