Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Gatton Murder Mystery

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#316    Derek40

Derek40

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:13 AM

View PostBudding Colombo, on 08 April 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

Hi again,
I doubt very much it was a gang that did the deed.
The below is a quote from Spencer Browne a reknowned reporter of the day
"We were together in South Africa many nights, and lying out under the stars we often talked of the Gatton tragedy, and we had the opinion that it was the job of one man and a bad 'un who had slipped through the hands of the police. And we both believed that if F. C. Urquhart had had his way the story of the tragedy would have been made plain."
I also doubt that murder was intended but things just got out of hand somehow.
I believe there was a huge cover up from the Vatican down. The then Qld Government (chiefly masons), certain townspeople and the police were also involved in supressing information.
I am willing and happy to share any and all the information I have compiled in the hope of proving who the culprit actually was.
If you are willing to do the same I would be most grateful and it may help to clear this matter up once and for all.
I know some of my ideas seem a little bit strange but you must remember once everything else has been ruled out whatever remains however strange it may seem is most likely, or must be the answer.
info@gattonmurders.com
Regards,
Steve
PS would you happen to have come across a picture of Sergeant Arrell and/or the enigmatic Thomas Day.

Certainly one of the greatest mysteries in this country's history, along with the Beaumont Children and the Wanda Beach murders.
The passage of time makes this cold case hopeless to re-open unfortunately.

#317    Budding Colombo

Budding Colombo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 158 posts

• Let the unknown become known.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:40 AM

View PostDerek40, on 17 April 2012 - 04:13 AM, said:

Certainly one of the greatest mysteries in this country's history, along with the Beaumont Children and the Wanda Beach murders.
The passage of time makes this cold case hopeless to re-open unfortunately.
Hi Derek,
Almost hopeless a few people have not given up, and I am one.

Regards,
Steve

Posted Image
Budding Colombo

#318    Derek40

Derek40

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

View PostBudding Colombo, on 17 April 2012 - 04:40 AM, said:

Hi Derek,
Almost hopeless a few people have not given up, and I am one.

Regards,
Steve

Good luck Steve, although the culprit and all witnesses would now be long gone, I hope that whoever did this is haunted from the grave about it.

#319    Budding Colombo

Budding Colombo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:47 AM

I now have pretty good circumstantial evidence as to who DUNNIT and if I am right if a similar crime happened again today comitted by a similar person he may well get away with it again, with the same cover up happening as back then.

Posted Image
Budding Colombo

#320    Budding Colombo

Budding Colombo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:42 AM

If anyone is interested you can listen to a Radio 4BC  interview on the subject at http://www.gattonmurders.com/page5.php look for the link.

Regards,
Steve

Posted Image
Budding Colombo

#321    farside

farside

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

Hi Steve – heard your radio interview – congratulations on that.  Seems there are still a few people out there that have links to the crime.  I’d love to talk with that fellow who once worked with Johnny Murphy.  John is the only Murphy son I couldn’t find at the Gatton cemetery.  I don’t know which recent crime you’re referring to, but given the number of priests (and other people of the cloth) that have been found guilty of any number of crimes, I find it hard to accept that just because they’re affiliated with the church that their crimes would be hushed up.  Even US Presidents can’t always be protected from their crimes (thinking of Clinton and Nixon particularly) – so I don’t understand why there’d be such effort in protecting a country man of the cloth – particularly given the significant number who have faced consequences for their actions.  Still, if any new evidence comes to light I’d love to hear of it – a few cold cases have been solved lately and I suspect more to come (interesting they have DNA now for the Wanda murders, even though analysing it won’t uncover anything new for about 5 years or so when forensics have further improved).  All the best,

#322    Budding Colombo

Budding Colombo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

Hi Farside,
I spoke to Byron but I don't have his phone number.
Here is a long winded reply to your post maybe it will help you understand my way of thinking.
The Buildup
The underlying reason the crime at Gatton was not solved at the time may rest in part with the depressed economy in Queensland and the bloody shearers strikes in 1891 and again in 1894, fighting against reduced payment for their labour, Queensland was in the grip of what could result in civil war.
Murders were committed and many acts of violence and arson were carried out.
Men and their families were left starving.
A volunteer army of Mounted Infantry was formed by the conservative government to combat ever-increasing numbers of the striking workers.
The situation became so intense that on the 6th of September 189?- The carrying of firearms was made illegal under a new Bill proposed in the Queensland Parliament. Being in possession of ammunition will also be an offence and suspects could be searched and arrested.
Premises suspected of containing firearms can also be searched.
Under the Premier’s Peace Preservation Bill, trouble-spots could be proclaimed as districts where the Act should apply.
The sale of arms in the proclaimed districts was also be prohibited.
By late 1898 it was becoming clear that the powerful Pastoralist led government of the day could lose its grip on power in the upcoming election due early 1899.
A grip that it held for many years, and losing it to the newly formed Andrew Dawson led, Labor Party.

