Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nebraska Creature

Schnaffler

I've done a quick search for this to see if we'd talked about it before, but found nothing, so here goes...

A remarkable photographic image has been snapped on the morning of June 13, 2006, in a woman’s backyard in the Midwestern state of Nebraska. KETV-7 in Omaha broadcast the picture on June 14, and it appears to be an animal unlike any most people have seen locally.

Story

Photo of the creature

linked-image

So, any ideas?

I can't help nut think that the creature's hind legs remind me of a dog. I wouldn't say it had stripes so much as brindle colouring.

Brindle colour

linked-image

Dog weight pulling - note the shape of the back legs compared to the mystery animal.

linked-image

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Schnaffler

• Vincent Campion

• Yankneck

• AdorablyDead

nothing to compare its size, so dont know how big this dog are, but looks like a wild dog sniffing around.

the back legs looks like its pulling something , maybe coz it try too climb on high ground

It was discussed here last year right after the pic made the news. I think most people voted for a dog of some kind and some thought it was maybe a bobcat.

Huh, looked for 1/2 hour for the thread, but can't find it. :(

The long tail and hind legs remind me of a baboon. That's my best offering. I'm not sure what one would be doing in a back yard in Nebraska though. Lol

It does look like it has a brindle color to it's coat. But the enhanced photo on the site with the article does make it look like a big cat. Either or I don't think it's anything unnaturaul or that a tranquilizer dart couldn't fix, lol.

It does have the brindle color but from the back sort of looks like a bamboo..

It does have the brindle color but from the back sort of looks like a bamboo..

A bamboo? Did you mean baboon? Yes it does look like the back legs of an "ape-like" animal. And does anyone know what that bright patch of colour is near its neck?

Edited by Vincent Campion

unless it escaped from a zoo i dont think its this but to me it looks like a baboon... :yes:

Ok well to me,if anyone else has seen Peter Jacksons version of the Two Towes of LOTR,than to me it looks like a warg in color and all,even the way the back pops up,and im not saying a fictional creature popped outta aTV,all im saying is it could be a fake by someone who knows a lot about Photo Editing,hers a warg for example for those who dont know waht it is. The pic actually gives some good shots of the legs and color,and the back shot too.

post-55365-1188962584_thumb.jpg

Hmmm...from this photo a baboon is certainly a good guess although ferral hybrids can produce strange traits.

post-49118-1188964838_thumb.jpg

I say it's just a dog, at least that is my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

Hmmm...from this photo a baboon is certainly a good guess although ferral hybrids can produce strange traits.

Thats a Jackal!

Vincent Campion - I think it's a flower. That's why the head is so difficult to see, it's behind foliage.

Thats a Jackal!

Vincent Campion - I think it's a flower. That's why the head is so difficult to see, it's behind foliage.

Ha, I knew that was a flower. I mean the slightly coloured part on its actual fur. I never meant the plant sitting on the window.

Ha, I knew that was a flower. I mean the slightly coloured part on its actual fur. I never meant the plant sitting on the window.

Maybe it's a huge escaped dog and the color is it's collar?

wow... It made news on my birthday, and I was clueless about it! thanks for enlightening me on this! *writes this down on calendar* is it a weird coincidence that it was in the news that day of all days, and that I want to live in Nebraska?

The more I look at this picture the more Im convinced its just a plain old dog. The picture was shot low to the ground on somones porch you can see the railing and the flower pot is just a regular old planter pot no bigger than a boiling pot for the kitchen. What breed of dog I would say it is a pitbull or boxer variety. I cant believe that this picture made it as far as it did. Its a dog on a hill nothing more period. The people who have looked at this picture and see something else need a psychiatric evaluation

Ok well to me,if anyone else has seen Peter Jacksons version of the Two Towes of LOTR,than to me it looks like a warg in color and all,even the way the back pops up,and im not saying a fictional creature popped outta aTV,all im saying is it could be a fake by someone who knows a lot about Photo Editing,hers a warg for example for those who dont know waht it is. The pic actually gives some good shots of the legs and color,and the back shot too.

Haha! The Warg and the Warg Riders! Funny thing is, Tolkien took the word "warg" from an old form of...wolf.

Haha! The Warg and the Warg Riders! Funny thing is, Tolkien took the word "warg" from an old form of...wolf.

Yea....this has nothing to do with words,what im pointing out is that it looks like someone got a pic from the movie/movie picture book,and photoshopped it,hell my grandpa whos 78 does Photoshop work that looks real.Anyway,it looks exactly like the warg from the movie....all im saying.

Yea....this has nothing to do with words,what im pointing out is that it looks like someone got a pic from the movie/movie picture book,and photoshopped it,hell my grandpa whos 78 does Photoshop work that looks real.Anyway,it looks exactly like the warg from the movie....all im saying.

No warg. PITBULL PITBULL PITBULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A DOG a DOG a DOG a DOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOOK AT THE PHOTO WITH NON CONSPIRITOR EYES

Just like he too the concept of Middle Earth from Saxon, Celtic and Norse mythologies ;)

This has been discussed before. It's not a baboon. baboons have back legs with oposeable thumbs, and not elongated tarsals like running animals do (who stand on the tips of their toes, like dogs). I said before, and I'll say again, I believe this is either an emaciated small dog like a pitbull, or a whippet.

In what way is it kinda large? Dog size is right across the spectrum according to breed, as well as the fact there isn't really any sense of true scale in the photo. We can only speculate on size. But we can go by the shape of the animal, corresponding to shapes of other animals.

In what way is it kinda large? Dog size is right across the spectrum according to breed, as well as the fact there isn't really any sense of true scale in the photo. We can only speculate on size. But we can go by the shape of the animal, corresponding to shapes of other animals.

It could be a shape-shifter in the process of turning from a dog into a human. That's why it looks so strange.

This reminds me so much of this story

http://www.boston.com/news/local/maine/art..._mystery_beast/

It looks a bit weird but turned out to be a dog.

My dog would fit into the category of weird beast, when you look at him face on in the sunlight he has the strangest fiery orange eyes and his whole face looks undog like it even creeps me out to stare at him when hes staring at you he just looks more like some strange creature than a dog.

post-57417-1189728060_thumb.jpg