Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Archaeological Curiosities

The_Spartan

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The_Spartan

• questionmark

• dest_titor1

• Harte

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Phaistos Disk

linked-image

The Phaistos Disks

Does anyone know more about these discs??

Good find Coredrill! Never heard of these before. They look interesting, and maybe even amateur "Sleuths" might get a shot at deciphering them!

The Phaistos Disk

linked-image

The Phaistos Disks

Does anyone know more about these discs??

i've read a few things about them. some say that they are minoan A, some say minoan B, others that it is a script related to minoan but currently undeciphered. i've never seen colour pictures of them though.

Yes. I had the pleasure of seeing the disc a few years ago at the excellent archeological museum in the city of Heraklion on Crete. It is beautiful; its pictures do not do it justice.

In the museum bookshop, I bought a copy of Louis Godart's well-illustrated book The Phaistos Disc: The enigma of an Aegean script (there were several editions in different languages) Itanos Publications, 1995.

Thanks for sharing. Where's Sitchin when you need him????

Truely a curiosity and an interesting one at that!!!

I don't know why, but when I first looked at the pictures the first thing that sprang to mind was "board game".

This is totally off the wall, but to me the segmented pathway that spirals towards the center looks like it should be used with dice or some other way of counting.

Is this the original "Monopoly" game? :w00t:

Is this the original "Monopoly" game? :w00t:

Nope, but it could be a version of "the duck game", very popular in the Mediterranean [smirk]

Yes. I had the pleasure of seeing the disc a few years ago at the excellent archeological museum in the city of Heraklion on Crete. It is beautiful; its pictures do not do it justice.

In the museum bookshop, I bought a copy of Louis Godart's well-illustrated book The Phaistos Disc: The enigma of an Aegean script (there were several editions in different languages) Itanos Publications, 1995.

I've also had the pleasure of visiting this fantastic museum, i only had half a day to study the exhibits, not nearly long enough.

You lot can say what You like they look like early frizbee disks to me :P

Hah, maybe the creators simply thought one day "Lets confuse people of the future by creating disks full of symbols without meaning!"

Nope, but it could be a version of "the duck game", very popular in the Mediterranean [smirk]

I thought that I was pulling a wise-crack, but after seeing this:

linked-image

I am not so sure.

Now, if we want to keep speculating, Gerard de Sede in his book Le Mystère de Compostela attributes the origin of this game to an ancient initiation rite.

The "Board Game" theory somehow makes sense. Board game symbols would be a extremely hard to translate and decypher if you did not know the rules or even what it was. Maybe someday there will be a "Monopoly" Board hanging in a museum with the legend "Map of Famous City" underneath.

Lapiche

That is the best explaination of these disk that I have yet read! Imagine if they have been hassling the whole time with deciphering it and it is just a board game! :P

That is the best explaination of these disk that I have yet read! Imagine if they have been hassling the whole time with deciphering it and it is just a board game! :P

Scientist would be quite happy if they discovered that this was actually a board game. They would have their explanation and that is it. Now, I am not so sure about occultists, alchemists and similar ists... they would be quite annoyed that the content of this disk is not the lost knowledge of Atlantis.

Some strange archaeological curiosities , this time inscrptions, stones and tablets...

The Mechbanisburg Stones

linked-image

linked-image

linked-image

Jacob's Ladder Stone from Valley Forge

linked-image

The Glozel Tablets

linked-image

Glozel Tablets- Source : Wikipedia.org

The Grave Creek Stone/The Braxton Stone

linked-image

Grave Creek Stone , Source : Wikipeida.org

Now, this one is quite contrevorsial. The pic below is of a metal plate belonging to Padre Crespi, Ecuador and many of you might have read about it in detail in one pof daniken's books

linked-image

and this is the famous crespi plate with a script (i think so far undeciphered..or maybe deciphered..corrcet me if i am wrong)

linked-image

linked-image

Now comes the Bourne Stone...No Nothing to do with Jason Bourne....but ...

linked-image

linked-image

big size photos are not available..... but can be seen in normal size at Bourne Stone

The Bourne Stone is an archaeological curiosity located in the town of Bourne, Massachusetts.

The object is a 300 pound chunk of pink granite, upon which two lines of carvings were made. For many years it served as the doorstep for a meetinghouse in Bourne.

As with many such objects, there is no consensus as to what the writing on the stone means. The well-known and controversial epigrapher Barry Fell conjectured that the carvings were made in Iberian script and read as follows:

A proclamation. Of annexation. Do not deface. By this Hanno takes possession.

Fell presumed that the "Hanno" being referred to above was none other than Hanno the Navigator, which, if true, would date the stone to about 570 BC and offer tantalizing evidence that the Carthaginians crossed the Atlantic in ancient times.

Mainstream historians do not take these claims seriously and presume that, if the stone is something more than a hoax, the carvings were made by Native Americans.

Source - Wikipedia.org Edited by coredrill

good finds!!!

:D:rofl:;)^_^B):):lol::D

by the way.... Happy Birthday!!!

linked-image

hehehehe..thank you!!!

I look at those and they seem like Hellenistic writings, which is later after the Minoans were conquered, they maybe the writing from the fableized great mysterious conquers of the mediterranean sea to the aegean sea. (the disks)

Edited by dest_titor1