Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crawford Road, Yorktown VA - VERY HAUNTED

Veritas81

I live in Newport News, VA right next to Yorktown. There are so many stories around here about Crawford Road and there seems to be some truth to it. It's a winding dark heavily shaded country road with room for only one car at a time, no street lights. There is a bridge that most of the tales revolve around. The story I've heard is that if you drive under the "haunted bridge", turn your car off and the lights, you will hear voices and angry dead slaves will be hanging from the brigde and trees, and you will be paranormally (if that's a word) "attacked" somehow. I wouldn't know from experience, I do know that evil things always happen there both day and night. Recently on the news someone attempted to murder someone and leave the body under the haunted bridge. That's in the day, and the first time I ever saw the road was on the news this year. I myself have never gone b/c I'm too scared I might "disturb" something, attract a restless spirit or something, but this area in general has a haunted history because of the history of Jamestown, Yorktown, the Hampton Harbor etc and all the battles, slaving industry, lynchings, and murders of native americans. Anyway, I did find these two stories on Crawford Road that are more specific than mine and a few other links, I was wondering if anybody had more than the local urban legends. Maybe some real history. Maybe you all want to take the teams out there and take pictures and record footage. If not it's still very interesting. I think there's some truth to it...

I was asked to share this haunt with everyone: The story starts with a dreary road named Crawford Road. Although the road is not significantly long, it definitely makes it up in horror. The history surrounding the road and mainly the bridge on the road is not for certain--however, there are some ideas. One story suggests that a young black bride fled her wedding and hung herself off the bridge to escape an undesired fate. Another suggests that a few black men were hung off the bridge by the KKK for a Klan statement. My experience with the road is limited--I have only been down it once. When we were traveling down the road, I had no previous knowledge of any of the legends that surrounded the road. I do know that when we were a good way before the bridge, I started to get those slow chills--you know the ones--where they start at the beginning of your neck and slowly make their way down your spine. The chills that let you know that something is just not right. I also felt the most incredible sense of dread all down the road, and the bridge...well, that just makes your heart skip a beat. My boyfriend, he's a different story. He's grown up around the area and has had many encounters with the road. Mainly 2 trips down it have stuck out in his mind. The one I am about to tell has an inkling of creepiness that still haunts him and his friends to this day: A friend of his had made him and his friends a burnt CD earlier that day. They were cruising along that night and decided to take a trip down Crawford. Everything was fine until they reached the bridge...while passing under the bridge, the track they were listening to on the CD started making a very high-pitched obnoxious squealing noise. The noise lasted for about 10 seconds until they were well away from the bridge...then suddenly the noise stopped, and the CD was back to normal. The freaky thing about this is that the CD was completely fine before then--they had been listening to it all night. What creeped me out is that that noise is forever imprinted on the track. You can still hear the noise if you play it. Another freaky trip happened to him a few years prior to the previous story. Once again, they were driving pretty late at night and all was fine 'til they drove to the bridge. As they went under the bridge, they felt as though they had ran over something, so they looked to see if they had indeed ran over anything...the funny thing was that nothing was there--at all. A little bit jostled by the incident, they proceeded down the road. However, things escalated at this point: the windows of the car began to fog up. The next thing they saw was handprints making their way up the windows from the outside. after they traveled up the windshield, they heard a thud on top of the car, as if something were trying to get into it. After the thudding stopped, they heard a smearing noise and the back window looked like someone had fallen off the top of the car and was sliding down the window...then the they heard another thud on the top of the trunk...then whatever it was--or could have been, hit the road behind them....scared out of their minds, they looked to see what it could have been. Once again, of course, there was nothing. Supernatural occurrences are pretty common on Crawford Road, from what I hear. A popular occurrence seems to include a lady in a white gown seen on top of the bridge before you go under it, then after the bridge, she is seen falling off of it and then stopping in mid-air and swaying as if she were hanging by a noose. Another popular occurrence is if you drive down the road late at night and stop underneath the bridge, your car will completely cut off...the battery will die and you will need to be towed out from under the bridge. Also, supposably Crawford road has been the site of many murders and other deaths. Many people who drive down the road claim to see something strange in front of their car, which causes them to swerve off the road. Usually, in this case, many meet a very tragic death. If you were to travel down the road in the daylight, you would see a ghastly amount of skidmarks scattered about the road. I saw an abundance of random car parts on either side of the road from where drivers had gotten into accidents. The road creeps me out--big time. I do know that the road holds many tragedies for those who dare to travel down it's path, especially late at night. If anything, one thing is for certain: the people whose lives met an end on that road definitely want more company.

