Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Ningen: Japan's Sea Monster

Mad Cow

WARNING: The pictures attributed to this sight are very creepy. If you are the kind of person to easily get "spooked" or hate "grotesque things," then I advised NOT to look at the pictures.

Behold the “Ningen“. Meaning literally “Human“, it’s allegedly a very large unknown animal sighted by Japanese fishers, which bares an uncanny resemblance to us. Not only a face, but other reports include even arms and hands.

Continue reading for more pictures and even videos. All artistic illustrations, but being Japanese, they are extremely nice, and as imagined sea monsters, they sure are terrifying.

One could speculate that a sea creature, even a known one, could be mistaken for a “Ningen”. Skates and rays, for instance, have nostrils and mouths that look like a face. In fact, they look so “human” that they are often mistaken or sold as devils or extraterrestrials — and Japanese fishers know that for centuries.

But the Ningen is allegedly 20 to 30 meters in length. And we may not even have to bother considering it very seriously, because this cryptid seems to be nothing more than a modern Internet legend.

There are no verifiable names for the alleged sightings. In fact, there are no names nor actual sightings, only vague reports that the creature was seen near the Antarctic Ocean. From the artistic interpretations in this page, you can also see that its appearance is pretty much up to the artist’s imagination.

Acknowledging that, though, we can appreciate what’s surely a nice modern version of the old sea monsters legends. Here are some more illustrations:

Maybe Loren Coleman over at Cryptomundo could tell if such descriptions of sea monsters resembling humans is actually old, and this is just a repackaging. I suspect it is, afterall, mermaids are in a way related cryptids. Maybe the size detail is the only difference.

Almost all the graphics on this post were taken from this Japanese page.

All your Ningen needs may be supplied by searching on Google. In Japanese, of course: look for “????“.

linked-image

linked-image

Is is an internet hoax, or is it real? Some of the photos are convincing, and there are two videos.

The Ningen

Link

First pic is more believable. Second looks very photoshopped.

Although I find them both hard to believe. I'm not gonna dismiss it altogether because there's no saying whats out there. But this doesn't seem very plausible. Japanese and their advanced technology probably invented it haha. But this doesn't seem like something that is likely at all. Perhaps with the second pic, if it is real, which I doubt it is, but an explanation could possibly be a giant stingray or guitar fish, the underside ofcourse.

As for the first pic, I don't believe thats possible, but ya never know.

If you could obtain anymore info or pictures I'm interested in checking more into it.

Yeah that first one is more believable than the second but im not sure about either of them they both look a lil too fake to me but you really never know whats in the deepest parts of the ocean

Hmmm. Never heard of it, but looking at the other pictures that site linked to, it looks very similar to the "glowing giant" in Neon Genesis Evangelion; a Japanese anime.

IMO its definitley fake. :rolleyes: Second picture looks really fake, and the first looks like a pic of a whale (or maybe a whale shark) that has been halfway photoshoped. :lol:

• Like 1

God knows what might lurk in the deep places of the world, but I don't think the Ningen is one of those things.

Did nobody go to the linked site!!! Look below for what is said....IN CONTEXT. I despair of some of you people

Continue reading for more pictures and even videos. All artistic illustrations, but being Japanese, they are extremely nice, and as imagined sea monsters, they sure are terrifying.
  • Like 3

Both are photoshopped, and sorry guys, I'm half Japanese. I know it's fake, anyway, rather than that Ningen, actually Japan have a rich story of Mermaid or undersea people. There's the ages old story of Urashima Taro who was said to be brought into undrwater castle. And there's a legend about an emperor who ate the flesh of a mermaid in order to live eternally, but he was cursed by the people of the sea.

• Like 1

Need I even point out that one of the pictures on that site is an Eagle Ray from underneath? That's not an artist's rendition. That angle does look very human-like though, and it could be what they're actually selling and describing in a lot of the alleged accounts.

IMO its definitley fake. :rolleyes: Second picture looks really fake, and the first looks like a pic of a whale (or maybe a whale shark) that has been halfway photoshoped. :lol:

They're not meant to be the real things. If you read the post you'd realise that all pictures of the "Ningen" are artistic impressions.

Those are really wicked illustrations, really creepy. I don't think such a creature exists though (the site says the illustrations are based on actual sightings seen by fisherman) and more than likely it's just a big sting-ray. What purpose would a giant sting-ray like creature have with a human-like face, complete with human-like teeth? scary, but not probable.

I agree with you kenshinx, it's the Hollow again, maybe the bigger ones, waiting for a Shikigami to pass on a boat or something. I'm gonna call Abare Renji on the double! :D

They're not meant to be the real things. If you read the post you'd realise that all pictures of the "Ningen" are artistic impressions.

O sorry. I missed that part.

• 11 months later...

This seamonster is very real in the world where I lived for a while when a suffered a coma due to a very serious heart attack.

In the world I then lived in I was attacked by a seamonster that looked very much like the Ningen, but was only the size of a human.

As I was told there, the Ningen was created by Japanese mad scientists from world war II by genetically manipulating a specious of ray with human genes.

the people I then lived with hunted these creatures with animal skin boats that looked like umiaks with a skin roof.

both of those pics look terribly fake to me. i also think i remember a thread about this from probably close to a yr. ago & it was proven to be a hoax.

it's doctor evils submarine from goldmember!

This seamonster is very real in the world where I lived for a while when a suffered a coma due to a very serious heart attack.

In the world I then lived in I was attacked by a seamonster that looked very much like the Ningen, but was only the size of a human.

As I was told there, the Ningen was created by Japanese mad scientists from world war II by genetically manipulating a specious of ray with human genes.

the people I then lived with hunted these creatures with animal skin boats that looked like umiaks with a skin roof.

and you are tripping balls! your mind actually created another world for itself when you were in a coma? i think i have heard of that happening, pretty cool.

those pictures are sooo fake no question

and how the hell do you get a picture of that so close

there are probably creatures in the deep that are monsters tho miles down

Those two creatures look nothing like each other. How can they be the same.

sorry folks, there are no large creatures in the sea left to be discovered