Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Report: Iraq dam could collapse, kill 500,000

Bob26003

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Iraq_dam_cou...00000_1030.html

The Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction (SIGIR) published a report Tuesday arguing that Iraq's largest dam is in jeopardy of collapsing, an event that could unleash a 65 foot wave of water on Mosul, flood the Tigris River south to Baghdad and kill as many as 500,000 people.

"In terms of internal erosion potential of the foundation, Mosul Dam is the most dangerous dam in the world," the corps said. "If a small problem [at] Mosul Dam occurs, failure is likely."

Edited by Saru
Reduced quoted text

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevewinn

• Unlimited

• ninjadude

• Raptor Witness

Its up to the Iraqi Government to Fix, if it collapses and floods cities then its up to the Iraqis. the 500,000 are best moving to a safe area,

We have dams all over the US ready to fall...the army corps of engineers estimate we need 100 billion dollars in repairs and upgrades...all the money goes to iraq, i mean the cronies...I dont care about a dam 6000 miles away thankyou..i'm worried about ours..

We have dams all over the US ready to fall...the army corps of engineers estimate we need 100 billion dollars in repairs and upgrades...all the money goes to iraq, i mean the cronies...I dont care about a dam 6000 miles away thankyou..i'm worried about ours..

When people say money for infrastructure and public services is spent on wars. i dont think its all true, because, spending in the UK is higher now than before the wars started,

Edited by stevewinn

When people say money for infrastructure and public services is spent on wars. i dont think its all true, because, spending in the UK is higher now than before the wars started,

we are into deficit spending...your still on the plus side...

we are into deficit spending...your still on the plus side...

(bold)

Think we're to be honest, but thats because lordy Gordy has been borrowing for years, not the war,

Its up to the Iraqi Government to Fix, if it collapses and floods cities then its up to the Iraqis. the 500,000 are best moving to a safe area,

Actually Haliburton and its ilk got huge contracts to rebuild and fix up the infrastructure in Iraq following the invasion. They have failed abysmally

According to the BBC, the SIGIR found failures in a number of the 21 contracts awarded to repair the dam, such as faulty construction and delivery of improper parts

Actually Haliburton and its ilk got huge contracts to rebuild and fix up the infrastructure in Iraq following the invasion. They have failed abysmally

According to the BBC, the SIGIR found failures in a number of the 21 contracts awarded to repair the dam, such as faulty construction and delivery of improper parts

Not good then :o is the Dam used to power anything or used for drinking water or is it just to stop the place flooding?

How can you say that? Iraq is an occupied country. They can't go to the bathroom without the US permission and money. Now if we were to leave, THEN it would be their problem. I was just thinking this is the sort of thing the "insurgents" would want to exploit. Maybe W is setting them up for an even greater military surge and force our spineless congress to help rebuild Iraq with even more money. I smell a rat.

I was just thinking this is the sort of thing the "insurgents" would want to exploit.

I'd agree. It's exactly the kind of thing they'd want to exploit. You'd just need some explosives - not even the need for a suicide attack.

man

i'm all for oversight

but damn, why in gods name would they publish this for the world to see?

its irresponsible

How can you say that? Iraq is an occupied country

well read the article,

"This May, the top military commander in Iraq, Gen David Petraeus, and US ambassador Ryan Crocker wrote a letter to Iraqi Prime Minister al-Nouri Maliki urging him to fix the "national priority.""

this would suggest that it was supposed to be dealt with by the Iraqi governmnent

who awarded the contract?

who won it?

you are assuming it has anything to do with haliburton

For the love of God, they should make this the top priority and fix it ASAP. A terrorist could kill 500,000 if he wants to

Just a smalll thought....

Why are we "rebuilding" or "repairing" this dam ? Surely it was built prior to the invasion, and was not a target for bombs etc ?

So now we are trying to repair structures that where not damaged during the war of liberation ? (or subsequent attacks by insurgents, or neglect over the 4 year interegrum period).

Why is this a problem for the Coalition ?

Meow Purr.

• 6 years later...

Probably a topic that should be resurrected. Especially since the U.S. is bombing ISIS militants now in control of this facility.

Can these nimrods be trusted to maintain it? I don't think so.

Edited by Raptor Witness

Actually, I read recently that they have hired some engineers to try to stabilize the thing. Apparently they want it to continue in it's work. The little I've learned of it though seems not very promising. Our Corps of Engineers says the thing is an accident waiting to happen. It seems to be built on a base of gypsum (think sheetrock) and without constant grouting it would collapse in weeks. So sooner or later it will probably fail. Hopefully they have a good advanced warning system for those downstream.