Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Help... Withheld Phone Numbers

j000z11

Hello I don't know where to post and where to get help but what is a Withheld phone number? I've been getting calls from somewhere saying only WithHeld for phone number and its always harassing me. So if somebody knows what is it and whats solutions to solving the problem please help. Thank you very much in advance.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• j000z11

• DДrk_Lotu§

• rassy

• Waspie_Dwarf

Top Posters In This Topic

from what i understand a withheld phone number is a blocked number if you could offer a lil more info i'm sure someone can help you out more but from what i know when someone calls me from a number i've blocked i get a recorded message that says "call is witheld due to blocked phone number" don't know if that helps at all but good luck getting an answer perhaps you should call your service provider

I don't think i've blocked anybody but if its block it shouldn't reach the phone right? beecause it always rings and I can pick it up o.O and its really annoying. Thanks though mate, that helps.

no problem i enjoy trying to help the best i can as for why it would ring i don't know it is as annoying as telemarketers lol but your best bet is calling whoever your phone service is and asking them about it and if you have caller id and it displays the number at all inform them and see what they can do again good luck and cheers mate

a withheld phone number is just someone who has their number blocked when they call you, so you can't see it. How do you know they are harrassing you? Have you picked it up and found out what they want? Alot of computers call homes now, for stupid reasons, so it might be nothing - who knows? Pick it up and find out, and if it is someone looking for you and you don't want to talk, tell them you're your brother or sister and just visiting and watching the house while the real you is out shopping - that's what I always do when I want to find out who is calling but it ends up being someone I don't want to deal with LOL

I think this may be more appropriate in the General Off-Topic Discussion than the Science and Technology.

I've also edited the topic title to make the subject clearer.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

Withheld numbers are when a person sets their number to anonymous, so that people they call can't see the number. I personally don't answer withheld numbers after it seemed to become the cool thing for guys to dial random mobile numbers late at night and get all sleazy when a girl answers. I'd suggest setting up an automated voicemail service, if it's someone you know calling then they're likely to leave a voice message.

they hide their phone number so you cant call em back. you should report if before the harrasment become to far

I had (have) this problem on my phone too. Some computer from some company calls me about 5 times a day.

My simple work around was to set all "Withheld" or "Blocked Caller ID" to silent when they call. It still logs as a missed call, but at least I can't hear it when it rings. Most phones have a feature that allows you to set a specific ring tone to a Blocked caller. I just set mine to silent.

I found that there's nothing you can really do about it. What's even more frustrating is that in my state, it's illegal for these telemarketer companies to use a computer to autodial anyone but catching them and forcing them to comply is almost impossible. I even did talk to a live person at that company and demanded they take me off their calling list, but they haven't.

In the USA it is against the law for solicitors to call you if you are on the do not call registry list. Here is a link:

Do Not Call Regisrty

The only calls you may get are calls for charitable donations (a loop hole in the law) I politely ask them to take me off their list if I get calls from them.

Before I registered I used to get so many calls it was ridiculous!! Now it's much more peaceful around the house :)

Now I get hardly any.

Take care, Jody :)

In Britain we have the 'Telephone Preference List' - and cold callers should not ring you if you've registered with them. Automated, computer generated calling is under review at the moment, I think, and where they ring lots of numbers all at the same time and then only speak to the first person who answers - everyone else gets a silence when they answer, which is maddening!

That said, many business lines automatically withhold their numbers (including my bank and my local authority) and these are bona fide calls.

I think that BT told me it was not possible to trace a caller that withheld their number.

If I were you, I would definitely leave every withheld call to be answered by your answering service. If its a real call, then they'll leave a message.

In Britain we have the 'Telephone Preference List' - and cold callers should not ring you if you've registered with them. Automated, computer generated calling is under review at the moment, I think, and where they ring lots of numbers all at the same time and then only speak to the first person who answers - everyone else gets a silence when they answer, which is maddening!

That said, many business lines automatically withhold their numbers (including my bank and my local authority) and these are bona fide calls.

I think that BT told me it was not possible to trace a caller that withheld their number.

If I were you, I would definitely leave every withheld call to be answered by your answering service. If its a real call, then they'll leave a message.

With our phone company you can get a service that tells the caller that the number tehy are trying ot reach does not accept blocked callers. If they want to get a hold of you, they have to identify the number they are calling from. Once they do this, you can find out who they are and call them back to tell them to stop it. Otherwise, get a new number and make sure it is unlisted.

We get coldcallers sometimes, the only trouble is I detest the phone and sometimes don't bother answering, however, once it stops ringing, I pick up the handset and dial "1471", this tells me who the last caller was. If it is a withheld number, it just says so and I have no way (thank God) of having to call them back lol. This is in England though, I don't know what the "last number redial" is in other countries.

On harrassing calls, if you do pick up the phone and someone is harrassing you, do one of two things, either replace handset immediately and refuse to pick it up again for a while or place it quietly on the side and let them rant on (and THEY are paying for the call in these instances), do not replace it for half an hour. That way, they are not cut off and are paying the whole bill :lol:

Last night they were calling my cell and the claims to be somebody from my old schools and harass me. But suddenly they got my... Home phone number... dont' know how the hell they get it and are they just some ****ing stalkers? Just gives me a chill maybe I should contact my Service Providers.. Thank you very much guys that helps.