I also found this:

Yorktown - Crawford Road - A woman hung herself from an overpass on her wedding day. Her spirit has been seen her spirit, hanging in her wedding dress. Also, African Americans were hung down the road. A lot of spirits dwell on this road. - February 2005 Correction - Formerly listed under - Poquoson - Crawford Rd - There have been other stories about the part of the road where the Tour Road crosses over Crawford Rd. There is a story that on some nights that you can see a black lady in a white dress walk up on the bridge onto the ledge, then she falls off and then she stops in mid air and swings like she was hung. There have also been stories of your car cutting out and not starting. If you drove down it at night you could see someone hanging from the bridge where someone was hung years ago and that cars have shut off underneath the bridge. - December 2006 additional information: Before you come to crybaby bridge that runs about halfway down from the roads entrance on either side of the vast woods lies a fenced off road that actually heads back into a clearing if you're daring enough to cross the threshold. If you enter the clearing, you will find a solitary building that is long since abandoned with no doors. If you watch, there are red eyes that may appear in one of the open doorways (most likely the very last door all the way to the right) 'watching' you as you move around. Should you get close they may end up vanishing before you can locate them. Going into the building itself, however, yields the very eerie feeling of more than one 'being' watching your every move. It has been seen on film of shadow people walking around along the walls without actually anything being in front of the light source (always in the shape of a tall male creeping along). There have also been reports of people feeling like they have had their feet stepped on, voices whispering, and even hands lain upon the middle of their backs. This experience is random, but best done on a clear, moonless night. But you never know what you might find if you actually go to the radio station once the sun is down.

Other Crawford Road Links:

Haunted: Crawford Road, Yorktown, Virginia; Reported: August 21, 2007

Crawford Rd (submitted 27 July 2005)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• svenshoegazer

• Atehequa

• wolfslayer

• Veritas81

CoolfreakyscaryawesomeW0W! ^_^

hmmm, I live in Northern Virginia, gotta check this out sometime

Yeah you should come around Halloween! And let us know what you find. Hell, I think I'm gonna try to "man up" and get some people to go out there with me at night and research. This time of year it's bound to be active!

• 2 years later...

<!--quoteo(post=1947090:date=Oct 23 2007, 12:20 AM:name=Religion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Religion @ Oct 23 2007, 12:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1947090"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hmmm, I live in Northern Virginia, gotta check this out sometime<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah you should come around Halloween! And let us know what you find. Hell, I think I'm gonna try to "man up" and get some people to go out there with me at night and research. This time of year it's bound to be active!

me and some ppl went out tonight to the old crawford road bridge.

i conducted a few evp sessions and came up with some interesting footsteps that one of my boys heard with there own ears and what sounds like a vioce saying "go over"??

im not sure if theres anything else i'll analyze more tomo and see if i hear anything else, hopefully ill be able to upload these files and post links for anyone interested to hear.

we all also had atleast one personal expierience a piece, for example: heard what sounded like a women humming while parked benneath the brige, ran into a cold spot where we could see are breath. needless to say the place was very creepy.

me and some ppl went out tonight to the old crawford road bridge.

i conducted a few evp sessions and came up with some interesting footsteps that one of my boys heard with there own ears and what sounds like a vioce saying "go over"??

im not sure if theres anything else i'll analyze more tomo and see if i hear anything else, hopefully ill be able to upload these files and post links for anyone interested to hear.

we all also had atleast one personal expierience a piece, for example: heard what sounded like a women humming while parked benneath the brige, ran into a cold spot where we could see are breath. needless to say the place was very creepy.

• 2 months later...

I live in Newport News.

Me and my friend kevin drove down the road in mid afternoon today and we were just messing around, he was telling me about some murderer on the road from back in the 70's so i was jokingly hitting the lock button to lock the doors. After we got under the bridge just a few hundred feet infront of it,(facing newport news) i decided to stop and turn off the car. We started looking around and didnt see anything frightening, so i started the car back up and lowl and behold the car was unlocked, there was a funking sound and then the car locked itself (its an old ford tauras and should not do that at all.) I looked at my friend kevin and hauled ass out of there. no lie. tires were skidding. The windows had fogged up and there were dots all over the windows. It was so freaking. We have decided to get a group together and go explore the abandoned cut off roads along crawford! i plan to come back to this page and tell you about our exploration!

Wish us luck!

Please, try not to bump old threads.

Why?

I've heard many bridgeabandondedroadladyinwhitecryingbabyhandprint stories. This is all very interesting. I'd like to visit someday.

Maybe i'll add this to my roadtrip list.

it has been seen on film of shadow people walking around along the walls without actually anything being in front of the light source (always in the shape of a tall male creeping along)

Obviously slenderman.

• 2 months later...

Okay so I went down there twice this week. It was a pretty awesome experience to be honest. I almost pee'd my pants a couple of times. But anyways I was actually wondering if anyone wanted to get together with my friends and I to find the insane asylum. So if you are interested email me at krystlemusica@gmail.com

• 2 months later...

I recently went under the bridge with my girlfriend, her sister, and one of there friends. Anyways I got out of the car to stand under the bridge and I felt this really heavy feeling at first. Then we decided to go up a dirt path to the top of the bridge, and when we got up there my girl friends sisters friend heart started getting faster and faster, around the middle of the bridge. When she would walk away it would slow down. But anyways then a car pulled up when we were on the top of the bridge so we all ran down there to get back to the car. This man and lady get out of the car and starts talking to us, he said he was taking the women here to study witch craft. Anyways we talked back and forth and he told us stories. He said sometimes if you take a picture under the bridge the graffiti on it will disappear in your picture. So of course I tried to take a picture with my cell phone and at that time I started to feel like I was being chocked, and it felt like I wanted to cry out of my will. It is just weird and I heard that the KKK do human sacrifices by the insane asylum out there, and they normally take outsiders... But the one of the scarier things was the guy told us to go to the insane asylum at 1:am and on a full moon (sounds like a sacrifice to me) and he was giving us directions to it... so I don't know if I went maybe I could of died. Haha definitely I weird road and bridge thats for sure.