At a time when the colonies of Australia were looking to form the Commonwealth of Australia, they needed to stay in government or perhaps risk losing the referendum resulting in the loss of years of work and careful planning.

The Colony of Queensland, was to play an integral part in the formation of the planned Commonwealth of Australia.
The conservative government in 1898 was led by the 13th Premier of Queensland James Robert Dickson, (later to become Sir James, who subsequently moved into the wider political arena as Minister for Defence in the first Commonwealth Parliament), knew the colonies' elections in 1899 would be a close run affair
Dickson was an ardent supporter of the formation of the Commonwealth and had ambitions of being a member of the first federal parliament.
After more than a decade of discussion, planning, campaigning, politicking and bickering, six of Great Britain's colonies in Australasia were on the brink of uniting as a nation.
Dickson knew it was far too important an event to risk having an upstart Labor government in the colony of Queensland.
It was known the path to Federation was to be far from smooth and the fortunes of both the supporters and opponents of a union of the colonies fluctuated throughout the 1890s. The debate generated both passion and indifference, reflecting a lack of consensus about the country's future and its place in the world.
The Federation proposal was soon to be put to the people in a series of referendums, although not all adults would have the right to participate, only landholding men could vote.
Many of the revolting shearers were Irish but the Queensland (Masonic) government of the day felt that the more conservative Irish in the community would side with the Dickson government and help tip the balance their way.
In the middle of all this up crops a murder of no less than three conservative Irish country people. The bodies of the three Murphy siblings being found on the 27th December 1898.
At first sight this was seen as a great opportunity for the government by showing off the capabilities of the elite (Masonic led) police force they had revamped and demonstrate compassion for the Irish, it would gain votes.
All available police were sent to Gatton to ensure a speedy arrest of the culprits.
This perceived golden opportunity was soon to turn into a quandary for the government.
What if an Irishman or perhaps even an Irish Priest was somehow involved and had to be executed, the grandiose plans would be in ruins and Federation may never be achieved.
There is only one avenue left open, make it appear that all is being done to aprehend the perpertrator while all the while covering up the truth and searching for a scapegoat.
Who had the power to get away with murder in a tiny country town of only 400 souls?

'We have failed because from the very outset we had no chance of success'

Inspector Frederick C. Urquhart in his police summary for the Gatton Murders

After many years of studying the case, my view is the truth of the story is actually hidden between the lines of the booklets.

Edited by Budding Colombo, 20 July 2012 - 07:50 PM.

Posted Image
Budding Colombo

#323    farside

farside

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:56 PM

Interesting back story – the only thing missing in terms of linking any of it to the Gatton murder (in terms of evidence)  is anything linking it to the Gatton murder.  I’m not saying your story is untrue – I can’t – I don’t know how much of it is actual fact, how much is assumption and how much (if ANY) of it has any link to the crime.  I could however, just as well espouse that I heard Urquart was a cross-dresser and didn’t spill the beans because someone threatened to expose his secret if he did.
When you read and hear about the incredible number of random acts of violence – back then and still now – the probable solution to this case still smacks of Occams Razor – (the principle arguing that we should select, from among competing hypotheses, that which makes the fewest assumptions).  Statistically speaking, it’s a far more likelier solution.  Chances are, some random person committed a heinous crime and disappeared into the night – like so many before him and so many since.  Frustrating?  Yes.  Unsolvable now?  Probably.  Tempting to build a solution from otherwise unrelated facts to the crime? – Definitely.

