Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Airplane vs. UFO?

ice83501

Just wondering if anyone can let me know what color lights airplanes have. ???

My family and I went out to watch the metor shower and I saw what I think may be an airplane but I am looking for clarifacation. I saw an object that was quite far from me and all I could see were colors, no shape. The 'colors' did not seem to rotate, but seemed to all be present at the same time. The colors were amber, red, and green. The object did not move away from us and it did not come closer, but it did move up and to the south east of us, but only by a few degrees in about 15 minutes.

It was so far away there was no way to tell if there was any noise associated with it.

So, did I see an airplane with amber lights as well as the red and green, a star that really 'shines' with a 'rainbow' of colors, or some other easily explained object?

To say the very least, when we arrived back home, I went outside because a couple of neighborhood cats were fighting and I got a sense of 'unease' and became very nervous. Not normal for me. :-/  :s4

Any suggestions or opinions?

:sj

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Loonboy

• Saru

• ice83501

• Tommy

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ice,  :st

I too was watching the meteor shower last night.  Pretty amazing wasn’t it?  8)  A shame there’s so much light pollution around London.  :-/ As for the lights you saw, I would say that they were planes.  I saw quite a few last night, with red lights etc, as well as seeing satellites as well, not to mention the odd twinkling star.

[blue]Hey Ice, well done.... it's refreshing to hear someone asking the fundamental questions of eliminating the obvious before shouting 'UFO'...

As for lights, I don't know exactly what the colours/sequences are but I did see a big plane flying at night that turned all its lights off completely... bit bizarre...[/blue]

Hi Ice,

I think it's most likely that what you saw was an aircraft, a star would be unlikely to display such a distinct selection of different colours simultaneously.

I've seen a couple of strangely lit aeroplanes on one or two occassions, and it took me quite a while to tell for sure that they were actually planes.

:sc  :s03  :sc

[blue]Actually Saruman I have to disagree on that point you made about colours and stars.

If you look at stars at night and the atmosphere is fairly turbulent, a pinpoint of light like a star does indeed look like it's flashing a multitude of colours (green, orange, red, yellow, blue)... which is due to the effect the turbulent atmosphere has on the rays of light. It refracts it slightly, like a prism would. Because it's happening over a big area (from upper atmosphere to lower), the changes in colours seems rapid.  

However, that said, it would still only be a single point of light.

[/blue] :sk

LB,

Individual stars can indeed appear to "twinkle" in the sky when you look at them, but Ice described seeing all three distinct colours simultaneously.

This is only possible via three seperate points of light, and is therefore a lot more likely to be the lights on an aircraft than a star.

Either that, or an inquisitive alien race decided to abduct a set of traffic lights. ;D

[blue]True. I neglected to consider the 'simultaneously' point.

And as far as the traffic-light abducting aliens go... stranger things have happened.... like boats under bridges....

[/blue] :s9

Welcome Ice!

While camping this weekend i had the most beautiful view of the sky! Unbelievable. I too must confess I saw things I cannot explain.

Star sized ligths (maybe stars) travelling all the way across the sky from one end to the other. Most in straight lines... but this one flabbergasted me.... it was a zig zag motion. I cannot exlain it. I also managed to see quite a nice shower of meteors which also beautiful.... but the Zig Zag blew me away

Mys

Wow, thanks for all the welcomes and for the idea that it was a plane (I think so too) ;D

I will try to 'stick' around and post any other odd happenings I hapen to see.

Ice welcome to the forum, i noticed you live in the US. For a while I've seen slow flying planes, with weird shapes (more like a bird). I think they must be some kind of atmosphere plane or something rather.  I seen something on t.v. about a man-less plane that tests the atmosphere.  I know they also use these planes for recon missions in Afganistan, and other places.  This may not be what you were seeing, but obviously it was odd either way.  I have to do more research on these planes....but they did have strange lights...

Loon, I have also seen planes turn off their lights, it is weird!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings Ice!

One thing I've noticed, before I left Maine a few weeks ago, was the presence of many airplanes and aircraft in general from NORAD bases North of my home. These craft often use variations of lights or different patterns or what have you. Do you know if there are any NORAD stations, RADAR or deployement, near where you live?

-Test Bear