Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Texas Size Patch of Trash Floating in Pacific

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16    Reincarnated

Reincarnated

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:47 AM

Not just littering but USING.   Think about your Dunkin Donuts cups.   How many do you get a week, a month a year?

Thats a lot of garbage in the end and its only one item of garbage.
True, you really can't blame littering for this. It's a side effect of the human population growth on this planet. I think this goes to show that human influenced climate change isn't such a far-fetched idea.

#17    Jim88

Jim88

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

• Knowing you don't know is superior. Not knowing you don't know is a sickness.

Tao Te Ching

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:11 AM

i know this is just one drop in the bucket in comparassion to all the debrie we produce on a daily basis...i visit our local "land-fill" often and it is exactly what it is labeled as land fill...all this trash ppl produce and dispose of on a daily basis is amazing ...where are we gonna put all this garbage at when we run outta filling space...almost everyone on this planet has some sort of trash pick up..yeah its picked up an put in a "proper' faclity but is it really safe for the land and animals that consume this stuff...couldnt imagine all the trash in the waters.. angry.gif its  always been talked about since i can remember but nothing has ever been done with it...and now its as if there is no way of controlling it there is more than can be handled...i really had no idea that it was this bad untill i saw that pic...maybe more pics should be produced to the public to bring it to acknowledgement..i dunno justa thought...

What do you do with all the garbage people generate if you don't put it in landfills? Ships at sea can't keep all their garbage on board the ship. It isn't sanitary, so they dump it in the ocean.

If somebody could get people to stop using disposable items and get companies to reduce the amount of packaging on products then they could reduce the amount of garbage. It wouldn't eliminate garbage though. Recycling helps reduce the amount of garbage being put into landfills. Some people are trying to reduce the amount of garbage being generated.

1. Not to value and employ men of superior ability is the way to keep the people from rivalry among themselves; not to prize articles which are difficult to procure is the way to keep them from becoming thieves; not to show them what is likely to excite their desires is the way to keep their minds from disorder.

Tao Te Ching

#18    jesspy

jesspy

Full of Wisdumb

• 8,109 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:01 AM

wow this is just awful

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.

#19    Mr Slayer

Mr Slayer

Stay SLA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:43 AM

This is just another result of our linear thinking:

Produce --> Use --> Throw --> Forget

#20    jesspy

jesspy

Full of Wisdumb

• 8,109 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:01 AM

Produce --> Use --> Throw --> Forget

--> Choke on plastic

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.

#21    Reincarnated

Reincarnated

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 03:17 PM

I'm waiting for one of the hard core believers in climate change has nothing to do with humans to pop up and say this is a natural cycle that the earth goes through LOL
Lol, I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

#22    Sun Raven

Sun Raven

Alpha & Omega

• 1,638 posts

• I am the master of my fate.
    I am the captain of my soul

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:15 PM

Anybody thought of recycling?

Posted Image

Sun Raven

#23    sirfiroth

sirfiroth

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:34 AM

It is a shame and a moral outrage this has to happen.

I know from long years of sailing that the providers of this trash are only following the international laws regarding dumping at sea.
So maybe it is time to change the international laws.

We live in a disposable world. The truth is mankind as a group, has never demonstrated the ability to engage in terminal reasoning. That is thinking a problem through from start to finnish.
Thus far mankind has demonstrated only the ability to shift responsibility from one to another.

On the bright side Nature is it's infinite wisdom has gathered all of our debris in a location that would be an excellent location for several Giant Recycling Plants. An endeavor that could prove to be profitable for the right company.

If we truly want to clean up our enviornment it is imperative that we all assume responsibility for doing, not just talking, about it.

Will you remember this in one week? one month? one year?

#24    ~sYMBIONt~

~sYMBIONt~

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

• "People have to follow their hearts, and if their hearts lead them to Wal-Mart, so be it."

-Maynard James Keenan

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:00 AM

and people wonder why i hate humans disgust.gif

#25    greggK

greggK

Poltergeist

• 2,756 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:41 PM

Here is a good video on Google explaining plastic pollution and the The Great Pacific Garbage Patch; http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3892310789953943147

That is an amazing film!

The one thing that sticks out in my mind is the creatures of the ocean go down to the depths during the day and come to the surface at night to feed on the daily growth of the plankton.  In this, there is judgement.  We as a collective people have absolutely failed in our care of this planet.

It is me!

#26    Skim Milky

Skim Milky

I Want to Believe...

• 1,606 posts

• Xbox Live: SkimMilky Smith

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:45 AM

my god,  what are we doing to our world?

i dont think people realize how blessed we are for our world to even exist.

#27    Reincarnated

Reincarnated

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:34 PM

my god,  what are we doing to our world?

i dont think people realize how blessed we are for our world to even exist.
I know hmm.gif

What is even worse is that our gov't is trying to keep it's citizens ignorant of the tremendous impact we have upon our environment. For the most part it is working well. After all of the papers and projects I have done on pollution, I have only recently heard of this garbage patch. No wonder why action against global warming is taking soo long, look at all of the people on these forums who still think it's a myth! It's sad and pathetic.  sad.gif

#28    Isis2200

Isis2200

Psychic Spy

• 1,527 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:00 PM

The photodegraded plastic can attract pollutants such as PCBs. The floating particles also resemble zooplankton, which can lead to them being consumed by jellyfish, thus entering the ocean food chain. In samples taken from the gyre in 2001, the mass of plastic exceeded that of zooplankton (the dominant animalian life in the area) by six times.

Ever hear that old saying "You are what you eat"?   I believe there will come a time when all seafood will be 100%  non-consumable by humans.  hmm.gif

linked-image

#29    chemical-licker

chemical-licker

Omnipotent Entity

• Banned
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:54 PM

http://www.bestlifeonline.com/cms/publish/...ic_are_we.shtml

A vast swath of the Pacific, twice the size of Texas, is full of a plastic stew that is entering the food chain. Scientists say these toxins are causing obesity, infertility...and worse.

Fate can take strange forms, and so perhaps it does not seem unusual that Captain Charles Moore found his life’s purpose in a nightmare. Unfortunately, he was awake at the time, and 800 miles north of Hawaii in the Pacific Ocean.

It happened on August 3, 1997, a lovely day, at least in the beginning: Sunny. Little wind. Water the color of sapphires. Moore and the crew of Alguita, his 50-foot aluminum-hulled catamaran, sliced through the sea.

Returning to Southern California from Hawaii after a sailing race, Moore had altered Alguita’s course, veering slightly north. He had the time and the curiosity to try a new route, one that would lead the vessel through the eastern corner of a 10-million-square-mile oval known as the North Pacific subtropical gyre. This was an odd stretch of ocean, a place most boats purposely avoided. For one thing, it was becalmed. “The doldrums,” sailors called it, and they steered clear. So did the ocean’s top predators: the tuna, sharks, and other large fish that required livelier waters, flush with prey. The gyre was more like a desert—a slow, deep, clockwise-swirling vortex of air and water caused by a mountain of high-pressure air that lingered above it.

#30    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:59 PM

Orlynow

*chuckles*

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users