#324    Budding Colombo

Budding Colombo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:58 AM

Going on available evidence the time available to commit the crime was quite short so if all that was said by the Doctor and others actually happened the guy must have operated at a great rate of knots or there was a gang (highly unlikely).
Who could shoot one victim and club two others to death and in view of others and feel safe they would not talk?
These people drove into the paddock voluntarily.
It is known the perpertrator had a gun and a rode a horse to the scene, was known by the victims, had some form of authority over them and as reported by witnesses was called by the victims “Father, Father”.
None were gagged and the sound of gunshots was all but ignored by the locals.
If it was a gang surely others would also have a gun.
Sherlock Holmes said “Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.”
I believe that is what the Police did and they (or at least some) knew the truth but due to circumstances beyond their control had to cover up, shut up and move on

Edited by Budding Colombo, 25 July 2012 - 02:17 AM.

Posted Image
Budding Colombo

#325    farside

farside

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:14 AM

Hi Steve,  My replies are in capital letters to make them easy to see after each of your comments!  I'm so wary of claiming something to be a "fact" when it is not.  It can skew the outcome and lead to a wrongful conclusion....

Going on available evidence the time available to commit the crime was quite short so if all that was said by the Doctor and others actually happened the guy must have operated at a great rate of knots or there was a gang (highly unlikely).
(THE TRIO WENT INTO THE PADDOCK SOMETIME AROUND 9.30 PM – THEY WEREN'T DISCOVERED UNTIL ABOUT 10 HOURS LATER - HARDLY A SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME.  THE GUNSHOTS WERE HEARD ONLY MOMENTS AFTER THEY WOULD'VE GONE INTO THE PADDOCK, SUGGESTING THAT MICHAEL AND THE HORSE WERE KILLED ALMOST IMMEDIATELY - AND ALSO, I THINK, IT SUPPORTS THE NOTION THAT THE DEATHS WEREN'T 'SOMETHING THAT GOT OUT OF HAND' - THEY WERE KILLED VERY QUICKLY AFTER, LEAVING THE GIRLS AT THE MERCY OF THE KILLER - MERCY THAT WAS CLEARLY NOT SHOWN).
Who could shoot one victim and club two others to death and in view of others and feel safe they would not talk?   (THERE IS NO HARD EVIDENCE TO PROVE ANYONE ELSE WAS THERE - IT COULD'VE BEEN ONE KILLER).
These people drove into the paddock voluntarily.  (WE DON'T KNOW THAT.  WHAT WE DO KNOW IS THEY PROBABLY TURNED INTO THE PADDOCK WITHOUT STOPPING.  THERE IS NO EVIDENCE IS WAS VOLUNTARY OR PLANNED).  
It is known the perpertrator had a gun and a rode a horse to the scene.   (WE KNOW THE PERPETRATOR HAD A GUN, THERE IS NO PROOF HE WAS ON A HORSE).  
....was known by the victims, (AGAIN, THERE IS NO PROOF THE KILLER KNEW THE VICTIMS - WE DON'T KNOW WHO THE KILLER IS).  
had some form of authority over them (THERE IS NO PROOF ANYONE HAD ANY AUTHORITY OVER THEM – THERE IS PROOF SOMEONE HAD A GUN - AND IF THAT WAS BEING POINTED AT THEM, THEN THEY WERE SURELY THREATENED AND DID AS THEY WERE INSTRUCTED) and as reported by witnesses was called by the victims “Father, Father”.  (THIS ISN'T A FACT - THERE WERE NO WITNESSES TO THE CRIME.  SOME PEOPLE HEARD THINGS, BUT THEIR TIMINGS CONFLICT AND THEY 'THINK' IT SOUNDED LIKE 'FATHER' - SOME HOWEVER DOUBT THESE ACCOUNTS).  
None were gagged and the sound of gunshots was all but ignored by the locals. (THEY WEREN'T IGNORED - PEOPLE SAID THEY HEARD THEM, THEY JUST THOUGHT AT THE TIME IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN FIREWORKS, OR YOUTHS MUCKING ABOUT ON THE ROAD).  
If it was a gang surely others would also have a gun.  (IF IT WAS A GANG - BUT AGAIN, NO PROOF OF IT BEING A GANG).  
Sherlock Holmes said “Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.”  (WELL I AGREE WITH THAT, BUT THE ABOVE 'FACTS' REALLY AREN'T FACTS AT ALL - THERE IS A BIT OF ASSUMPTION GOING ON) .  
I believe that is what the Police did and they (or at least some) knew the truth but due to circumstances beyond their control had to cover up, shut up and move on

I REALLY DO HOPE NEW EVIDENCE COMES TO LIGHT AND ASSISTS IN GETTING CLOSER TO THE REAL TRUTH!!  Cheers,

Edited by farside, 26 July 2012 - 04:16 AM.

