Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is death life

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    undeadlizard

undeadlizard

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 06:11 AM

There is no life without death.
If there is no life there is no death.
You live once you die once.
Life=death +death =life

Help me guys here i am confused
Thanks

deat is nothing more than ......

#2    Cufflink

Cufflink

Poltergeist

• 2,234 posts

• For you, Baby, I could be

Posted 10 December 2003 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (undeadlizard @ Dec 10 2003, 06:11 AM)
You live once you die once.

We can't be sure of that.  I've seen some very compelling cases of people claiming to have lived before, even though I find it hard to come to terms with the subject.

Anyway, what you have here is a philosophy question.  And those just lead to arguments.  

Posted Image
Posted Image

In case...two words, not one Posted Image

#3    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 10 December 2003 - 01:38 PM

What's confusing about the relationship between life and death? Death is simply the end of life...

Let's say you have a glass of water. If the water's poured out, you're hardly still going to call it a glass of water, are you tongue.gif There's no more reason to call death life. It's like calling the adverts after a movie part of the movie.

The little equation you put is meaningless...just because one thing is nesicary for the other, does not make them the same. Is your nose the same thing as whatever it's smelling?

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#4    FireFrog

FireFrog

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 01:47 PM

As Cufflink and Sera have already stated, there is no real area up for discussion here... Philosophical questions aren't usually what we look into on the forums, for obvious reasons.

Just a little tip for posting in the future.
And by the way, welcome aboard original.gif

--FireFrog

#5    algernon the 3rd

algernon the 3rd

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 243 posts

• ???

Posted 10 December 2003 - 03:10 PM

I think you need to lie down in a cool dark room wink2.gif

Are you quoting something someone wrote? As adding a comma makes things a lot more sensible: You live once, you die once.

If you're not then I think you've drawn a false conclusion - sorry.  

There is no life without death. - sort of, if a being is eternal does that mean it hasn't lived? No.  

If there is no life there is no death. - yeah

You live once you die once. - No - this conclusion is false as it totally contradicts the 2nd line. Life is precursor to death, so how can you die without having lived?  So the entire statement becomes a dichotomy. Put it this way how can you have drunk a glass of water without first having the glass of water.

However:

You die once you live once would be perfectly fine.

Now I'm going to have a lie down in a cool dark room wink2.gif laugh.gif

#6    Phantom

Phantom

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

• Bad Ass Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 10 December 2003 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (FireFrog @ Dec 10 2003, 02:47 PM)
Philosophical questions aren't usually what we look into on the forums, for obvious reasons.

What made you think that? I love philosophical questions, so keep them coming. original.gif

"Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability..." - Agent Smith
"Apfelschnaps, it's more than skindeep" - Kismit
"OK, don't quote me anymore..." - Mentalcase

#7    undeadlizard

undeadlizard

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 03:45 PM

so if there are people that have lived
more than once.

Death is the beginning of life ( in some cases i would say )

Thank you very much for your honest opinions  

deat is nothing more than ......

#8    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 03:54 PM

I don't really believe in past lives...I think some people just convince themselves or certain things to try and distance themselves from a fear of dying. They'll read things into dreams, unrelated thoughts, or just about anything...

The same is pretty much true of my opinion of the afterlife (or lack thereof). I believe you've only got once chance at life.

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#9    reese2

reese2

Psychic Spy

• 1,303 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 04:07 PM

Let's say you have a glass of water. If the water's poured out, you're hardly still going to call it a glass of water, are you  There's no more reason to call death life. It's like calling the adverts after a movie part of the movie

Seraphina-  Now, that is a great analogy....  Another prime example of why I like MOST of your posts...   tongue.gif  whistling2.gif  wink2.gif  original.gif

Reese

UA & Barman's Animated Avatar wish list, for the imaginative yet simple minded....  !!!

When one door closes another door opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the ones which open for us." - Alexander Graham Bell

Some of the most beautiful works of art, are often not work at all...

#10    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 04:28 PM

And yours is a prime example of why I like SOME of yours cool.gif

But I think it's a perfectly good analogy, if a slightly basic one...the proposition was that life and death were one and the same, just because death always follows life. Well...and empty glass always follows a full one. Doesn't make them identical, does it? tongue.gif  

Posted Image

#11    reese2

reese2

Psychic Spy

• 1,303 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 04:40 PM

The fact that it was such a simple analogy, is what makes it great.  

UA & Barman's Animated Avatar wish list, for the imaginative yet simple minded....  !!!

When one door closes another door opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the ones which open for us." - Alexander Graham Bell

Some of the most beautiful works of art, are often not work at all...

#12    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 04:43 AM

Oh my , this is quite a touching moment   crying.gif  I'm all kinda choked up ... You two are just wee softies on the inside arn't you ? grin2.gif

So that i'm not completely off topic but still pretty much covering the same ground as Seraphina  , it's simply the different names for the cycles . Life and Death kind of like menstrating and not menstrating , two different stages in exsistence ...

EDIT: edited becuase mine is a really crap analogy  thumbsup.gif  

Edited by Kismit, 11 December 2003 - 04:45 AM.

#13    Xenojjin

Xenojjin

Midnight Shadow

• 2,745 posts

• Ride the Air

Posted 11 December 2003 - 04:56 AM

Kind of depends on whether you think their is an afterlife or not . Its something that we can never know about for sure untill of course we are dead  wink2.gif  

Posted Image

#14    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 06:43 AM

. Life and Death kind of like menstrating and not menstrating , two different stages in exsistence ...

wow i like how you think, Life and Death are kind of like doing stuff and not doing stuff:D

I'm just teasing:P

#15    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 08:09 AM

QUOTE (Xenojjin @ Dec 11 2003, 03:56 PM)
Kind of depends on whether you think their is an afterlife or not . Its something that we can never know about for sure untill of course we are dead  wink2.gif

either way,  they are just   ways to differentiate between the two different stages of exsistence ..  original.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users