Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What's At The End Of The Universe

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:19 PM

Ptch.. yer all wrong.

Millyways is at the end of the universe. wink2.gif

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#62    Startraveler

Startraveler

Fleet Captain

• 4,513 posts

• Knowledge Brings Fear.

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:40 PM

Furthermore, I don't believe that anything travels faster than the speed of light...the speed of light is the speed of light...not the speed of Energy.

The two are the same, as light and energy are essentially synonomous.

#63    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,688 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:47 PM

The two are the same, as light and energy are essentially synonomous.

I humbly disagree.  Light is an abstract  of energy.  It is energy that creates the light.  It is energy that creates the Radio wave which travels at the speed of light and yet radio waves are not light.  Energy is something akin to Now.  It is impossible to put one's finger on it and say, Here this is Energy.  All we see, all we can perceive are the 'effects' of energy in it's infinitely various forms.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#64    Startraveler

Startraveler

Fleet Captain

• 4,513 posts

• Knowledge Brings Fear.

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:00 PM

Radio waves are light. They differ from visible light only the exact amount of energy they carry (that is, their frequency). You're correct that energy (and in some sense, light itself) is a mathematical abstraction that one can't exactly touch. I find that it's one of the most commonly misunderstood concepts; most people don't recognize that energy is simply a number we can assign to a physical system. But the speed at which that number can impact other systems is known and it is the speed of light.

#65    joc

joc

• 12,688 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:46 PM

Radio waves are light. They differ from visible light only the exact amount of energy they carry (that is, their frequency). You're correct that energy (and in some sense, light itself) is a mathematical abstraction that one can't exactly touch. I find that it's one of the most commonly misunderstood concepts; most people don't recognize that energy is simply a number we can assign to a physical system. But the speed at which that number can impact other systems is known and it is the speed of light.

It is absolutely stunning to me at times to realize how much I don't know.  Equally stunning is the vast amount of knowledge at our finger tips.  A quick search of Radiowaves and Light has increased my knowledge considerably.  I should have opted for Physics in highschool. happy.gif I concur...radiowaves are light.

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#66    nickoli

nickoli

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

• I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in so doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity.

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:12 AM

One option we should consider is Genesis 1:1  which states "In the beginning God created the heavens (plural) and the earth." Now the big bang to me implies Gods spoken word to which Genesis 1:3 addresses but 1:2 answers some questions which states "The earth was without form,and void;and darkness was on the face of the deep.And the spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters." I know many will find this rediculious (sp?)and doesnt apply to the many very intellegent answers here, but one should consider it after exhausting all other explanations, that whats outside of space could be or is the deep. So many thousands of years ago before telescopes and such, the author of Genesis knew that there were heavens (plural).Heaven in the original language of The Bible meant sky not some majical place but literally the sky. Not a fancy scientific answer and I'm sure some or many will ridicule it . Almost all references to God rely on or include light without the light we could not even see nor could modern society even exist without modulated rf or energy in one form or another our very existance today relies heavily on modulated or controlled forms of electrical energy of one form or another,the first thing God created was light ie modulated energy. I'm not smart enough to really contribute here but doesnt it seem odd that Genesis 1:1 thru 1:3 deals with some of the deapest quandries of modern science? Even several thousand years later...Keep looking up....

We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Thomas Jefferson

#67    joc

joc

• 12,688 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:14 AM

One option we should consider is Genesis 1:1  which states "In the beginning God created the heavens (plural) and the earth." Now the big bang to me implies Gods spoken word to which Genesis 1:3 addresses but 1:2 answers some questions which states "The earth was without form,and void;and darkness was on the face of the deep.And the spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters." I know many will find this rediculious (sp?)and doesnt apply to the many very intellegent answers here, but one should consider it after exhausting all other explanations, that whats outside of space could be or is the deep. So many thousands of years ago before telescopes and such, the author of Genesis knew that there were heavens (plural).Heaven in the original language of The Bible meant sky not some majical place but literally the sky. Not a fancy scientific answer and I'm sure some or many will ridicule it . Almost all references to God rely on or include light without the light we could not even see nor could modern society even exist without modulated rf or energy in one form or another our very existance today relies heavily on modulated or controlled forms of electrical energy of one form or another,the first thing God created was light ie modulated energy. I'm not smart enough to really contribute here but doesnt it seem odd that Genesis 1:1 thru 1:3 deals with some of the deapest quandries of modern science? Even several thousand years later...Keep looking up....

I beg to differ.  About your 'smartness'.  I have always been perplexed about Genesis.  The Spirit of God hovering over the waters....and no light.  Water without light is ice.  Dark ice...floating in space.  It seems to me that there was matter and that what it needed was Light.  Interesting post really.  First came the light...then came the sun.  The question then is what kind of light.  As StarTraveler explained Light is various degrees of Electromagnetic Radiation.  To actually form the 'ice' would require heat...perhaps then to keep the formed Earth 'formed' required the Solar System.

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#68    nickoli

nickoli

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

• I think it better to do right, even if we suffer in so doing, than to incur the reproach of our consciences and posterity.

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:21 AM

I beg to differ.  About your 'smartness'.  I have always been perplexed about Genesis.  The Spirit of God hovering over the waters....and no light.  Water without light is ice.  Dark ice...floating in space.  It seems to me that there was matter and that what it needed was Light.  Interesting post really.  First came the light...then came the sun.  The question then is what kind of light.  As StarTraveler explained Light is various degrees of Electromagnetic Radiation.  To actually form the 'ice' would require heat...perhaps then to keep the formed Earth 'formed' required the Solar System.