#326    Budding Colombo

Budding Colombo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:06 AM

Hi again,
Thanks for your input. Sorry about yet another long winded reply.
THE TIME OF DEATH. (They entered the paddock about 9:35 and would have arrived the spot at about 10:00
JOHN WIGGINS, a dairy farmer, living three miles (5 km) from Gatton along the Tent Hill-road, deposed that he left Gatton with his brother on horseback at 10 o'clock on Boxing Night, passing Moran's slip-rails at about twenty minutes past 10. They had three dogs with them, which went sniffing inside the rails,
WILLIAM WIGGINS, brother of the previous witness, deposed that when they came to Moran's slip-rails the black dog ran under the rails and sniffed.. This was about 10.30 o'clock.
(IT APPEARS THEY HEARD AND SAW NOTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY) Making it seem to me that death occurred between 10:00 and 10:30.

FATHER, FATHER.
LOUISA THEURKAUF, a domestic servant, now residing with her brother at Deep Gully, nine miles (14 km) from Gatton, aged about 20 years, said that at Christmas time she was in the employ of Mr. Clarke, a butcher, who lives on the Tent Hillroad, near Gatton. She knew Moran's paddock. It was not quite half-a-mile (0.8 km) from Clarke's to the sliprails. Clarke's paddock would adjoin Moran's except for a little lane between. One could see into part of Moran's from Clarke's.
She remembered Boxing Day. She stayed at home at Clarke's that evening, and went to bed at 9 o'clock. She stayed awake, and heard the clock strike 10. Mr. Clarke said the clock was right. After hearing the clock strike she got up to put the cat out of the kitchen, and opened the back door, facing Moran's paddock.
She heard a shot go off while at the door. It came from the direction of Moran's paddock. She also heard another shot. There was about a couple of minutes between them. She heard two screams, which came from the same direction as the shots. The screams were two or three minutes after the last shot. It was like a lady screaming. It was a still night. She thought all the screams were from the same voice, there being no difference in tone. The first scream was louder than the second. In the first the only word witness heard was "Father." That word was used both times. She did not hear it very plainly, but she was sure about it. She stood at the door listening for about ten minutes. She did not hear anything more, and did not wake any one up to tell them what she had heard, but went to bed.
She heard nothing further that night.
CATHERINE BYRNE, aged about 23 years, living with her parents at Lower Tent Hill. She said she knew Moran's paddock slip-rails. On the evening of last Boxing
Day she was at her home, about a mile and a quarter (2 km) from the slip-rails.
She knew the locality well.
Between half-past 9 and 10 o'clock that night she was on the veranda of her home, facing Moran's paddock. She went inside about 10 o'clock or a little after. While on the veranda she heard screams, which were loud at first, but they gradually died away, and the sound of a shot came from the direction of Moran's paddock. She only
heard one report of a firearm. The screams and the shot were very close together. She did not take any notice of the screams, as she thought they came from some children playing or from some young people going along the Tent Hill-road.
One could hear voices, if they were raised, from the Tent Hill-road at her home.
The clock was about right, She judged the time was correct by the train arriving while she was on the verandah, that would be the half past nine train, it was a calm, still night. She did not draw anyones' attention to what she heard.
Only her father was in the house, and he was asleep.
The shout was a loud and quick one.

A GANG. VOLUNTARY ENTRY.
THOMAS WILSON, a blacksmith and Magistrate. A thorough examination was made, but there was no indication of a struggle or how many persons had been engaged in the tragedy, or how the murderers came or went.
CHARLES GILBERT, licensee of the Brian Boru Hotel, Gatton, deposed. The slip-rails were on the ground, across the entrance. There were wheel tracks turning off the road into the paddock, the turn being gradual.
They got out of the buggy and the other two dismounted. M'Neill was looking at the rails, and said when he got there first the slip-rails were up, but when he came out he left them down. Witness noticed the rails, and saw that the cart had been driven over them. He could see marks on the rails.
SERGEANT WM. ARRELL, The wheel tracks where the rails were lying were disconnected, as if the trap wheels had passed over the rails on the ground.
He followed the wheel tracks back towards Gatton to see if he could find traces of a struggle or fight, but the trap appeared to have been driven without stoppage to the rails.

