Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Gliese 581c - Habitable ExoPlanet Found!

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16    money=power

money=power

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:40 PM

imagine getting there and its full of liberals ohmy.gif

#17    Bill Hill

Bill Hill

Marshal Law

• 9,938 posts

• If I had my own world
    I'd build you an empire
    From here to the far lands
    To spread love like violence

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:47 PM

laugh.gif yeah, liberals and muslims...bah humbug..
ere where's me spaceship..sniff..

Posted Image
Something in your heart, feel like someThing nEw.

#18    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

♔ Queen

• 8,491 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:51 PM

You know what. If this planet is "Earth" like. When/if the planet changes & it won't support life anymore. This planet is where we are headed. The thing just popped up in my head.

#19    IronGhost

IronGhost

Government Agent

• 3,432 posts

• "DON'T TAZE ME, BRO!"

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:24 PM

imagine getting there and its full of liberals ohmy.gif

I've been to this planet using the process of Astral Travel.  

I am glad to report there are A LOT OF LIBERALS on the planet, and thus is is free of industrial pollution, and global warming is not a problem.  The environment is clean and green. There are also no guns, everyone is safe, and 90 percent of the wealth is not owned by 1 percent of the population.  On this planet filled with Liberals, science is taught in the classrooms, and fairy tails about floods and magic talking snakes are not allowed to be taught as science in the schools. There are no illegal wars based on false intelligence.  Some of the creatures who have a slightly different sexual orientation from the majority are not perscuted and threatened with constant eternal damnation.  On this liberal planet, female creatures earn the same amount of money as male creatures.

Now I will report on the physical aspects of the planet:

There are tangerine trees

There are marmalade skies

The females creatures on the planet have kaleidoscope eyes.

There are many flowers on  the planet -- they look like cellophane  are yellow and green, and tower over your head.  When you drift past these flowers, everyone smiles at you.

There is another race on the planet that are called rocking horse people.  Their favorite food is marshmellow pie.

The creatures of the planet travel around in newspaper taxis, which may appear on the shore at any time. When you climb in, you'll be off and your head will soon be in the clouds.

In short, this is a wonderful amazing planet, filled with happy liberals. Living in a clean evironmment, with no global warming, no poverty, no demand that every one carry a gun, and when someone earns a billion dollars, the government does not give them extra tax breaks to make them even richer, just for the hell of it.

www.ironghost.wordpress.com

#20    Lord Umbarger

Lord Umbarger

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,553 posts

• The propeller isn't there to move the plane through the air. It's there to keep the pilot cool. See how much he sweats when it stops running? (!)

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:29 AM

I am glad to report there are A LOT OF LIBERALS on the planet
Oh, so none of the people there will fight against highly developed cultures and technicalogically advanced aliens for their own survival? Sounds like they are ripe for the plucking! Did it ever occur to you that they COULD be like Klingons or Chiggs? Load up boys and fix bayonnets, all that target practice just might pay off!

The females creatures on the planet have kaleidoscope eyes.
There are many flowers on the planet -- they look like cellophane are yellow and green, and tower over your head. When you drift past these flowers, everyone smiles at you.
There is another race on the planet that are called rocking horse people. Their favorite food is marshmellow pie.
The creatures of the planet travel around in newspaper taxis, which may appear on the shore at any time. When you climb in, you'll be off and your head will soon be in the clouds.
So, you are saying that they are drugged-out hippies then? Are these your run of the mill hippies or the Manson type hippies? Just wondering if I need to pack twenty bullets or twenty one.

From what I gather, the star system is far older than ours. In all likelihood, any thing that we would recognise as "life" has probably either evolved past our level of understanding or has killed itself out. (Google: "Drake Equation"). It's probably either so full of radiation that you could cook microwave popcorn on the ground at night or populated by something so advanced that they would view us as ants.

Kind of a moot point actually though. 20 light years? If we could move at the exact speed of light, and I left today, when I got there I'd be fifty-three years, and 22 days old. Not your average age for planetary colonization, huh?

Last edit to this post. I promise!

The planet is 193 trillion Kilometres from Earth. It would take our fastest probe, (Voyagers I & II, fastest to date anyway), around two million years to get there, right?

Look on the bright side, maybe it's a world full of gun nuts and hence, have the same crime rate as Kennisaw, Georgia! Maybe even a few hunters!

Edited by Lord Umbarger, 26 April 2007 - 02:58 AM.

To most people the sky is the limit, to those who fly, the sky is home.
If you don't have brains, you'd better have money!
The FAAs new motto,  "WE'RE not happy until YOU'RE not happy!"
http://www.facebook.com/ThePIRGpage

#21    sede-x-teh-bomb

sede-x-teh-bomb

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

• formaly known as zombie jesus

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:31 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6589157.stm?ls

finally.. we can start again..

this time without that ***SNIP*** religion around to stuff everything up

now just gotta figure out how to get there

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 26 April 2007 - 12:14 PM.
do not attempt to get around the language filters!

LOL

#22    Solitaia

Solitaia

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:38 AM

Ah, i saw this on the news. very exciting info!

Too bad its 20 light years away.... -_-

Very interesting, thou!

-Solitaia.

#23    Jjbreen

Jjbreen

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,868 posts

• Time is the teller of all tales great and small.

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:40 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6589157.stm?ls

finally.. we can start again..

this time without that ***SNIP*** religion around to stuff everything up

now just gotta figure out how to get there

Umm - Not going to happen, sorry dude. We know next to nothing about this planet. We know it's aprox. size, mass and rotation period. One year there = 13 days. Other than that - we are not even sure if it has life, plants or anything else. We only know that it exists.

