Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Time Travel Into The Future

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16    Lotus Flower

Lotus Flower

Alien Abducter

• 4,480 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:12 PM

Have you read 'Lightning' by Dean Koontz?  It deals with changing history.

Quite interesting, either way.

Now that was one interesting book!!!

It was the first Dean Koontz book I ever read and I had to buy more and more, his stories really intrigue me lol.

One crowded hour of glorious life, is worth an age without a name
Thomas Osbert Mordaunt

The only time you fail is when you haven't tried in the first place!

#17    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,760 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:56 PM

As exciting as time travel might be there is a problem with the whole concept. The Earth moves its own diameter through space in about six minutes. Going back or forward more then that would put you in space. And if you went further, lets say 300 years or so, well, then our entire solar system wouldnt be were it was when you left, as it rotates around the milky way.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#18    Captain Kolak

Captain Kolak

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 117 posts

• Do you really want to be decieved by your stupidity?

Posted 03 June 2007 - 12:12 AM

About the topic of this thread, time travel is impossible. Because there is no absolute time. You can go ahead in different time zones by moving into another one that moves slower (travelling near the speed of light or near a very strong source of gravity). But that is not time travel, because it is impossible.

Edited by Captain Kolak, 03 June 2007 - 12:12 AM.

Saying that gaps in the fossil record invalidate evolution is much like saying time doesn't exist between ticks of your digital watch

#19    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,827 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:43 AM

In a sense you are right, Captain Kolak.  My hypothetical space ship is not traveling into the future, the rate of time on the ship is just ticking slower in its refrence frame than the rate of time elapsing on earth in its refrence frame.  This is not real time travel, as you stated.  Thanks for your comment.  I think true time travel seems to be an impossibility, at least on the macroscopic level in our universe.   However, I also think there is still the possibility for real time travel, simply because we don't as yet have a complete understanding of the physics of the universe.

Edited by StarMountainKid, 03 June 2007 - 02:44 AM.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
To see reality loose your opinions.

#20    Captain Kolak

Captain Kolak

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:48 PM

Hmm... i don't know why but I always ask myself why people believe in time travel if we do not believe in absolute time. All time is, is a measurement. The measuring of a certain amount of vibrations of a certain atom. And it is the same everywere in the universe. Unless you view it from a distance under different conditions. You may think that what I am saying is a bit of topic but it means something.

Saying that gaps in the fossil record invalidate evolution is much like saying time doesn't exist between ticks of your digital watch

#21    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 10,452 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:38 PM

You'd have to get way, way closer to c than "90%" for that ratio of time dilation - 6mo=200 years.

The pertinant equations, which are surprisingly easy to use, can easily be found online.

In the meantime, the mass of your spaceship would be increasing exponentially, similar to the time dilation ratio.  (The mass equation is right there on any website that gives you the time dilation one.  It's also very easy to use.) You'd have an extremely hard time even approaching the necessary speed for the 2mo=200 year differential due to your immense mass.

Maybe if you stayed at it for a year (1 year=200 years) you might be able to do it.  But I seriously doubt it.  Much more likely you'd end up a couple of days in the future.  So on Wednesday, if you can't wait for the next Stargate episode, then this would be an alternative.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Anybody like Coleridge?

#22    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,827 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 03:35 AM

Thanks for your reply, Harte.  I probably should have been more precise as to the speed of the ship and the difference in time elapsed, but I was mainly trying to get the idea across.  For 200 years to have elapsed on earth the ship would have to travel at .9999% c for about 6 months, according to my calculations.  And yes the mass of the ship would increase greatly and the energy required would be enormous.

Also the acceleration of the ship would have to be kept to 1g which is an acceleration of 9.8ms^2 in order for its occupants to feel comfortable.  How long would it take at this rate of acceleration to reach .9999 c ?  I don't know off-hand, but perhaps a matter--anti-matter drive would supply the required energy.  Well, perhaps some future technology will be developed to make all this possible.

#23    Captain Kolak

Captain Kolak

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 01:08 AM

What about Alcubierre drive?

No time dialation whatsoever.

#24    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,827 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 03:36 AM

Nice idea, Captain Kolak.   Or, by using a Krasnikov Tube.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krasnikov_Tube

#25    matt1

matt1

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 01:46 PM

Hi there firstly Id like to travel into the future and see what humans have achiveled secondly I think that one day time travel may be possible maybe in the next 20 to 30 years, because scientists are leanring that time is not constant and have proven this in a experiment involving two wrist watches both set to the exact same time 1 person travels around the world once in an airplane crossing 12 time zones. Whe the other person looks at the watches the one that was on the ground was 2 days ahead of the other watch.

look at the following website it goes into alot more detail:

http://www.lifesci.sussex.ac.uk/home/John_...ime_Travel.html

I hope that this information is of use

Edited by matt1, 07 June 2007 - 01:48 PM.

#26    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,827 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:04 PM

matt 1, very interesting link, thanks for sharing it.  

At the bottom of the page is explained the Principle of least action.  In throwing a ball through at window, for instance, its trajectory is a measure both of the energy involved in transversing its path and the time taken.  The ball can be thrown at different speeds and different trajectories but still go through the window.  You vary the ball's trajectory by changing its energy.  But it is equally true that you are changing its trajectory by changing its time taken.  So, in a sense you are manipulating time in the system.  

This may sound like an obvious point, but if we consider the trajectory of the ball (in some gravitational field) as the result of its mass + energy, we also get mass + energy = time (the duration of the ball's flight).   To change the ball's trajectory we can vary its mass and energy, but actually we are changing its time of flight.  We control the process as well as the outcome of events by controlling the time it takes for events to happen.  We control action by controlling time.  So, I think time can be considered as having a physical effect on the universe, time is more than just duration, time is an actual physical-like quantity.  

#27    alexpap

alexpap

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:18 PM

matt 1, very interesting link, thanks for sharing it.  

At the bottom of the page is explained the Principle of least action.  In throwing a ball through at window, for instance, its trajectory is a measure both of the energy involved in transversing its path and the time taken.  The ball can be thrown at different speeds and different trajectories but still go through the window.  You vary the ball's trajectory by changing its energy.  But it is equally true that you are changing its trajectory by changing its time taken.  So, in a sense you are manipulating time in the system.  

This may sound like an obvious point, but if we consider the trajectory of the ball (in some gravitational field) as the result of its mass + energy, we also get mass + energy = time (the duration of the ball's flight).   To change the ball's trajectory we can vary its mass and energy, but actually we are changing its time of flight.  We control the process as well as the outcome of events by controlling the time it takes for events to happen.  We control action by controlling time.  So, I think time can be considered as having a physical effect on the universe, time is more than just duration, time is an actual physical-like quantity.

A "Time travel" machine was found in Aksum.

Attached Thumbnails

• a03.jpg

#28    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,620 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:53 PM

I'd take the trip...after leaving all my money in a few high interest bank accounts first, of course...

#29    SameerPrehistorica

SameerPrehistorica

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:36 AM

sounds awesome,but i dont think it can happen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users