Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nemesis: does another star orbit our sun ?

UM-Bot

user posted image rSome years ago a scientist by the name of Richard Muller formulated a controversial theory regarding the possibility of a second star that may orbit our sun in the outer reaches of the solar system. Formulated in 1983, the theory was designed in part to explain a seemingly regular interval of 26 million years between mass extinctions on earth.

Its now widely accepted that these extinctions do occur, one of them killed the dinosaurs,  and were normally the result of asteroid or comet impacts.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: The Paranormal Report

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• The Silent Oblivion

• Wookietim

• Repoman

Top Posters In This Topic

I have already heard of this theory, and I found it really interesting!

I used it for inspiration for an alien story me and my friends were thinking about.

Although it seems strange that such a planet is yet to be discovered.

linked-imageSome years ago a scientist by the name of Richard Muller formulated a controversial theory regarding the possibility of a second star that may orbit our sun in the outer reaches of the solar system. Formulated in 1983, the theory was designed in part to explain a seemingly regular interval of 26 million years between mass extinctions on earth. Its now widely accepted that these extinctions do occur, one of them killed the dinosaurs,  and were normally the result of asteroid or comet impacts. But what sent these objects careening toward earth every 26 million years? Muller believed it might just be due to a second star.  He named it Nemesis after the Greek goddess of divine retribution, and suspects that if it exists it would probably be a common red dwarf type star. He also thinks it should be easily visible from earth, if we knew where to look. If it exists, its almost certainly already been photographed, but simply hasn't been noticed. Stranger things have happened in the history of astronomy. If its out there,  Muller suspects it must orbit very distantly at a whopping 1 to 3 light years from earth, quite distant when you consider that the nearest seperate star is Proxima Centauri at 4.

22 light years away. Nemesis' orbit would be irregular, sometimes making a closer approach, near enough to disturb the grouping of icy comets at the edge of the solar system known as the oort cloud, and sending some of them our way.

linked-image View: Full Article | Source: The Paranormal Report

It seems odd that nobody has yet seen this other planet. And 22 light years IS almost 6 times as far away as Alpha Centauri...

If its out there, Muller suspects it must orbit very distantly at a whopping 1 to 3 light years from earth, quite distant when you consider that the nearest seperate star is Proxima Centauri at 4.

22 light years away. Nemesis' orbit would be irregular, sometimes making a closer approach, near enough to disturb the grouping of icy comets at the edge of the solar system known as the oort cloud, and sending some of them our way.

Is it 1 to 3, or 22?

I have already heard of this theory, and I found it really interesting!

I used it for inspiration for an alien story me and my friends were thinking about.

Although it seems strange that such a planet is yet to be discovered.

They are talking about a star, not a planet.

heard somewhere there's a planet in tow behind a Brown dwarf star with an irregular orbit, but I think that one was supposed to go through our solar system or is part of it like a binary star system.

No no no , it's every time an angel makes a seven ten split we get hit with an asteroid ................ LOL :yes: These are some of the strangest theories I've ever heard . I think the article was saying at it's most distant the star is 22 light years from earth then gets to about 1-3 light years when we have problems with asteroids. It must be on it's way in since they are discovering allot of near earth objects of late.

Edited by X-filesfan

It seems odd that nobody has yet seen this other planet. And 22 light years IS almost 6 times as far away as Alpha Centauri...

Is it 1 to 3, or 22?

The hypothetical orbiting star is supposed to be 1-3 lightyears away, the article is saying that the nearest separate star (Proxima Centauri) is 4.22 lightyears away.

The paragraphs were split wrongly which makes it look confusing.

Some years ago a scientist by the name of Richard Muller formulated a controversial theory regarding the possibility of a second star that may orbit our sun in the outer reaches of the solar system. Formulated in 1983, the theory was designed in part to explain a seemingly regular interval of 26 million years between mass extinctions on earth. Its now widely accepted that these extinctions do occur, one of them killed the dinosaurs, and were normally the result of asteroid or comet impacts. But what sent these objects careening toward earth every 26 million years? Muller believed it might just be due to a second star. He named it Nemesis after the Greek goddess of divine retribution, and suspects that if it exists it would probably be a common red dwarf type star. He also thinks it should be easily visible from earth, if we knew where to look. If it exists, its almost certainly already been photographed, but simply hasn't been noticed. Stranger things have happened in the history of astronomy. If its out there, Muller suspects it must orbit very distantly at a whopping 1 to 3 light years from earth, quite distant when you consider that the nearest seperate star is Proxima Centauri at 4.

I just don't see how this is even possible...

If the nearest "known" star - Proxima Centauri orbits at 4.22 light years away then there's even less space between IT and this "Nemesis" then there's between Sun and Nemesis...

It kinda doesn't make sense for the Nemesis to rotate the Sun instead of Proxima Centauri

i think it is possible since until ow we not even 100% sure how/why planet rotation works. so why not?

Edited by kobolds

first there was pluto, a planet and then it was an asteriod and now right next door we got another star which is pretty close maybe pluto is orbiting that star