Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Haunted Prisons

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16    Cufflink

Cufflink

Poltergeist

• 2,234 posts

• For you, Baby, I could be

Posted 07 December 2003 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (dancin'hamster @ Dec 7 2003, 04:25 PM)
I have a cracking story from two local ladies who had a very unpleasant experience near some crossroads where the local gibbet once stood *shudder*

Stop teasing and tell us. wink2.gif

Nice pics, btw.  Looks like a level from Tomb Raider. tongue.gif  

Posted Image
Posted Image

In case...two words, not one Posted Image

#17    Cufflink

Cufflink

Poltergeist

• 2,234 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 09:45 PM

Still waiting, Hammyboots.  Still waiting. blink.gif  

Posted Image
Posted Image

#18    ambyglam

ambyglam

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

• When in disgrace with fortunes and mens eyes,
    Be glam!

Posted 16 December 2003 - 05:16 PM

maybe the reason we dont hear more about haunted prisons is because most of the people who do come out of them dont want to talk about the time they have spent inside! ph34r.gif  

#19    Agent_21

Agent_21

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

• Baby says: Vote for Biccy Boy!!! UM2004
    BABY LIKES MILK AND COOKIES!
    Yo J! ;)

Posted 16 December 2003 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (ambyglam1 @ Dec 16 2003, 04:16 PM)
because most of the people who do come out of them dont want to talk about the time they have spent inside! ph34r.gif

Good point. The authorities tend to deflect any questioning too.

Last week I passed Lewes prison in East Sussex, which reminded me it is haunted by a woman of Victorian vintage who drifts along one particular corridor. It seems a couple of warders have admitted recently to having met her.

#20    Cufflink

Cufflink

Poltergeist

• 2,234 posts

Posted 17 December 2003 - 03:38 AM

QUOTE (Agent_21 @ Dec 16 2003, 09:40 PM)
Last week I passed Lewes prison in East Sussex, which reminded me it is haunted by a woman of Victorian vintage who drifts along one particular corridor. It seems a couple of warders have admitted recently to having met her.

Glad you made that clear, Agent. wink2.gif

Think I'll look into that story, though, unless anyone beats me to it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#21    thecookreport

thecookreport

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 03:45 AM

hiya all...
After reading about our local Strangeways spectre...I felt I had to add these couple of tales regarding English prisons..as a deterrent to anyone wanting to end up in one....here goes...ahem....
LONDON - Clerkenwell House Of Detention
Prisons on the site of the House of Detention have been dated back over 300 years - it soon became Londons biggest remand prison detaining as many as 10,000 prisoners a year.  Since the House of Detention was re-opened in 1983 as a tourist and visitors attraction, strange phenomena has been reported there ever since its re-opening.  An old lady has been seen frequently who seems to be searching for something, many people have heard the little girl whose "heart-rending" sobs reverberate from the inner depths of the jail, the sound of unidentified footsteps, and the subsequent sighting of a man walking across the same area is commonly seen - the activity is so great, and of such a negative nature that mediums and "sensitives" can not spend too long in the atmosphere without suffering feelings of nausea and intense sadness.
DEVON - Dartmoor Prison
The graveyard at the back of  Dartmoor prison, built to house French prisoners during  the Napoleonic wars, is haunted by the spirit of a short man with long, dark hair, who can sometimes be seen gliding across the grass in the dead of night.
He was even once seen by a governor (now retired) as he made  his rounds through the old part of the prison.
Another Dartmoor ghost is that of a former prisoner, David Davis. He was first imprisoned there in 1869, and spent most of the next 50 years behind bars. He was given the job of looking after the prison's sheep, and soon he knew each one by name and would stay with them during the lambing season. Eventually he was released, but he begged the governor to let him stay and look after the sheep. The governor refused, but joked that he'd keep the job open. Davies replied that he'd be back, and a fortnight later he was indeed back behind bars. He died in prison in 1929, but several times his ghost has been seen following his flock of sheep.