WM. M'NEILL said he had noticed the tracks before reaching the slip-rails, and saw them turning when some distance away. He did not at first know that they were his tracks. It did not appear as if the trap stopped before it turned in. It appeared as if driving home. He expressed a belief that Michael Murphy was coaxed, not forced, into the paddock where the murders were perpetrated.

THOMAS GEORGE BAILEY, aged 15, residing with his father at Deep Gully, deposed that he slept at his father's house on Boxing Night. He arose at 6 o'clock the following morning, and got a horse and rode into Gatton, passing Moran's slip-rails at half past 7 o'clock. He noticed the slip-rails all up, and also saw wheel tracks turning off into the paddock.

RICHARD JAMES, a chemist, of Gatton, The witness explained how they proceeded to the scene, and described the positions of the bodies. He said, as far as he could see, DEATH OCCURRED IN EACH CASE AT ABOUT THE SAME TIME. He could find no footprints round about. (Again making it seem to me that death occurred between 10:00 and 10:30.)

9:30 Got 3 adults off the min road into a deserted paddock.
10:00 Arrived at the scene.
Laid out a rug.
Tied two girls
Shot the horse
Shot Michael
Raped 2 girls
Clubbed 1 girl twice
Clubbed 1 girl once
Clubbed Michael
Leaves undetected by 10:30

What was the motive?
Lust Rape?
If someone is going to go to all this trouble for sexual gratification you would think a lousy few minutes would be a poor result for the effort.
Robbery?
Michael’s gold watch and chain left intact.
Revenge?

Why kill the horse?

Edited by Budding Colombo, 28 July 2012 - 01:11 AM.

Posted Image
Budding Colombo

#327    farside

farside

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:32 AM

Hi Steve,
I’m aware of all the information you provided.  I think it just affirms my view.
We don’t know how long the murderer took for sure.  We know they entered the paddock at 9.30 and the bodies were found the next morning - beyond that there are no facts.  It might seem the deaths occurred between 10 and 10.30, and they probably did.  I’m sure they were all dead within an hour of each other anyway.    Michael and the horse were probably shot straight away – that leaves half an hour to rape and kill the girls.  The horse was shot so no-one could attempt escape I would imagine.
Louisa heard 2 gunshots just after 10pm a few minutes apart, then screams (thought she heard “father”) – can’t be sure.  Catherine heard screams first (loud then dying away) then one gunshot – very close together in time.    So their stories aren’t the same.  A little conflicting evidence there – who is right?  Obviously there was 2 gunshots at least – we know that for a fact.  
M’Neill believed Michael was coaxed not forced – fair enough.  Just an opinion.  Can’t be proved.
Given Richard James was a chemist, we shouldn’t hold too much weight as to his beliefs as to time of death.  He was not a doctor.  He might be right, probably is.  He might not.  I think the time frame is
9.30pm left the road
10pm arrived at scene, shot Michael and the horse.
Between 10 and 10.30  (although he could’ve been around longer)  Raped and killed the two girls
Leaves undetected

What was the motive you ask.  Who knows?  Why did the guy just shoot 12 people dead he didn’t know in a movie theatre?  Why did a young man just king hit and kill another young man he didn’t know and had never met before in Kings Cross - unprovoked?  There’s a million examples of such attacks/rapes/deaths - are they  Mad?  Bad?  Lust?  Sociopathic?   Unless they find out who the killer was, we can only speculate.  

#328    Budding Colombo

Budding Colombo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

View Postfarside, on 01 August 2012 - 01:32 AM, said:

Hi Steve,
I’m aware of all the information you provided.  I think it just affirms my view.
We don’t know how long the murderer took for sure.  We know they entered the paddock at 9.30 and the bodies were found the next morning - beyond that there are no facts.  It might seem the deaths occurred between 10 and 10.30, and they probably did.  I’m sure they were all dead within an hour of each other anyway. Michael and the horse were probably shot straight away – that leaves half an hour to rape and kill the girls.  The horse was shot so no-one could attempt escape I would imagine.
Louisa heard 2 gunshots just after 10pm a few minutes apart, then screams (thought she heard “father”) – can’t be sure.  Catherine heard screams first (loud then dying away) then one gunshot – very close together in time. So their stories aren’t the same.  A little conflicting evidence there – who is right?  Obviously there was 2 gunshots at least – we know that for a fact.  
M’Neill believed Michael was coaxed not forced – fair enough.  Just an opinion.  Can’t be proved.
Given Richard James was a chemist, we shouldn’t hold too much weight as to his beliefs as to time of death.  He was not a doctor.  He might be right, probably is.  He might not.  I think the time frame is
9.30pm left the road
10pm arrived at scene, shot Michael and the horse.
Between 10 and 10.30  (although he could’ve been around longer)  Raped and killed the two girls
Leaves undetected

