Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Astronomers Find Their Third Planet-TrES-3

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Owlscrying

Owlscrying

• 13,909 posts

•    

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:26 AM

June 1
Astronomers using the Trans-atlantic Exoplanet Survey (TrES) network of small telescopes are announcing today their discovery of a planet twice the mass of Jupiter that passes in front of its star every 31 hours. The planet is in the constellation Hercules and has been named TrES-3 as the third planet found with the TrES network.

The new planet is the 15th transiting planet discovered so far-in other words, it is a planet that passes directly in front of its home star as seen from Earth.

When a transiting planet passes directly between Earth and the star, the result is a slight reduction in the light in a manner similar to that caused by the moon's passing between the sun and Earth during a solar eclipse. When TrES-3 is in front of the star, it blocks off about 2.5 percent of the star's light, which is an effect observed with the TrES telescopes.

TrES-3 is an unusual planet as it orbits its parent star in just 31 hours.That is to say, the year on this planet lasts less than one and a third Earth days. This means it is very close to the star--much closer than Mercury is to the Sun--and so is heated by the intense starlight to about 1,500 degrees Kelvin. The planet is about 1,500 light-years from Earth.

To look for transits, the small telescopes are automated to take wide-field timed exposures of the clear skies on as many nights as possible. When an observing run is completed for a particular field--usually over an approximate two-month period--astronomers measure very precisely the light from every star in the field in order to detect the possible signature of a transiting planet.

go

#2    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,364 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for the read Sister Owls!! original.gif

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#3    Lucid Mark

Lucid Mark

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 176 posts

• I am magically delicious

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:56 AM

Wow so this planet is super huge but closer to it's star than Mercury is to Solar. That's pretty amazing when you think about it. Jupiter is only huge because of it's gases. The solid surface of Jupiter is very small in comparison to the size of the planet itself.

Visit My Blog

www.lucidsource.com

I Am Goodlooking

#4    Sun Raven

Sun Raven

Alpha & Omega

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts

• I am the master of my fate.
    I am the captain of my soul

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:30 AM

Wow just imagine how big this planet is, bigger than jupiter incredible. Its gravity must be so strong.

Posted Image

Sun Raven

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users