Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why don't animals have birth defects?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1    truethat

truethat

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:32 PM

Just curious because I have rarely seen animals with birth defects.  Have any of you?  I mean I know they exist but I wonder why humans seem to have so many more than animals?

Any ideas?

#2    StoneAgeQueen

StoneAgeQueen

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:40 PM

My horse had two foals that were born really tiny. sad.gif Horses can't carry twins well, and they were just too small to survive.

Interesting topic though.. I'm not really sure why. I think a lot of defects are caused by chemicals we ingest through our food, pollution, drugs etc. But there are thousands of reasons why. Maybe the animals are just left to die, rather than save them, so we don't get to see or hear about the defected ones.

#3    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,445 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:41 PM

I suppose the simplistic answer is that our post-natal care of newborns means more babies, including those with defects, survive. Also we have no natural predators.

Animal newborn with birth defects would probably be among the first to be taken by either illness or predation.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#4    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:47 PM

Humans have advanced healthcare. We can keep our babies alive no matter what.
Animals have no healthcae. If they are born without the ability to survive because of birth defects, they will die.
There are just as many either way however. Topics are regularly posted on this board about animals born with defects.

#5    bornagainuhmanduh

bornagainuhmanduh

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:50 PM

I agree with Leonardo, at least for animals in nature.  Plus, many animals are born with birth defects but they are culled early on by humans.

"They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as the truth rather than truth as the authority."
Gerald Massey

www.peakoil.com

#6    Thozzman

Thozzman

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:52 PM

I've heard of and seen many animals with birth defects. Two headed cows, turtles, snakes and such.
I've seen calf's born with an extra pair of legs and somewhere in the forums someone made a post about a goat that was born with a deformed head. The title was "Goat born with head of bulldog".

To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond.
Hypatia

#7    truethat

truethat

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:54 PM

I'm not talking medically threatening illnesses but rather cranial deformities and missing limbs and whatnot.

I know dogs can have cleft pallet but its interesting to me that animals and insects basically all look the same.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?p...31-3-2007_pg9_9

Edited by truethat, 11 April 2007 - 05:55 PM.

#8    Legatus Legionis

Legatus Legionis

Bellcross

• 3,177 posts

• Everything that the human race has done and thought is concerned with the satisfaction of deeply felt needs and the assuagement of pain

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:00 PM

Just curious because I have rarely seen animals with birth defects.  Have any of you?  I mean I know they exist but I wonder why humans seem to have so many more than animals?

Any ideas?

because we tried to play with god's creation i guess. maybe we tried to be god and medle with life. maybe this is our punishment. maybe my thoughts are wrong.

Edited by Kretos, 11 April 2007 - 06:01 PM.

#9    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:02 PM

Well i think we all look the same to animals and insects too. grin2.gif

Humans have developed a wide array of personal appearances through evolution, we primarily use our sight to choose a mate. This is not the case with many animals, they choose mates based on different senses and genetics. So they don't need personal appearances.

I don't often hear about cases of human defects such as missing limbs and the like either though. Personally, i'd say I hear equally about both.

#10    Abecrombie

Abecrombie

I kid ,... Hey Vincent Price smoke a cigar !

• 2,395 posts

• " Barky Von Snauzer ! ,..Barky Von Snauzer !
    Barky Von ....For ..Me ..To ..PooP ..On ! "

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:11 PM

WE ALL DIE EVENTUALY AINT THAT A DEFFECT IN ITSELF,...?

Take a look at the the zombiedog on the left there, YAH ,.. I rest my case. lol

Edited by Abecrombie, 11 April 2007 - 06:13 PM.

Posted ImageZombiedog

#11    bornagainuhmanduh

bornagainuhmanduh

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:43 PM

I'm not talking medically threatening illnesses but rather cranial deformities and missing limbs and whatnot.

I know dogs can have cleft pallet but its interesting to me that animals and insects basically all look the same.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?p...31-3-2007_pg9_9

Tere is a great deal of variation among domesticated animals of the same species.  Also, I think the reason we know of so many deformities among humans is because we live in such a news based age of information.  Most people don't care enough about animals to notice.

It seems as though you are interested in wild animals, as you said they all look the same.  Really, if they are born with deformities they are killed pretty quickly by predators, or left behind.   I've found dead fawns in my yard before, with no apparent physical wounds.

I came across some feral kittens once, and one of them was rejected by the mother.  The kitten seemed fine, except it wasn't the same color as the other kittens.  There were only two other kittens besides this one.  This is interesting in that the more feral previously domesticated animals become, the more similar within their group they become, which makes sense in the big bad world as far as predators, environmental conditions, and recognition of their kind.

Even in pig litters, the runt usually doesn't get fed, and dies.  It works this way in the wild too.  Nature does a pretty thorough job.

It is probably from this process spanning the years.  Also again, we really can't keep track.  In the wild, it's taken care of pretty fast, and usually eaten quickly and scattered before the odd hiker could come across anything to even know.

Edited by uhmanduh, 11 April 2007 - 06:48 PM.

"They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as the truth rather than truth as the authority."
Gerald Massey

www.peakoil.com

#12    Moondoggy

Moondoggy

OZ

• 1,144 posts

• I'm your boogy man, that's what I am. I am here to do whatever I can...

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:42 AM

Any ideas?

Interesting topic. Shepherds and Rotties tend to have a genetic disposition to hip dysplasia. Maybe we just do not hear about as much as human defects.

#13    robbieb

robbieb

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:10 AM

animals often have abnormal babies the reason we dont see itm uch as compared to people is that people have develpoed ways for people with birth or congenital defects to survive where as in the wild animals in natrue born with life inhabiting defects die quickly or are abonded by the mother of picked off by preadators quickly so that the genes causing these defects die out or become far less common then in humans

#14    Atlantis Rises

Atlantis Rises

The Ancient

• 1,521 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:50 AM

I don't think we know that much about animal culture to know everything about them. Unlike humans, animals do not exhibit the same sanctity for life as we have - or perhaps, phrasing it in a better manner - they know more than we know they do? We allow our babies to grow up living with birth defects because we can't bare to let them die without knowing life. Animals might save their young that adversity and abandon them, allowing them to die quickly without the pain and anguish such a life would provide. There have been many animals documented that show birth defects, but how long they live is a mystery. We don't parade them around in a circus like we once did, so we don't really know. We exist as a society that shuns away from the sick and lame. We have become a society of the perfect fantastic utopia. Whatever doesn't fit our idea of normal we bury it hoping it will be forgotten. But abnormalities happen every day -- just not every one gets its 15 minutes of fame on the news.

History is like Time - it always repeats itself.

#15    aussiemermaid

aussiemermaid

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:07 AM

We see humans everyday, we interact with humans everyday, we hear about human defects everyday.
How many animal species are there??? Millions
So they all have genetic varieties, like us humans, but animals dont have the communication we do. We hear about those amazing stories from 3rd world countries where the doctors go to help the deformed and what not. But we dont know when an aniamal is born with a defect.

There are two headed snakes and turtles, dogs born with only 3 legs, and of course Nemo with his little fin!
There are flies born with "red" eyes that cant reproduce (a fruit fly species or something i think)

Human life is regarded higher than animal life, so is looked at more thoroughly.

Its the fact its not publisied.

Edited by aussiemermaid, 12 April 2007 - 03:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users