Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Leaping Lizards!

Archosaur

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• draconic chronicler

• Archosaur

• bball

• DigitalDreamer

I would love to see one gliding around in my room! :)

Well, the ones nowadays don't have as long of a neck, but you can own similar gliding lizards, appropriately called draco, that are still living today.

Well, the ones nowadays don't have as long of a neck, but you can own similar gliding lizards, appropriately called draco, that are still living today.

Actually, Drac, I immediately thought of you theories when I saw this.

P.S. would these critters (the modern lizards, that is ;) ) make good pets?

Actually, Drac, I immediately thought of you theories when I saw this.

P.S. would these critters (the modern lizards, that is ;) ) make good pets?

There are a number of "fantasy" dragon reconstructions that rely on these "ribwings" instead of the less probable "six limbs" in our four limbed chordate world. The question is if such wings could have eventually evolved into something that could provide lift. But consider insects, particularly the bumble bee which scientists say should not be able to fly, just as they say a large dragon couldn't fly either. If an insect could develop non limb flying wings, why couldn't other animals?

Actually these very cool lizards don't do so well in captivity for few people would make the large enough of a terrarium to glide in. Though they do not have to glide.

I've seen these draco lizards in India. Very unique lizards. The spreading of the ribs remind me of how a cobra spreads its vertebrae and ribs to "flatten" its hood.

There are also flying snakes that flatten their ribs to "parachute" to other trees.