Myself and a friend of mine were up in VA for some meetings, and we decided to go to the bridge with my investigating gear. From a personal experience point of view, it was an uneventful visit. That is until I got home and went thru my recordings and identified a Class A EVP that I caught. I have it available to anyone who wants to hear it. Just let me know and I will send it to you. Other than that, we are back in Norfolk for this week, (23-28 May 2010) and we are going back out some evening. Hope to get even more this time around.

Swanee

• 1 month later...

I went there a few times back in 02 with a few friends. Nothing eventful ever really happened, until the last time I was there. We decided to get out of the car (we parked a few feet in front of the bridge and left the car running) so we could check out the bridge. While we were under it we started hearing a scrapping noise coming from above us. Kind of like deer antlers being scrapped against the side of the bridge. So we climb up to the top and we don't see anything up there but some leaves. I looked down the road and saw a dark figure standing by the side of the road about 100 yards away. Looked away so I could get my friend's attention and when I looked back a couple seconds later the figure was about half the distance away from us that it was (it had covered way too much ground in such a small amount of time to be anything natural). So we all kind of freaked out and ran back to the car and took off. At the end of the road we turned around and headed back towards the bridge. When we got to it we all saw a dark figure standing exactly where we had just been on the bridge. Needless to say that freaked us out pretty bad. I haven't been back since that happened, but lately I've been wanting to go check it out and see if I can see the figure again.

Been on that road, quite a bit, and I guess the "ghosts" were just in the mood to scare anybody. I do believe yout comments, just because something spooky did't make me loose bladder control, isn't to say there are plenty of other damp folks that it did happen to. Hang in there, good luck, and always keep Pampers handy, You never know how scarey it might get.

Hey can someone mark down this bridge on google street view for me?

Just search for "State Route 637, Yorktown, VA 23690" then follow the road to the northeast for about .5 miles. You will see it.

My old bestfriend Ashley used to bring me to Crawford Rd and we would sit under the bridge at night with the car lights off. Nothing ever happened but we did get chased by a truck on that road, it followed us to the Yorktown Historic Battleground. One night after waiting for any kind of ghost experiences we went again to the Yorktown Historic Battleground and I heard rifle shots, this was at night. So I believe I experienced Residual Haunting there, but never anything on Crawford Rd under the bridge. I am kind of freaked about the truck thing because Ashley warned me about that and I didn't believe her until it happened. She also said that there is goverment property near there and guards or whatever will pull up in a truck if you are on the railroad tracks and start asking you a lot of questions...then tell you that you are trespassing and that you need to leave.

One night after waiting for any kind of ghost experiences we went again to the Yorktown Historic Battleground and I heard rifle shots, this was at night.

Could it have been people hunting at night?

Could it have been people hunting at night?

Well it is a National Park, and your not suppost to be on the grounds after sunset. So yes we where kind of breaking the law, but really don't think people where hunting out there at that time of the night.

Edited by svenshoegazer

We need to get someone to fund a week trip here. I mean i always wanted to fund a expededtion somewhere and maybe we can go here in va.

We need to get someone to fund a week trip here. I mean i always wanted to fund a expededtion somewhere and maybe we can go here in va.

If you decide to come to the Hampton Roads area of VA to go to Crawford Rd in Yorktown, I will gladly be a guide. I have some knowledge of the legend and experiances the people have had on Crawford Rd.

• 1 month later...

Where exactly is the abandoned building located at?? I have been to crafford road several times and seen the side roads and one road that is fenced off with a no tresspassing sign and it is under video survillance..

I gotta stop by that area. I always mean to but get to involved in going to Williamsburg to see relatives. Good info though.

Edited by Graveyard Hound

• 7 months later...

I went down the road, all the time, i love those kind of roads, trees covering it, pitch black at night, gets my adrenaline pumpin at night, went down the plenty of times. I would say the most interesting thing i saw down there was taps (people from that ghost hunters show) but i did witness something scary, as i was driving down the road one night alone i had always heard from my friends that there radio would mess up on the road, well as i was driving i had my my radio tuned to my favorite radio station (note everytime i go down this road i have always had the radio tuned to that station) well when i was about to get to the bridge my radio static and i could swear i heard a faint voice in the backround (not the speaker from the radio station but a female) well besides that my phone was starting to get the same message over and over again and the weird part is that each time i would get the same message it was spelled different for ex: the first way was this just a normal text "I dont see why" the next one was this "I dOnT sEE WhY" and jst more and more bazaar. Okay i know wat your thinking it was jst a friend who was messing with me, but heres the thing no one knew i was down there and the girl who i was talking to has never done that before and hates doing her texts like that. But thats my story, o and by the way never turn your lights off on crawford U might jst regret it.