Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
UM-Bot

Space Elevator Within 12 Years ?

12 posts in this topic

Here's an article which describes the means with which to create a working "Space Elevator", a 21,000 mile piece of cable stretching from the surface of the earth to a point in Geostationary orbit.

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/space_elevator_020327-1.html

Although the whole thing seems extraordinarily infeasable, this article provides a somewhat convincing arguement that suggests that such a thing could work. Even so, I can't see many folk volunteering to be hauled up a 21,000 mile long bit of cable to get into orbit in the forseeable future at least.  :s9

:sk

Saruman,  especially if you got stuck like half way up,  and you had to wait for the repairman!   :s2

Great story,  and as Homer would say,

new ideas are cool!!   :D

[blue]I think it's a good idea actually. No matter how bizarre. I think I'd have a go myself.  

But it's not really a 'new' idea as such. The idea has been around a while.

But it is still 'cool' though.  ;D

[/blue]

I read that article months ago when it first came out, and I'm still confused on how it can actually work. Very interesting, and if feasible, then I think it would be a great scientific achievement.

Scientific achievements are cool 8)

Essentially the elevator would pull things up into space, instead of rockets pushing, and its claimed that this would work out cheaper.

What it there's a lightning storm where the Cable is? It it would hit the cable all the electronics would be destroyed! Or when a tornado is there, the sattelite would be pulled to earth, or what when a terrorist would fly into the gondle?

But still a very good idea!  :s04

Odin S. :s9

What if a lightning bolt hit your house Odin, or if a tornado struck it, even a plane flying off course could hit your house. :P Arrrrrrrrrggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:s2

Just making the point that those things could happen anywhere and if we were worried about all the things that could happen then we'd never leave the house ::)

But you wouldn't get Me up there ;D

Good idea though  :sj

As it has just said on the show on Sci-Trek, there would be no air in the cable, so the pod would encounter no little resistance as it got lifted up at high speeds by the magnetic rings attached to the inside of the cable and outside of the pod.

the onlt draw back that I can think of is that if anyone went on it then they would black out before they reached the top, due to the speeds the pod would go at.  

[blue]I think Odin made a very good point above ^.

Such a construction is bound to be an enormous terrorist target. The security of it would be an absolute nightmare - securing up to 2-3 miles of cable/equipment in the air!

It would have to have air patrols and weapons defences.

[/blue]

Good point. I would still like to how they expect this project to work.

Hmm, maybe that could be another function of the whole thing, securing the air and land surrounding it! IT can be equiped with rocket launchers to shoot all enemy's out of the sky!  :D

Odin S.