Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

Dead Man Walking

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#151    magnumo

magnumo

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:13 AM

Long time lurker, first time poster so hi guys original.gif

Well, I read about the first 4 pages and I had my doubts about PL telling the truth, but I was pretty convinced that she was lying when she mentioned after many posts that she happen to see Pete on the lake in a boat and her son talked to him. Come on, no way you would just stare at the person that you loved and planned to spend the rest of your life with if you happened to see them one week after they were suuposed to be dead. I also wondering why you would have no pictures of each other in the almost 3 years that you knew each other.

She says that he is not listed in the SSDI index because he does not have a SS#, so how is it that his daughter was recieving benifits? She says he had no bank account so why didn't she go to some of his past employers and ask how they paid him? Wouldn't be too hard to go back and find the HS the he graduated from. She said that he left his wallet at his home, but then says she never got a chance to see it when he was alive. Well then why didn't she look at it after he left? All this had been going on for many years and she did not bring it up to his daughter? There are a lot more holes in her story, but I think that you get the point. She is making stuff up as she goes.

Edited by magnumo, 18 October 2006 - 07:16 AM.

#152    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,381 posts

• ~*★*~Engine of destruction~*★*~

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:02 PM

Welcome!  Excellent points!

#153    sillynuts99

sillynuts99

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

• "I only dream in black and white" - Iron Maiden

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:09 PM

I'm another longtime lurker, first time poster.  I guess the moral of this story is to read the last couple of pages of the thread before diving into the beginning.  It would have saved me some time and effort if I knew the poster was making things up as she (he) went.  For the most part though the forum and it's posters rock!

#154    Isadora1982

Isadora1982

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 04:51 AM

Well, I read about the first 4 pages and I had my doubts about PL telling the truth, but I was pretty convinced that she was lying when she mentioned after many posts that she happen to see Pete on the lake in a boat and her son talked to him. Come on, no way you would just stare at the person that you loved and planned to spend the rest of your life with if you happened to see them one week after they were suuposed to be dead. I also wondering why you would have no pictures of each other in the almost 3 years that you knew each other.

She says that he is not listed in the SSDI index because he does not have a SS#, so how is it that his daughter was recieving benifits? She says he had no bank account so why didn't she go to some of his past employers and ask how they paid him? Wouldn't be too hard to go back and find the HS the he graduated from. She said that he left his wallet at his home, but then says she never got a chance to see it when he was alive. Well then why didn't she look at it after he left? All this had been going on for many years and she did not bring it up to his daughter? There are a lot more holes in her story, but I think that you get the point. She is making stuff up as she goes.

Couldn't have said it better myself....my bull**** radar went off after I read that part.
My gut instinct tells me its all an elaborate story, but you can't help but wonder why she hasn't been back for so long. Ran out of ideas maybe. Who knows...

"There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating: people who know absolutely everything, and people who know absolutely nothing. "

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple. "

(Oscar Wilde 1854 - 1900)

#155    Ketzer

Ketzer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:19 PM

Sorry, but I really don't believe the story... disgust.gif

Some people has nothing better to do than making fake stories.
I'm not accusing you of lying, but I'm pretty sure all of this is fake, or at least some parts.

#156    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,381 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:24 PM

I'm not accusing you of lying, but I'm pretty sure all of this is fake, or at least some parts.

I'm pretty sure that's the definition of lying.

#157    Ketzer

Ketzer

Psychic Spy

• 1,152 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:44 PM

I'm pretty sure that's the definition of lying.
In my opinion it sounds fake.
BUT, I didn't say she was a liar.
Just because IN MY OPINION it's fake, doesn't mean it IS fake, and that she's a liar.

#158    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,381 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:49 PM

In my opinion it sounds fake.
BUT, I didn't say she was a liar.
Just because IN MY OPINION it's fake, doesn't mean it IS fake, and that she's a liar.

Hey calm down.  I don't care one way or the other.  It sounds like a lie to me too.

#159    bLu3 de 3n3rgy

bLu3 de 3n3rgy

sit vis vobiscum

• 11,987 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 02:33 AM

wow is this thread still alive laugh.gif it's so so fake

Edited by Anvil, 29 November 2006 - 02:34 AM.

The Astral Projection Techniques Thread Here
*Golden rule, anything you extract, fill with light -- the universe doesn't like voids to be left.
Posted Image

#160    Ketzer

Ketzer

Psychic Spy

• 1,152 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 05:04 AM

Hey calm down.  I don't care one way or the other.  It sounds like a lie to me too.
I was pretty calm actually. tongue.gif
Anyway, back on topic.

