Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cats steal babies breath?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1    Lord Umbarger

Lord Umbarger

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,553 posts

• The propeller isn't there to move the plane through the air. It's there to keep the pilot cool. See how much he sweats when it stops running? (!)

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:00 AM

O.K., how about this one...

While I was visiting the in-laws yesterday, Mom-in-Law informed me that cats will climb into a crib with a baby and suck the breath out of a baby there by killing him/her. She followed it up with "They don't to it out of malice but, while they are sniffing the babies face, presumably looking for the source of smell of milk/formula, they inadvertantly cause the baby to sufficate".

With that, I was nearly in stitches. It was all I could do to hold that one in. Later, I found out that it is an old wives tale and that no where in the United States had a case of such ever been recorded. Not so much a mystery but, still a pretty entertaining story if you ask me.

To most people the sky is the limit, to those who fly, the sky is home.
If you don't have brains, you'd better have money!
The FAAs new motto,  "WE'RE not happy until YOU'RE not happy!"
http://www.facebook.com/ThePIRGpage

#2    RougeRat

RougeRat

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

• "Children are gifts from the Devil"

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:02 AM

So..somehow cats are putting their whole mouth over a babies mouth and suffocating them by sucking all the air out... Ok then! lol

I like big butts and I cannot lie Posted Image

#3    EmpressStarXVII

EmpressStarXVII

Government Agent

• 3,705 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:06 AM

Ooooh, I believed that when I was younger! One morning I woke up with my kitty sitting on my chest, just sitting there....starring at me >_>. It is an entertaining story though tongue.gif. I love those old wives tales.

Posted Image

#4    Exeter

Exeter

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

• He's always on my mind

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:14 AM

Wow, I hadn't heard this one in years. I'm surprised some people still believe in this old story. Here's a link:

Snopes

UFOs = weather balloons of the Gods.

#5    Pelican_Eel

Pelican_Eel

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:37 PM

ha ha, cats are EVIL

Who needs drugs when you have everything you need inside you?

#6    Ashley-Star*Child

Ashley-Star*Child

Alien Abducter

• 5,014 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:34 PM

I've also heard the ones about it being *dangerous* to have a cat while your pregnant (my parents believed this one and got rid of beautiful black green eyed cat because my mum was pregnant with my younger sister) and that if you swallow cats hair as a child it will make you walk with a limp or something. Really stupid. rolleyes.gif

Posted Image

#7    RedFFWolf

RedFFWolf

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 221 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:22 PM

If a white cat mews on your doorstep, you must prepare to get married
If spraks/ember from the fire lands on a cat, an earthquake is coming
Pass a black cat from 4:00a.m. to 7:00a.m., you will die before the day it out
And the list goes on...people give cats a really bad name by doing this, thankfully, these aren't believable.

#8    ASOP

ASOP

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:00 PM

Oh yea I remember that one the cats sucking the breath of life out of a baby???!!! PLEASE! Yea they got some good ones out there. w00t.gif

#9    obsidian_purple

obsidian_purple

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 39 posts

• question everything

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:31 PM

iF you take a closer look at this OWT there may be something to it, not in that cats are actually stealing a babies breath, but rather a cat can cause the death of a baby. If anyone has ever owned a cat, they know that cats love to cuddle and sleep in warm places; if there is a baby in the house, its crib/cradle is most likely to be the warmest place to sleep. People would dote over their babies, wrap them in balnkets and place theier cradles by the fire, an all to inviting place for a kitty. Many stories claimed that the cat was sitting/laying on the babies chest, stealing the breath from their mouth.

What was more lkely to be happening was that while the cat was on the baby it would in actuality be suffocating the baby by the shear weight of its body lying directly across the lungs. It is hard to breathe while something is across your chest, ever play dog pile and be the person on the bottom? Now consider that a babies lungs are not near as developed as an adult and the weight of the cat is enough to stop it from breathing.

Now there was a mention of cats being harmful to humans during pregnancy ...this is in fact a truth. There is a microscopic parasite that causes an infection in humans caused Toxoplasmosis. The parasites responsable for the infection is commonly found in cats, more so in its feces and can be contracted by nothing more than cleaning a litter box. If the mother contracts this infection during the pregnancy, it CAN be passed onto the unborn child and can cause a multitude of complications in the baby the most severe being: seizures, hearing loss, anemia, and mental retardation.

