Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Murders Based on Movies

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#31    SunriseSunset

SunriseSunset

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:45 PM

I killed someone, but it's not my fault: It was Hollywood, it was the Playstation, it was my single parent home, it was me having no social life, it was because I'm poor, it was because that boy wouldn't go out with me, it was because I was bullied, it was...blah blah blah.

Why can't these people accept responsiblity?

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and sky...

#32    Jaguat

Jaguat

Freak unleashed! So beware........

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

• Time gives a wise man something to use and a fool something to waste. mjw

Posted 03 September 2007 - 03:48 AM

Yeah, the people who do copycat killings do so so that they may be able to invoke these filmns as part of their defense. Am not convinced that they don't know what they are doing, more the fact that they use movies to facilitate their prefered method of killing, and to make it as theatrical as possible so they can use it as a defense when they get caught. It's as simple as that.;......

Never let the flame inside you die. MJW

#33    greggK

greggK

Poltergeist

• 2,756 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 07:33 PM

There's gonna be a new show on TV,

'Murders based on movies.'

It is me!

#34    shantiel

shantiel

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:48 PM

I like the movies, but this is weird.

linked-image

The movie, Scream, directed by Wes Craven, featured a character wearing an elongated white face mask with hollow eyes and a black cowl, popular among Trick-or-Treaters and for Halloween parties.  Aired in 1996, the film satirized a collection of past slasher movies, offering the plot of a teenage girl targeted by a maniacal killer (Ghostface) who must learn her town's secrets to save herself.  But even satires can trigger unbalanced minds to mimicry.  It's all in the images.
Even as Scream spawned two top-grossing sequels, it also inspired crimes.  For three or four years after its release, a number of teenagers were inspired to murder: a boy and his cousin in Los Angeles obsessed with the film murdered his mother by stabbing her 45 times; a man wearing the mask shot and killed a woman in Florida; a boy in France killed his parents while acting as Ghostface; and in England, a pair of boys repeatedly stabbed a third one, claiming the film had prompted them to do it.

Daniel Gill, 14, and Robert Fuller, 15, from North Yorkshire, were found guilty on October 22, 1999 of the attempted murder of Ashley Murray and were sentence to detention in a juvenile facility for six years.  They stabbed Murray eighteen times and left him to die, but a day and a half later a man walking his dog found him, and he recovered.

Just before the attack, the boys had watched Scream at the home of a drug dealer, who had shown them occultic items and weapons, and allegedly told them that the gods wanted Murray to die.  Their defense was that this influence had blurred the line between fantasy and reality, as well as the line between right and wrong.  Drawings of Ghostface and pictures of knives turned up in one boy's schoolbooks, according to the BBC.

But they were friends of Murray's, and even he conceded that the film might have directed their behavior.  That was the statement he gave to police.  They had lured him to an isolated spot, he said, and then Gill stabbed him repeatedly in the cheek and head.  Fuller held him and stabbed his arm.  Only when Murray pretended to be dead did they leave, but he was too injured to find his way to a hospital.

oooh, thats horrible!

#35    shantiel

shantiel

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:49 PM

There's gonna be a new show on TV,

'Murders based on movies.'

what is it? Is that the name of the movie?

#36    shantiel

shantiel

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:50 PM

Well, first off I agree with the majority. A song, video, book or whatever wont make any random person kill, the person would have had to have been on the verse anyways. Some do it out of competitiveness or a desire to prove themselves. I heard recently about a group of boys in England dressed in white suits and wearing jockstraps beating a drunken bum to death in an alley.... what a bunch of loons. They had seen A Clockwork Orange to many times (by the way... an awesome movie). With the new Manhunt 2 game coming out and the idea being to murder people as gruesomely as possible, geez I wonder what is next. Its like Grand Theft Auto except you're a serial killer not just a spree shooter and drug enforcer. And I've heard about people chopping each other up with hatchets after listening to Insane Clown Posse and Psychopathic Records. Like Jacob Robida...

I was a very violent person, but I never acted that way because of the media.

nope, yu don't look violent crying.gif

#37    shantiel

shantiel

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:51 PM

I don't agree at all.
A movie, music, etc. can NOT convince a normal person to murder someone else. There must be an underlying problem with the person to begin with.
I grew up watching slasher films from the time I was 4 and up. I have older brothers who were supposed to be babysitting me, but, instead took it as the perfect opportunity to watch those movies Mom wouldn't let them see!  laugh.gif And I have NEVER caused any type of physical harm to another human being.
Why? Because I was brought up right, taught right from wrong, had all the love that I needed, etc.
If a child is truly influenced by a movie or music then in my opinion, that is a cry for help. Most normal people do realize that a movie is not reality and that things depicted in the movie should not be acted out. If a person does not realize this then obviously they have underlying mental/emotional problems.