Thank you. I look at it like this I SEEK, thats my little thing, I seek some answers, I look but I'm not satisfied therefore I yet SEEK. Together we may find, two minds are better than one huh?

We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Thomas Jefferson

#69    Cebrakon

Cebrakon

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

• The juice of memory rises. When it spills will be the time of reversal....Mighty shall be the roar, violent the rending, joyous the release.

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:17 AM

I found a video on the net that was about the universe. It showed a pic the Hubel Telescope took of the universe 47 billion lightyears away. The end of the uiverse. Yes the universe is 47 billion light years in radius. I always thought there was no end. Now that I know there is an end I wonder, what is at the end? If we flew past the end where would we be? Would we be back at the begining?

tongue.gif chocolate fudge

"I think, my Kepler, we will laugh at the extraordinary stupidity of the multitude.  What do you say of the leading philosophers here (U of Padua) who have never consented to look at the planets, or moon, or telescope?"    Galileo ,19th August 1610

Star Travel by Psionics

#70    Rocket88

Rocket88

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

• be bad enough to be interesting, be good enough to stay out of jail

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:47 PM

I"m gutted by all of this.If humans ever manage to build a spacecraft that can achieve light-speed, we still wouldnt reach the next galaxy if its receding faster than light. Boo!

#71    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 8,975 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:07 AM

You know Harte, I ended up doing some research and found that your theory very trustfull, I agree with this theory now it makes more sense to me, thanks Harte.  original.gif

Ghostkol,

As much as I'd like to have the credit, pal, this theory is certainly not mine.

I'm glad you looked into it for yourself.  Everytime you research one of these whacky physics ideas, you inevitably find out that reality is far, far more strange than you originally imagined.  That's really a nice experience.  I love it every time that happens to me.

You gotta admit, the current cosmological explanation for the expanding universe is leaps and bounds more interesting than the idea of a bunch of matter expanding into empty space, isn't it?

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#72    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 8,975 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:24 AM

All,

Sorry for that "Sigh" a few days ago.  Reading through this thread, I've seen several posters actually go and find out for themselves the concepts behind the topic of the thread.  Doing the research on your own is extremely rewarding, you don't have to take anyone's word for it, you can see why it is that these things are theorized, they are the simplest (hardly a good word to use for these sorts of things but words fail me) explanations for the observed phenomena.

If only it were possible to get the psuedoscience believers in the "Ancient Mysteries" section to emulate the sort of behaviors displayed in this thread.  Now that would really be rewarding!

This thread is going on my all-time faves list.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#73    MrMonkey

MrMonkey

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:35 AM

Umm i dont get what your saying how do you know its the end of the universe, it probably goes on and on, heres the video your talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgg2tpUVbXQ

now first of all the farthest it sees, 46.5Billion light years away, how do you know thats the end of the universe, it probably goes on like that forever. Or more and more. I dont get where your logic is comming from...

#74    Beren Erchamion

Beren Erchamion

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 320 posts

• Pick up one foot and set it down in front of the other. Sometimes all you can do is keep walking forward.

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:26 AM

The universe is still expanding yes and as for what would happen if we passed the edge? I think it is impossible to go past the "edge" of the universe. Period. There would be nothing there unless you crossed into an alternate dimension.

Emo King: We'd Rather Die in a Pit of Cold Dark Realities Where There is Never Any Escape But to Die Than Serve You Food
Goth Queen: Eat our delightfully prepared frozen treats! They're as cold as our hearts! (Old Guy in Background: Help me! ) *whip crack*

Four for you Glenn Coco!! You go Glenn Coco!!

#75    Cebrakon

Cebrakon

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

• The juice of memory rises. When it spills will be the time of reversal....Mighty shall be the roar, violent the rending, joyous the release.

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:52 AM

The universe is still expanding yes and as for what would happen if we passed the edge? I think it is impossible to go past the "edge" of the universe. Period. There would be nothing there unless you crossed into an alternate dimension.

innocent.gif OK, I'll play.  I believe we can only see 13.7 billion light-years in any direction.  Or did they change that when I wasn't looking?  That would make for a diameter of roughly 27.4 light-years.  But there are undoubtedly further galaxies beyond our light-horizon.  And no one knows how much further since it is impossible to calculate the exact length of the Big Expansion that may have happened in the first second of the universe, and took only several ticks of the 10^(-23) seconds of Ye Olde Cosmic Clock.  And many physicists are highly dubious of Guth's theory since it leads to no new facts.  Stephen Hawking, for instance.

ph34r.gif So we are dealing with the Mysterium Tremendum.  It is kind of like the mirror in the Harry Potter movies.  You can go crazy looking at it.  Remember that the Hubble expansion is an expansion OF space-time, not an expansion into space-time.  So suppose you came to the "end of the universe" you couldn't pass into it since we are space-time creatures.  I would guess that if the universe is positively curved (round), you would wind up where you started or in the general vicinity, allowing for the continuing Hubble expansion.  At present, the universe appears flat to about 40 decimal places.  Flat is on the knife edge between having a positive or a negative shape.  If there is even one neutrino more than what it takes to make the curvature negative, then it will be positive, and the traveler to the end of the universe would find himself right back where he started.

~~~Cebrakon

"I think, my Kepler, we will laugh at the extraordinary stupidity of the multitude.  What do you say of the leading philosophers here (U of Padua) who have never consented to look at the planets, or moon, or telescope?"    Galileo ,19th August 1610

Star Travel by Psionics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users