So wouldn't just pack the bags yet. Remember the Old Star Trek Episode about Looking for "Eden" - they found it but everything on the planet was acid based and killed the people seeking it. They didn't take the time to 'check it out' first. They just JUMPED to their deaths.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 26 April 2007 - 12:15 PM.
edit quote

#24    Razer

Razer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:32 AM

It is really nice that we finally know there is an Earth like planet out there.  Of course we can't actually travel there in our lifetimes, but the fact that is there is just amazing to me.  I always felt Earth like planets were out so this news just made my day.

#25    Bulldog1974

Bulldog1974

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:15 PM

check my post on the Main Page, please... yes.gif

#26    Lord Umbarger

Lord Umbarger

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,553 posts

• The propeller isn't there to move the plane through the air. It's there to keep the pilot cool. See how much he sweats when it stops running? (!)

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:28 AM

It's a shame that we have to wait until 2020 before they put the new deep space telescope into orbit. It wouldn't answer all the questions but, it might answer a few of them. What I'd really like to know is rather the surface temperture is regulated by moving winds and oceans or if it's only habitable around the terminator zone. I know the one big question is "Is there life there?" but, I seriously doubt that an orbiting telescope here around Earth would ever be able to tell us that.

To most people the sky is the limit, to those who fly, the sky is home.
If you don't have brains, you'd better have money!
The FAAs new motto,  "WE'RE not happy until YOU'RE not happy!"
http://www.facebook.com/ThePIRGpage

#27    Owlscrying

Owlscrying

• 13,909 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:07 AM

May 17

For the first time, astronomers have discovered a planet far, far away that might be similar to Earth. This distant world, which pirouettes around a dim bulb of a star with the unglamorous name Gliese 581, may possibly sport a landscape that would be vaguely familiar to us a panorama of liquid oceans and drifting continents. If so, there's the chance that it's a home to life perhaps even advanced life.

It's different mostly because it's small. Nearly all the earlier discoveries were of massive worlds, lumbering giants comparable to Jupiter or Saturn. Such behemoths are likely to be buried in thick and toxic atmospheres, and seem ill-suited for supporting life.

However, by measuring the motions of bantam stars, such as the red dwarf Gliese 581, it's possible to uncover lighter-weight worlds, since detectability depends on the ratio of stellar to planetary mass. Gliese 581c, as the new find is called, is the smallest yet discovered around a normal star, a mere 50 percent larger across than Earth. This diminutive size suggests (but does not prove) that it's a rocky world, like Venus, Earth or Mars.

In another stroke of luck, it turns out that this planet is likely to be - at just the right temperature. Unlike Earth, it hugs Gliese 581 with a tight grip. It's five times closer to its runty star than Mercury is to our Sun. On the other hand, Gliese 581 is only a few percent as luminous as the Sun. These two factors roughly cancel, and a simple calculation suggests an average temperature similar to the temperate zones of Earth.

A planet this close to its stellar master will most likely be tidally locked, with one side always facing its sun, and the other side perpetually turned toward the cold darkness of space. But computer models have suggested that if such a world has an atmosphere, strong winds will distribute the heat of the sunny hemisphere around the planet. There should be a belt of moderate temperatures somewhere near the twilight ring between light and dark. This idea has received a bit of confirmation from recent infrared measures of another newly discovered planet, a tidally locked world named HD 189733b. This gas giant seems to show a moderating of the temperature difference between its light and dark sides due to high-speed winds.

The bottom line is exciting. Out of the hundreds of planets so far uncovered around other stars, Gliese 581c is the best candidate for habitation. It could conceivably boast such terrestrial amenities as liquid oceans, a benign atmosphere, and plate tectonics to churn metal ore close to the surface, useful for any advanced beings with a penchant for technology.

Gliese 581 is, as astronomical distances go, relatively close: only 20 light-years away. It's one of the few star systems which, if inhabited, might provoke conversation. A simple exchange, along the lines of "how are you?" followed by "fine, and you?" would require a mere four decades. Tedious, but not unthinkable.

However, irrespective of whether the world orbiting Gliese 581 is host to chatty beings or not, its discovery is highly suggestive. In the mid-twentieth century, astronomers debated whether planets were extraordinarily rare or as common as crickets. We now know the latter is true, and the number of planets in our own galaxy could easily tally in the hundreds of billions.

go

Edited by owlscrying, 18 May 2007 - 10:12 AM.

#28    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,575 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:06 AM

Above post merged into existing thread.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#29    Erikl

Erikl

Alien Abducter

• 4,524 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:23 AM

Actually, 20 ly is right around the corner... think about it... if we manage to build a probe that can travel at say 50% of the speed of light, it'll reach there in 40 years... not that long IMO (about one generation waiting period). Problem would be to get the information from it... it'll take 20 years for every broadcast to reach earth.

*sigh*... we must find a way to at least communicate faster than the speed of light... or hope that a planet like this would be discovered in circling Alpha Centauri tongue.gif....

Posted Image

"We live in a world where when Christians kill Muslims, it's a crusade; When Jews kill Muslims, it's a massacre; When Muslims kill Muslims, it's the weather channel. Nobody cares"

#30    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,575 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:22 AM

if we manage to build a probe that can travel at say 50% of the speed of light, it'll reach there in 40 years...

That is a huge if. With current technology we haven't even managed 0.01% light speed. It would take us 100,000 years to get their. We have a lot to discover before we can think of 20ly as "right around the corner".

*sigh*... we must find a way to at least communicate faster than the speed of light...

An even bigger if. It would involve a whole new set of discoveries in physics to replace Relativity. If Relativity is correct then such communication will remain impossible no matter how much we want it.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users