Have a nice day!  wavey.gif
Lorelei

yeah, why exactly or who said he was normal to begin with? huh.gif

#38    shantiel

shantiel

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 09:53 PM

You're probably right in that...wrong parentship/education is a well known motive for murders and other crimes....

Me? I just had fun a couple times putting on my scream costume and my voice changer, then calling people and standing in their backyard ( i did this by friends, so don't worry tongue.gif ), but i never even thought about going further.

dont scare them, they might think you are crying.gif

#39    greggK

greggK

Poltergeist

• 2,756 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:26 AM

what is it? Is that the name of the movie?

grin2.gif  The movie might be titled 'Scream' based on the painting by this one=eared guy.

It is me!

#40    slipklok

slipklok

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 222 posts

• Blacker than the Blackest Black times Infinity!!!!! - Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:18 PM

It's not the movies fault, if people are that impressionable then they shouldn't watch the movie.  I see violent movies all the time and im only 14, but that doesn't mean im gonna go on a murderous rampage with a butcher knife.  Some people are crazy, stupid, and all around f*ckheads, and they are the type who shouldn't watch those movies.  Movies are fictional(usually) and are just meant for entertainment purposes, such as scaring you.  Plus about half (maybe less) of those murders are related to scream.  If someone watches scream, then wears the mask and the cloak, and kills somone with a knife, that has to do with the movie.  If someone wears a scream mask and has a gun and robs a store, that has nothing to f*cking do with it.  They wear a mask so noone will see there face.  There wearing a scream mask beacuse it's cheap and easy to find.  Walk into any costume store and there is a 90% chance you'll find at least three different ghostface masks.  Stop f*cking making everything into a scapegoat!  Sunrisesunset is right.  People need to learn about something called Responsibillity.

Edited by slipklok, 09 September 2007 - 06:20 PM.

BYAAAAAAH!!!!

#41    Wolvenblood

Wolvenblood

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:01 PM

I'd say media attracts people to copy what they see or here. An example is Gang shootings, probably influenced by people like 50 Cent and other Gangsta rappers, games and films can do this at times to.

But in my case, I have a few examples.

"Silence of the lambs"- Enjoyed it? Yes. Eaten someone? no.
"The shining"-Got into the plot? Yep. Tried to kill someone? Had thoughts but everyone probably does when angry.
Played pretty sick and violent games, haven't done stuff to me.
I listen to bands like "Slipknot", "Lamb of god", "Slayer",plenty of Death/Doom metal, my nan says they'll mess with me. They haven't.

Only film that effected my minds The Matrix, that screwed up my way of thinking quite a bit, thinking about "Does this world exist?"

So I say it's people taking the fantasy to far and almost believing they're the characters. One thing I remember is this kid believing he was Dante from Devil May Cry. Ended up killing his brother or something.

#42    Morganshara

Morganshara

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 09:03 AM

Maybe Movies influence people but they do not cause people to kill. There are so many children that watch violent movies and do not end up killing people. If there are so many of the same people who watch those movies and dont kill or harm others then how can you say the movies "caused" these few people to kill? If these movies "caused" them to kill then there would have been many many more deaths due to the thousands of people who have seen these movies/. Do u really believe that these movies 'made' them kill? I really doubt it..

#43    joejam

joejam

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 04:31 AM

well I love the movie Grease.  I sometimes dance around my livingroom singing like Sandra Dee.....but now do you think I am going out and trying to be a pink lady and all?  I am not looking for my Danny.  See this would have to work both ways.  People kill because the wiring is wrong somewhere.  Karma?  I do not know.  But no movie caused such tragedies.  If they are a killer, they'd have killed eventually without the movie.  (If they hadn't killed before)  JMHO.  Could it excite a possible killer?  Sure....just like sex scenes may excite me.  .....that doesn't mean I stay wanting sex......movies end....a killer's thought were there before and long after.....

#44    The Little Raven

The Little Raven

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:06 AM

Just before the attack, the boys had watched Scream at the home of a drug dealer, who had shown them occultic items and weapons, and allegedly told them that the gods wanted Murray to die.  Their defense was that this influence had blurred the line between fantasy and reality, as well as the line between right and wrong.  Drawings of Ghostface and pictures of knives turned up in one boy's schoolbooks, according to the BBC.

But they were friends of Murray's, and even he conceded that the film might have directed their behavior.  That was the statement he gave to police.  They had lured him to an isolated spot, he said, and then Gill stabbed him repeatedly in the cheek and head.  Fuller held him and stabbed his arm.  Only when Murray pretended to be dead did they leave, but he was too injured to find his way to a hospital.

So... basically, the defense states that the movie "Scream" had caused them to go temporarily insane?
I'd like to see them argue that. I don't believe that "Scream" profiled murder in a positive light, although I do admit I haven't seen the movie.

#45    Technopath

Technopath

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 02:03 AM

If someone kills and then says it was in the name of God, do you blame God or do you blame the person? The problem is not in the movies, is in those murderers DNA and disturbed minds!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users