#161    IndigoChild

IndigoChild

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 03:42 AM

Hey guys, does anyone know if Peacelover [original poster] has posted any time recently? Whether it was a real thread or not, it was very interesting and intiguing to me all the same. In any event, that is a very puzzling mystery and a very unfortunate thing to happen to someone that you had loved for so long. I hope that you should encounter some leads somehow. Please keep us posted, Peacelover.

Posted Image

#162    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• 2,033 posts

• "Sanity may be madness but the maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be." (from) Don Quixote

Posted 17 December 2006 - 04:27 AM

I think she was writing a book or movie treatment and wanted to see how engaged her audience would get, or how believable her premise was.

As long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress.
Julius Robert Oppenheimer. (1904-1967)
Posted Image

#163    Dodir_Svile

Dodir_Svile

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:31 AM

I know it's been almost 6 years since the last post in this thread, and almost 9 years since the original post, but before you call me a topic resurrector, I've asked the moderators a permission to post here again. :innocent:

This is one of my favorite topics here on UM (together with the one on Black Eyed Kids and couple of more) and I recently had some time free and decided to read it again, because the story is intriguing.
After reading the whole topic again, I did some research and found the following...

Contrary to what the topic author states, there WERE (and still are, I guess) several newspaper articles about Pieter disappearing and being found in the car. Parts of these articles are available online, but parts of the sentences are missing because you have to be subscribed to the archive (which I'm not). Here's the 5 articles that I've found (I've bolded the interesting parts and put [...] where the sentences are missing):

Page 3 of Burlington Hawk Eye, June 29, 1989
Columbus Junction man being hunted The Hawk Eye COLUMBUS JUNCTION have instituted a nationwide search for a Columbus Junction man who disappeared more than two weeks Pieter 36, 322% Main was last seen during the early morning hours of June 13 and was reported missing after he failed to pick up his daughter from a [...] Stoutenburg had borrowed a car from James to take his daughter to a doctor's [...] The red 1983 Ford LTD bearing Iowa license plate PAK 595 has been missing since [...] made lots of phone calls and talked to lots of [...] but they can't seem to find out a [...] city employee checked with people all over the [...] said Columbus Junction Police Officer There's just no trace of [...] Smith has filed a missing person report on Stoutenburg plus a stolen vehicle report on the LTD. [...] this we're just trying to locate both of he [...] The automobile is technically a stolen vehicle since Stoutenburg was supposed to have returned it. Stoutenburg was [...] He had been employed with Bell Ready Columbus until about a month before he [...] who is had custody of his [...] He is described as about 6-2, of medium with light brown hair and blue [...] Columbus Junction Police request anyone with information about disappearance call 728-2421

Page 5 of Burlington Hawk Eye, July 7, 1989
Missing man is COLUMBUS JUNCTION - A 36-year-old-man who disappeared June 28 has been listed in [...] by the Iowa Department of Public [...] Peter whose last address was 322% Main Columbus was last seen June 13. He was reported missing after he failed to pick up his daughter from a baby-sitter for a doctor's [...] Columbus Junction police said today they have no new leads on whereabouts and suspect he has left the [...] The endangered status means only there is the possibility something has happened to [...] according to the Louisa County Sheriffs Stoutenburg is described as about 6 feet 2, of medium with light brown hair and blue [...] Anyone with information should call the Columbus Junction Police 728-2421.

Burlington Hawk-Eye - Tuesday, August 15, 1989, Burlington, Iowa
CJ man found in wrecked car MUSCATINE - The body of a Columbus Junction man who was reported missing June 12 was found yesterday in a car that had gone over an embankment off U.S. 61 near [...] Pieter 36, had been missing since he failed to pick up his daughter at a baby sitter's home and take her to a doctor's [...] He was last seen during the early morning hours of June 12. At one [...] Stoutenburg was the subject of a nationwide [...] He had borrowed a car from James to use as transportation to the physician's [...] The red 1983 Ford LTD was missing with Stoutenburg and later reported as [...] The car was spotted yesterday by an Iowa Department of Transportation employee working on the north shoulder of what is known as [...] about three miles south of [...] The road crew worker reported the sighting to the Muscatine County Sheriffs office at about 1:35 p.m. Stoutenburg is thought to have been traveling north on 61 when his car went off the steep according to the sheriffs The spot where the car landed is not visible from the [...] An autopsy showed that Stoutenburg died of massive chest injuries and skull [...] After an exhaustive search that turned up nothing by the end of [...] Columbus Junction Police Officer Smith There's just no trace of [...] At the time of his [...] Stoutenburg had been unemployed for about a [...] He had last worked for Bell Ready Columbus [...]