CO.DURHAM - Durham Prison
In December 1947, an inmate murdered a fellow prisoner in the main wing of Durham Prison with a table knife. Shortly after the murder, a prisoner put into that cell was discovered next morning crouched in the corner of the cell gibbering in fear. After the warders had calmed him down, he told them he had seen the entire crime re-enacted in front of his eyes. After several other prisoners objected to being locked up in the cell, it was left empty, later becoming a store-room.
DEVON - Exeter Prison
In 1973, two inmates serving long sentences were walking back to their cells when they noticed the figure of a middle-aged man moving along an upper gallery. On reaching a particular cell door he suddenly vanished. The two witnesses were so upset by this incident that they asked to see the Governor of the prison, who understandably dismissed the story as imagination. The two men, however, persisted in their report and the details they related were so identical that the officer was persuaded to examine some old architectural plans of the building, and earlier scheduled of inmates. All three men were surprised to learn that the figure was that of the last murderer to be kept in 'Death Row' the site of the haunting, before being hanged. The Governor immediately arranged for the affected cell and the one immediately below to be cemented over and the end of the gallery to be sealed off. Nevertheless, inexplicable footsteps are still heard in the locality.
GLOUCESTER - Gloucester Gaol
One of Britainís oldest prisons, Gloucester Gaol is haunted by the ghost of a 15th century girl who was brutally murdered on the site of what is now Landing A3.   Cell 25 on that landing is particularly haunted and poltergeist activity has included books and utensils being hurled around the cell. On one occasion a disembodied hand was seen pointing at one of the prisoners.
During a seance held in the cell in December, 1969, with the use of a Ouija Board, the ghost described herself as Jenny Godfrey and said that she had been murdered by an drunken Irishman after an argument.

OXFORDSHIRE - Oxford Prison
Apparitions of the executed are said to roam here. A slowing white shape coming out of one of the cells on the second floor has been caught on camera by investigators. There was no one there at the time the picture was taken and it showed on the negative, as well.
LONDON - Pentonville Prison
The reason for closing two cells in the 'E-wing'of this well-known prison and converting them into a canteen for the officers, was the unaccountable footsteps and 'a weird and rather unpleasant atmosphere' was experienced by the inmates. Rumour has it that a former prisoner was able, by some unknown means, to kill himself in one of the affected cells a few years ago.
SHROPSHIRE - Shrewsbury Prison
Across the lane from the police house this building has a very mischievous spirit who walks various item of stationary across the main upper hall. This is now used as offices. One story is of a roll of sellotape "floating" about the room at waist height as if it were being carried by the invisible man.
MERSEYSIDE - Walton Jail
Liverpools Walton Jail has a haunted prison cell. In the late 1920's it housed William Kennedy, who had an accomplice named Guy Frederick Browne. Together, they murdered a Police Constable and shot out both his eyes. Both were hanged for their crimes, but prisoners staying in that cell have reported seeing a black figure standing at the foot of their beds. Some prisoners would even go into solitary instead of occupying that cell.
LONDON - Wandsworth Jail
The ghost of a middle-aged  woman wearing a grey woollen dress has often been seen, appearing out of nowhere and vanishing just as quickly. Wandsworth Annie (as she is known to the residents) is thought to be the ghost of a woman who used to work at the jail in the mid  19th century and has been seen by both prisoners and officers alike.

regards....

cookster!

#22    Agent_21

Agent_21

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

• Baby says: Vote for Biccy Boy!!! UM2004
    BABY LIKES MILK AND COOKIES!
    Yo J! ;)

Posted 29 December 2003 - 04:21 AM

That makes interesting reading. Thanks.

#23    33% God

33% God

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

• I bring nothing to the table

Posted 29 December 2003 - 07:28 AM

There really is a lot of haunted prisons isnt there? A bunch of prisons around my area are supposedly "haunted".Maybe if old prisons didnt hang people from stairwells and whatnot while a crowd a people gawk,there wouldnt be restless souls,or whatever if you will,wandering around.

I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class,especially since I rule.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users