Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

dendrochronology

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Siara

Siara

Alien Abducter

• 4,427 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:17 PM

Does anyone know how far back archaeologists can date things with dendrochronology (history of climate recorded by tree rings)?

#2    Raptor

Raptor

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,085 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:40 PM

You can go back however old the tree is. The oldest living tree is a bristlecone pine (?), which is almost 5000 years old.

#3    BlueZone

BlueZone

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:10 PM

I think you can go further back than the tree.... for example if you have a 200 year old tree truck it might be that the first 50 rings would coincide with the last 50 rings of a tree that lived  from 400 years ago to 150 years ago.  In other words, it seems like they should be able to overlap trees.

What they need is a 5,000 year old tree and another tree which lived from 10.000 to 4,900 years ago.  I don't know how old the oldest wood artifacts are.  They find incredibly old wooden objects in Chinese tombs.

#4    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,299 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:53 PM

I think you can go further back than the tree.... for example if you have a 200 year old tree truck it might be that the first 50 rings would coincide with the last 50 rings of a tree that lived  from 400 years ago to 150 years ago.  In other words, it seems like they should be able to overlap trees.

Quite possible ... the only problem is that the chronology would be lost unless you had a complete section of the tree.

The procedure in that case would be to Carbon date it, which would give us the date of the tree's demise and go from there.

What is questionable is if the data preserved in that tree would still be accurate, wood is hygroscopic and can have absorbed all kinds of foreign matter during that time.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#5    camlax

camlax

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

• "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. "
    -Carl Sagan

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:18 AM

Quite possible ... the only problem is that the chronology would be lost unless you had a complete section of the tree.

The procedure in that case would be to Carbon date it, which would give us the date of the tree's demise and go from there.

What is questionable is if the data preserved in that tree would still be accurate, wood is hygroscopic and can have absorbed all kinds of foreign matter during that time.

They overlap, but I believe the oldest overlaps done with any accuracy are 10,000 years. There are many other dating techniques that can go much farther back, like; K-Ar dating, thorium-230 dating, Fission track dating etc

"Sorry, but my inner voice tells me to tell your inner voice the following:
It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Could you please relay that message to your inner voice?"
~Harte

"Imagination without knowledge is Ignorance waiting to happen."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users