Page 2 of Cedar Rapids Gazette , August 16, 1989
MUSCATINE - A badly decomposed body found in a car near Muscatine Monday was identified Tuesday as that of a Columbus Junction man missing for more than two [...] The Muscatine County Sheriffs Department said that the body of Pieter Hans 36, was found Monday in a ravine south of [...] Stoutenburg was reported missing June 12 by the Columbus Junction Police He was last seen in Columbus Junction about midnight the night before the missing person's report was [...] according to Columbus Junction Police Chief David Orr said it appears that Stoutenburg had borrowed a friend's car and was on his way to visit his girlfriend in Muscatine when the accident [...] The car was later reported stolen by its James Thompson of [...] Stoutenburg was apparently eastbound on Highway 61 two miles southeast of Muscatine when he lost control of his [...] entered the ditch and struck a [...] His body was found inside the wrecked car - which was not visible from the roadway 50 feet away - by state Department of Transportation employees who were working beside the [...] Officials did not know the exact day of the accident but suspect it was June 12. Cause of death was not known An autopsy was performed Tuesday but results were not [...] who was at the scene of the [...] said the car Stoutenburg had been driving was destroyed when it struck the HIT the tree very Orr He said the car went off the road on an curve and ran down what Orr described as a straight [...] was impossible to see from the [...] Orr said of the car's resting [...] Orr said that a woodworker who had lived in the Columbus Junction area for about five [...] had custody of his 10-year-old [...] He had failed to pick up the girl after a doctor's appointment the day before he was reported [...] Orr were all kinds of rumors of [...] we had to check all of them [...] Orr had him murdered and at the bottom of a pond outside of [...] Others said he took off to start a new [...] He was even supposedly spotted in [...] So we checked out Orr said the rumors about foul play were generally [...] was nothing to indicate foul [...] he Orr said it was his duty to tell about the tragic conclusion to the [...] the time she had these wild ideas that her father had dumped [...] that he didn't want [...] Orr had to break it to her what really [...] She took it pretty [...] In a way I guess she was relieved he didn't dump her but it was a real tragedy how it [...]

Page 9 of Burlington Hawk Eye, August 15, 1989
Pieter Stoutenburg Pieter Hans 36, of [...] was found dead Aug. 14, 1989, near Born Dec. 18, 1953, in [...] he was the son of John and Dorthea [...] He married Vicky [...] He had been employed with the Columbus Cabinet Shop and the Howard Bell Jr. trucking [...] Surviving are his one [...] Melissa at his Mrs. Dorothy Santa and one Mrsi Susan Little Ark. Visitation will be from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Funeral Columbus [...] The service for Mr. Stoutenburg will be at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Funeral Columbus '

Although some parts are difficult to understand with all the missing sentences, I think the overall picture can be seen. I guess some of the things the OP posted are true, mainly that there actually was an accident in which Pieter Stoutenburg died. But, as we can see from the articles, there are also some things that are different from what the OP stated:

First, there ARE articles about the accident, as this simple google research shows. They've not "disappeared" or "deleted". Second, if I remember correctly, the OP stated that all this happened in 1990, and the articles show that it was 1989. instead. Third, Pieter was 6-2, and not taller as the author stated. Also, there WAS an autopsy and funeral service. Next, according to the article his daughter (presumably Melissa) was 10 at the time, and if I remember correctly, the OP said she was older (14?). There's also info on his parents, John and Dorthea, where the OP stated that it was impossible for her to find out who his parents were.

So, I know at the end of the topic we all kinda concluded that the OP wasn't telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth, and some of us (me included) thought that it was just someone testing their fictional story for plausibility.
In my opinion, what happened is, the OP heard about the case (maybe even knew Pieter or lived nearby), heard about the rumors (as the articles also mentions that there were rumors of him being spotted), put in some other interesting and spooky details and made the rest of the story. Why? I don't know. But it's still one of my favourite topics. :tu:

I hope you enjoyed the findings. :)

Edited by Dodir_Svile, 06 September 2012 - 10:33 AM.

#164    Dr John

Dr John

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:32 PM

Captivating story even though its not true. I would love the OP to come back and let us know the reason for posting the story and why she kept it going for so long.(Highly unlikely i know).I read many threads on this wonderful website and never comment but i was so intrigued by this one i wanted to post. Thanks to Dodir_Svile for resurrecting it.

#165    Mississippi missy

Mississippi missy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:54 AM

I wanted to say I need to do some researching of this website, But I am Pieter  Stoutenburg's daughter Mellissa. I was Technically nine years old when he disappeared June 12 my birthday is July 20 and we didn't find him until August 14, so that I was 10. It also was summer 1989. As I said I need to read more but I can at least answer or clarify some .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users