What was the motive you ask.  Who knows?  Why did the guy just shoot 12 people dead he didn’t know in a movie theatre?  Why did a young man just king hit and kill another young man he didn’t know and had never met before in Kings Cross - unprovoked?  There’s a million examples of such attacks/rapes/deaths - are they  Mad?  Bad?  Lust?  Sociopathic?   Unless they find out who the killer was, we can only speculate.  

Your hard to convince.
This may be of interest.

February 1973

Patrick Michael Quinn, born 22-11-1882, was interviewed by police detectives in 1973 at St. Vincents Hospital Toowoomba and stated that in 1898 he was residing with his parents at Gatton.
About 6 a.m. on the morning of the 27th December, 1898 QUINN left his home to collect two mares which were in a paddock near Gatton and later in the morning he had been told of the outrage and he went to the scene and assisted to load the bodies of the three deceased into wagons for transportation to Gatton.
He stated that the three persons were lying dead on the ground and the horse was also dead in the sulky and it had been tied to a tree.
He made a close inspection of the sulky and the horse and saw that there was no blood in the sulky and nothing to indicate that any of the three deceased had been injured in that sulky or conveyed in the sulky after injury elsewhere.
The only injury to the horse was the bullet hole to the head and its penis had not been removed or interfered with in any way. He stated that a person named Thomas DAY was employed at CLARKE's Butchery at that time and left the area a couple of weeks later. He was quite definite that DAY was not responsible for the murder, but a William McNEILL was the offender.
He is unable to give any definite reason but this is his sole belief.

Miss Catherine Murphy, born 5th December, 1885, of Winwill via Gatton, was also interviewed and stated that the murders were never discussed in the Murphy residence, and the only thing she knew about the murders was what she had read or what she had been told by outside people.

Upon The Death of Martin Donohoe A Famous Correspondent covered the murders for the West Australian. Written by Spencer Browne. Another Famous Correspondent of his day covered the murders for the Courier Mail.
We were together in South Africa many nights, and lying out under the stars we often talked of the Gatton tragedy, and we had the opinion that it was the job of one man and a bad 'un who had slipped through the hands of the police. And we both believed that if Inspector F. C. Urquhart had had his way the story of the tragedy would have been made plain. (Suggestion of a cover up).

Also the knots are also a bit of a puzzle.
M’NEILLS ACCOUNT OF THE KNOTS
During an interview with M'Neill he showed a reporter how the hands of Norah Murphy had been tied.
It was no novice who tied them. First the handkerchief was placed round one hand and crossed, but not knotted; the other hand was laid over it, crossing at the wrists and back to back; and then the handkerchief ends were brought over and tied.
This knot M'Neill believes was a "granny," and not a "reef" knot, but he is not sure.
It seems almost incredible that a person so ingenious in lashing the hands together so they could not be slipped would finish up with a "granny" unless, indeed, the weak knot was tied so as to avoid suspicion.
This is the type of loose knot used for tying documents as it is easy to undo. Like a knot a priest would tie around his bible or other documents.
Not the type of knot a you would expect to tie a person.

Regards,
Steve

Posted Image
Budding Colombo

#329    Nikki-3

Nikki-3

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:03 AM

Having watched the ABC, Australian Story, last night,  for the first time,  I saw this ' Gatton Murder Mystery episode.   Looking for more info I came across this forum.           I was/am  interested in the various opinions  as to who might have committed something so evil.  No disrespect,  after reading the first many pages here,  I was totally put off by some people who are into this personal attack mode on other peoples research/opinion  that I had to ' fast forward',
BC,  It was interesting reading your research, and it ended there due to Paintedfinch,  who has a right to his opinion but his attitude was tedious & plain rude.

Hope more is discussed,  as I am sure many people watched the ABC last night.

#330    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

View PostBudding Colombo, on 08 July 2012 - 03:42 AM, said:

If anyone is interested you can listen to a Radio 4BC  interview on the subject at http://www.gattonmurders.com/page5.php look for the link.

Regards,
Steve

I didn't think you were allowed to sell anything on this website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users