Toxoplasmosis infection is not limited to cats alone, it can be contracted from eating undercooked meat or from eating fruits and vegetables that have been grown in infected manure that have not thoroughly washed.

#10    ships-cat

ships-cat

Alien Abducter

• 5,122 posts

• ..it's all too confusing for the working Cat to understand.... :(

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:35 PM

Well, that one at least is understandable. Never mind "before the day is out"... if I was to pass a cat of ANY colour, even a small one, I'd probably die on the spot ohmy.gif

At the very LEAST, I wouldn't be able to sit down for WEEKS ohmy.gif

Meow Purr.

A cat stretches from one end of my childhood to the other.

#11    AngelDavies

AngelDavies

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

• "When I'm lying in my bed I think about life and I think about death and neither one particularly appeals to me. " -MORRISSEY

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:33 AM

My great grandmother and grandmother actually would tell my mother and uncles this they said it would actually happen in mexico, i personally dont like cats, but i dont think its true either but its such an old story that has been passed down from generation to generation that i dont even bother to test it!

"Everybody's Lost
But they're pretending they're not "
                                              - Morrissey.

#12    Lord Umbarger

Lord Umbarger

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,553 posts

• The propeller isn't there to move the plane through the air. It's there to keep the pilot cool. See how much he sweats when it stops running? (!)

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:17 AM

I personally dont like cats,
Well then, the weddings off angie!! You mean ole dog lover person, you! Ha-ha-ha!

There is a microscopic parasite that causes an infection in humans caused Toxoplasmosis. The parasites responsable for the infection is commonly found in cats, more so in its feces and can be contracted by nothing more than cleaning a litter box
Yep. my wife is a nurse and that's the data in her medical books. Pity me, I'm on perminant litterbox detail and we have SEVEN CATS!!!

I'd never thought about the weight of a full grown and well fed cat sitting on the warm chest of a newborn. That could very well cause suffication and be the genesis of the OWT.

What happens if you own the cat and pass him every night to go to the can? Heh-heh! If you own two of them, like I do, will you die twice as fast? HA-ha! I love OWT's.

To most people the sky is the limit, to those who fly, the sky is home.
If you don't have brains, you'd better have money!
The FAAs new motto,  "WE'RE not happy until YOU'RE not happy!"
http://www.facebook.com/ThePIRGpage

#13    asc.rudeboy

asc.rudeboy

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

• I WOULD RATHER DIE ON MY FEET THEN LIVE ON MY KNEES!

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:31 PM

yea ive heard that owt all my life, and i figured that yea a cat at one time or another lated on a baby and suficated them,,and kneeding like they do(that weird clawing thing) could have been takin the wrong way..but yea i still hear people say that

#14    Legatus Legionis

Legatus Legionis

Bellcross

• 3,177 posts

• Everything that the human race has done and thought is concerned with the satisfaction of deeply felt needs and the assuagement of pain

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:11 PM

ha ha, cats are EVIL

yep and i haven't heard cats board the Noah's Ark

#15    Tejina: Ex Arctic Elfie

Tejina: Ex Arctic Elfie

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Location:Used to be the arctic... now.. take your pic of realities

• Oooh Chibi game monsters! SCAWY!

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:26 AM

I don't believe the black cat rubbish.  I have two black cats (20 pounds each).

I totally believe they could kill someone by sleeping on them.  Taimat and Toes love sleeping curled up with me, and since I'm a tummy sleeper, Taimat sleeps on my back.  There's been a few nights I've woken up because I couldn't breathe because she was lying across my back in such a way that I wasn't able to get enough air in my lungs.

Didn't help that I had a cold at the time though.  I wouldn't trade my twin dragons for anything though.  Well... maybe a Tibetian Spaniel.  Those dogs are soooooooooooo cute!

yep and i haven't heard cats board the Noah's Ark

Huh... I thought Lions were taken on the Ark.  I'll have to reread that part of the Bible again now.  Man.... And there's so many words there... Nap time!

Edited by Tejina, 25 April 2007 - 04:29 AM.

Posted Image

Whoah... I finally got rid of the kittens?  PH and Nemy made by me.
My dolling site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users